Living off campus - not so good areas of Tuscaloosa

Anyone familiar with the “not so good” areas of Tuscaloosa? My son and his 2 roomamates are looking at off campus housing for next year. The place they like is called Element just right off Universal Blvd, east of campus about 2 miles. I believe about 30th and Universal Blvd. It sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the houses around it. I think this is one area where the tornado hit a few years ago.

South of Skyland blvd and west of Martin Luther King blvd are areas to avoid. The midtown area has a lot of traffic, construction and resultant dust. This area was hit pretty hard by the tornado so not too many trees remain, it’s a concrete jungle.

I looked up the location of the Element place, it is actually pretty good. It appears to be in a fairly residential area which should be tranquil and looks like an easy commute to campus without any high-traffic routes or intersection.

@raven2016 Are you on the Facebook parent’s page, there is a ton of information about off campus housing there and parents with a wealth of knowledge.

Campus Evolution and Brittain Landing are no-no due to constant risk of intruders within complex.

If your son and his friends can get in touch with a local paramedic or firefighter there, they can get some great information about which off campus housing to avoid. You really want to get an idea of just how often 911 is called to the community. Some housing appears safer than it really is just because it may not be in well-known less than desirable areas.

As far as the new Element apartments, I think it is good that it is on the east side. I am not familiar with that particular apartment community, but my student did not look at any housing unless it was in Northport or on the east side of the university (and preferably not a complex that catered entirely to college students, either, but that is his personal preference.) After looking at the Element website, there are some nice amenities and I like the modern look but the price - ouch :slight_smile:

I was told by a local mom to stay away from the Element and the Grand at Rum Creek. She said although the complexes were nice, the areas are not good. I am not from the area, so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Is that near the Ole English Inn and the Moon Winx Lodge (two of the creepier looking establishments I’ve seen in T-Town)? If so, my daughter was looking at rental houses in that area last year and we drove past them when I was in town for A-Day. I told her to look elsewhere. I’m not familiar with Elements, nor did I check crime statistics or have any concrete reason to nix her living in the area - I just didn’t like the looks of it.