Loft beds

<p>How does this actually work? </p>

<p>1.Cut off date for ordering one...before or after room assignments.</p>

<p>DD has already connected with someone over the net and asked to be roomed together, but I don't want to order a loft based on their conversations, especially if Tech does not room them together.</p>

<ol>
<li> At the open house they said you can bring your own Loft system. Would it be financially worth it to buy our own?</li>
</ol>

<p>I’d wait until after your daughter receives her room assignment to order a kit if it’s necessary. From what I understand, not every dorm needs/allows the RHF-rented/self-built lofts; some dorms like Peddrew-Yates will have a university-supplied “loft kit” in the room at move-in.</p>

<p>Don’t buy your loft unless you plan on living in the dorms for at least two years. Even then unless you feel like selling it afterward it’s probably better to rent so you don’t have to worry about hauling it back home and storing it for the summer.</p>

<p>Yeah, ideally, you’ll rent from someone OTHER than VT who is local. They make you take lofts down and return them a day or so before finals start. I don’t know about everyone else, but I certainly would not have liked taking my bed down with a week+ to go. My roommate built his and I borrowed a loft from a local, by the way.</p>

<p>Not that our room was messy, either. We just had greatly rearranged it and taking my bed down, moving everything, and then living with a floored bed would have not been a pleasant experience. Definitely something that’s better to handle once finals are over.</p>

<p>When you get your room assignment, check on the housing page - it lists each dorm and whether the lofts are already provided. My son was in O’Shaughnessy and the beds were already lofted when we got there (metal lofts) but he did have to dismantle them before he left for the summer.</p>

<p>When you loft you still have to keep the bunks in the room, so when you have to take the lofts back you’re not stuck sleeping on the floor; you just have to bunk them again.</p>

<p>Are there any configurations where you don’t HAVE to loft any beds? Any way at all possible? Thanks.</p>

<p>Yeah, you can leave your beds bunked.</p>

<p>edit: Oh, do you mean where neither bed is high up? I’ve seen people stash the bunk stuff and put their beds up on cinderblocks or something so it wasn’t right on the ground. It’s possible, but you lose a LOT of room.</p>