List of Top, Prestigious Awards

making it = getting into ISEF from a competitive fair
winning a first place medal = winning best of category grand award

This thread makes me laugh. It’s been around since before I came here, and it’s been making reappearances ever since. It’s on the front page of HSL for a considerable amount of time, considering it’s been around for a year and a half.

All riiight, 35.

And yeah, this thread is a little ridiculous…but if we can assign a number to ourselves to make us feel better about getting into college (though it obviously may have no basis in admissions reality), why not? I feel better.

S - 55 and a grain of salt.

Well depending on certain factors I either have a…27, or a 72.

Very little. Isn’t that the thing where you just pay money, and they take you?

Yup, I think they have one for law and medicine too. Also LeadAmerica is like that.

yes i learned my expensive lesson with people to people. do you have a pulse and 5 thousand dollars? welcome to our program! it sure is fun and memeorable etc but it is not an honor to be accepted…

10 - D1 athlete, IMO/IPHO/ICHO/IBO gold medals, Intel (top 10), Siemens National Winner/National Finalists, ISEF top 3 Grand Prize
9 - ISEF(1st places), Siemens Westinghouse (finalists), MOP, Intel Finalist, Presidential Scholar, Davidson Fellow
8 - TASP/RSI/NIH Research, Science Bowl/Ocean Science Bowl/NAQT winners, USPhO/USChO/USABO/USAMO/USACO national finalist, Siemens Semi-finalists/ISEF(2-4 places), Intel semifinalist, Scholastic Writing and Art, Running your own <em>successful</em> business,
7 - Selective summer programs or competitions, such as SSP, Clark Summer Program
6 - USPhO/USChO/USABO/USAMO/USACO semifinalist,
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests, All-Eastern/all-regional music,
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other languages, some state awards (all-state music, etc), Science Olympiad state medals (depending on what state you’re from)
3 - All-County music, winning at local/regional science fairs, Eagle Scout, National Merit
2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies (art, music, community - although they will say something about your character), Essay Contests
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, School Departmental Awards, School Honor Roll
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Roll

seems science bowl, ocean science, and naqt have been left off here.

and I don’t think USPhO/USChO/USABO/USAMO/USACO semifinalist should be as high as 7, moved to 6. there were over 20 people from my school alone in USABO semis. >_<

question, how high would science olympiad national medals rank?

USAMO really should be moved up to 8. Only 300 manage it, and probably only 200 are actually in the college applicant pool.

^USAMO is at 8. I think USAMO semifinalist meant AIME qualifier…

^no, it means USAMO qualifier…finalist = MOP.

No way science bowl or ocean science bowl or NAQT belongs on the same level as national olympiad finalist/RSI. I’d put it at 6 or 7. Same with National Sci Oly medals.

And not sure what school you go to yjna, but semifinalist in an olympiad is pretty good…usually 500-1000 of the best in the nation. Just because your school is good doesn’t mean that the award should be demoted.

piccolo, then why is MOP at 9 and USAMO finalist at 8…?

Because whoever put that up doesn’t know that much about how USAMO and stuff works? USAMO is the name of the semifinalist test for the Math Olympiad, and USACO/USABO/USNCO/USAPhO are all more general names.

10 - D1 athlete, IMO/IPHO/ICHO/IBO gold medals, Intel (top 10), Siemens National Winner/National Finalists, ISEF top 3 Grand Prize
9 - ISEF(1st places), Siemens Westinghouse (finalists), MOP, Intel Finalist, Presidential Scholar, Davidson Fellow
8 - TASP/RSI/NIH Research, Science Bowl/Ocean Science Bowl/NAQT winners, USPhO/USChO/USABO/USAMO/USACO national finalist, Siemens Semi-finalists/ISEF(2-4 places), Intel semifinalist, Scholastic Writing and Art, Running your own <em>successful</em> business,
7 - Selective summer programs or competitions, such as SSP, Clark Summer Program
6 - USPhO/USChO/USABO/USACO semifinalist,
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests, All-Eastern/all-regional music,
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other languages, some state awards (all-state music, etc), Science Olympiad state medals (depending on what state you’re from)
3 - All-County music, winning at local/regional science fairs, Eagle Scout, National Merit
2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies (art, music, community - although they will say something about your character), Essay Contests
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, School Departmental Awards, School Honor Roll
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Roll

yes, that’s what I thought…

so here’s i’d put some of the missing things:

6 - USPhO/USChO/USABO/USACO semifinalist, Science Olympiad National medals
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests, All-Eastern/all-regional music, AIME qualifier
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Rol

This is so depressing.I may just curl up in a ball and eat ice cream untill I freeze to death or something.

USAMTS (USA Mathematics Talent Search) needs to be added…
gold/silver medals should be an 8 (like USAMO) and bronze/runner up should be a 6.

Also, although this isn’t really an award, but where would being fluent in multiple languages (like 5) go?

^if you can get a gold in each language’s “National Exam” multiple years then I’d put that at about a 9.

Also, regarding olympiads…jdlkem hit it on the head. Physics has the hardest olympiad to make semis for, chem and bio are easier but this depends on where you live. In NY, CA, or NJ I’d say qualifying for chem semis is much closer to usapho semis. In remote regions I’d say it’s even easier than qualifying for bio (actually…I know an IChO medalist who automatically qualified for the national exam because he was one of two people taking it in the ENTIRE REGION).

So:

Physics: 7
Chem:0 - 6.5
Bio: 6