Looking at majoring in engineering and then going to medical school

<p>How much study time do you think I would have to put in to achieve this? I know that engineering and pre-med are both hard majors but realistically how hard would this be? Would taking an engineering degree tract with a few extra science classes be sufficient to prep myself for the mcat? I want to do this because the undergraduate work for pre-med majors normally is not that challenging and im sure there are plenty of students that are working towards a pre-med major (zoology, or biology) but never get into medical school after they complete their four years. I want a degree to fall back on in case I don't make it into medical school. I am currently taking calculus 2 in high school and have already taken calculus I. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>I think you need to look at the curriculum at the school(s) you might consider. It is definitely not necessary to even be a science major to be pre-med as long as you take the required courses. But with engineering I think it might depend. Many engineering programs don’t give you a lot of electives to play with. For instance, if you major in biomedical, biochem or chemical engineering there might be enough cross-over to be more easily doable than if you are an electrical, computer or mechanical major.</p>

<p>Premed is passive studying compare to medical school, this has to do with the nature of the beast – medical school is more potent. </p>

<p>Premed is easier than medical school, but that doesn’t mean that it will be less time consuming. You will have to devote time for labs when you are in Premed, and this will strain you a bit – even harder if you are double sword strain with engineering.</p>

<p>It will certainly be a challenge, but its quite possible to do both engineering and premed. Your freedom might be restricted because of the tough academic pressure you have place upon yourself. If you manage premed and engineering well for an undergraduate, than you might be able to transition into medical school swiftly – avoiding the premed to medical shock.</p>

<p>I did civil eng with premed. It’s tough, but you’ll still have a social life if you work smart and hard. The basic rules of college are: 1) work first play later 2) don’t skip class and for every 1 hour of lecture, put in 3 hours of study time to memorize and apply what you’ve learned. </p>

<p>I don’t advise doing this route unless you like both premed and engineering (premed isnt a major btw. Premed just means that you take some courses that meet the requirements to apply to medical school). Also be prepared to put in at least 1 extra semester if not a full year in order to have a normal college life, too which is also very important</p>