List of Top, Prestigious Awards

updated list:
10 - D1 athlete, IMO (etc.) gold medals, placing at Intel
9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
8 - TASP/RSI, USPhO, USChO, USABO, MITES
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships, Scholastic Art and Writing
6 - National Merit Finalist
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, National AP Scholar
3 -
2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, etc.
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Roll

I’m not too sure where the level of All-State music groups should be. In my state, it is not too hard if you are a very good [not great] musician…but New York is probably harder.

I think National AP scholar should switch with National Merit. There are only 400-or so pre-seniors (the summer before senior year) who get the award. National merit is way more.

9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO, Scholastic Art and Writing
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships,
6 - National Merit Finalist
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, National AP Scholar
3 -
2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies, Essay Contests
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, etc.

I agree with TwinkleToes…it is VERY difficult and much more rare to qualify for National AP Scholar after junior year than to qualify for NM Semi-Finalist…same goes with State Scholar

9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO, Scholastic Art and Writing, AP State Scholar AFTER Junior Year
7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships,
6 - National Merit Finalist, National AP Scholar AFTER Junior Year
5 - AP Scholar w/ Honor OR Distinction
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, AP Scholar
3 -
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, School Departmental Awards

i still think AP National Scholar should be higher than national merit. Just because i’m an AP national scholar but i missed national merit by one question (two points)

LOL. it’s all about me

What would Golden Gloves Champion be ranked? Such as 2007 New Jersey Gloden Gloves Winner. Does that count for much?

Why does nobody ever notice USACO (USA Computing Olympiad)? The top 15 go to Colorado over the summer (roughly equivalent to the corresponding USAMO ranking), then the top 4 become the US IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics) team. Although it’s (apparently) not as well known, I’d rank it up there with the other USA_Os.

1 Like

anything you have to pay for shouldn’t even be on the list.

Careful, all. Masterus is bound to show up on this thread eventually, and as much as we all enjoy a good laugh, we’d better get the serious discussion through with before he shows up…

rofl kcarl

For those awards that are applicable (such as NMF, in that it is awarded after college apps are due but before final decisions are made), what number do you all think is a good cut-off as to which awards should be updated to your schools?

I would have normally put it at 8+, but a lot of people seem to put NMF in high regard, even though over 90% of NMSFs get it and it is not an award that will make you stand out of the applicant pool to a competitive school. Or would most people just report everything down to level 2, such as small scholarships or local competitions?

has anyone heard of National History Day?
Where would you put that?

depends on what you win and how far you get…States for National History Day is like a 2-4 award (depending on state)…National National History Day is like a 6-7…the humanities equivalent of qualifying for ISEF

this thread is depressing me

^^^Join the club…lol

alright, since i like this thread, in one way or another, i’ll give my opinion

10 - D1 athlete, IMO/IPHO/ICHO/IBO gold medals, Intel (top 10), Siemens National Winner/National Finalists, ISEF top 3 Grand Prize
9 - ISEF(2nd-4th places), Siemens Westinghouse (semifinalists), MOP
8 - TASP/RSI, USPhO, USChO, USABO, USAMO
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, AP Scholar, some state awards
3 -

frankly though, I really dont see the point of the AP scholar awards. It really isnt that impressive; its just taking classes and part of going to school. (and this is comming from the guy who will have 20 APs done by graduation, all 5s so far).

what about awards from student organizations like fbla on regional, state, and national levels

Why is Siemens semifinalist a 9? Colleges do not care much for that, as there is no process in the competition by which they separate kids who know their research from kids who just “borrow” it from their mentors.

The same pertains somewhat to Intel semifinalists as well, although to a lesser extent, since they consider all the other factors like grades, SAT scores, essays, etc. That being said, the top 40 for Intel is already extremely good and would likely be ranked a 9 at worst.

I wonder why you took off the Scholastic competition from this list…?

10 - D1 athlete, IMO/IPHO/ICHO/IBO gold medals, Intel (top 10), Siemens National Winner/National Finalists, ISEF top 3 Grand Prize
9 - ISEF(2nd-4th places), Siemens Westinghouse (semifinalists), MOP, Scholastic Writing and Art Competition
8 - TASP/RSI, USPhO, USChO, USABO, USAMO
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, AP Scholar, some state awards
3 -

Where do Perfect SATs/ACTs go ?