Looking for percussion/drum set schools

Hi everyone - My son is a junior and is very interested in studying percussion/drum set. We are having a few problems finding schools that allow him to study both classical and jazz (drum set). It seems that he has to choose one or the other.

Does anyone know of any schools where he can study both? He was actually told by one school that we visited that he wouldn’t be able to play in the percussion ensemble if he was a jazz major.

Also, if anyone knows of any great percussion schools we should look at it, I would love the recommendations. We are not really looking at conservatories, but larger schools excellent music schools.

So far on our short list we are looking at…
Frost
University of Michigan
The New School
Indiana University
DePaul

Thank you!

2 Likes

My percussion kid is just finishing up at Temple (Boyer School) and they definitely had jazz students in the percussion studio (very talented ones!).

I know you stated no conservatories, but Oberlin has an incredible jazz division and musicians can play in lots of ensembles, time permitting, of course. It’s obviously a lot smaller than the schools on your initial list.

I would think he could take lessons from the percussion faculty of the conservatory division if he desired. My guess is he would need to choose which major he’s doing, but could work with either department.

Apologies if you’ve already gone down this road with Oberlin.

What is your state of residence?

I’m not real knowledgeable on percussion. However your list, with the exception of DePaul, seems to be primarily large programs. These schools do often have more of a “silo” approach. The schools are competitive meaning the can pick and choose. Some teachers/programs may be focused on working with and producing the top classical percussionist and may not be so interested in students that split their interest. So this is why you may be finding the schools less than accommodating.

If you widen your search to some of the LACs or not as notable names but still excellent programs you may find more flexibility in curriculum. A school like St. Olaf comes to mind along with Oberlin. I will let instrumentalist/percussionist parents/students respond with program names.

I just want to let you know that what you are discovering is a common issue. You do need to really dig into the schools to make sure your kid’s interests will fit well with the school.

My D had multiple interests and I remember thinking if we just visited the school and spoke with them, we would find out that they would accommodate all my kid’s desires. To my surprise, most had their own way of doing things!

In the end, my D did end up at a large school with silos…with a teacher known for a classical style only…but respected my D’s interest in other areas. So don’t write any school off too early, if it’s seems like an interesting program. Just be aware that schools/teachers do have varying interests in kids who wanted a wider path (as opposed to a narrow one).

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with wanting a wider path of studies. So just do the work to find some schools that accommodate that.

I suspect that Loyola New Orleans would be accommodating of your son’s combined interests in jazz and classical music. I know they’re good in music generally, but don’t know about percussion.

I’d also check out Ithaca in New York and U. of Hartford in Connecticut, too. Lastly, if you’re in Chicago to visit DePaul anyway, you may want to check out Roosevelt to see if it’s of interest.

Lawrence, Ithaca, Bard, UNT.

Oh, thank you! That is definitely on our list to look at. I think I read some of your posts before. It’s difficult to find that information as some seem to be 2 completely different tracks.

Thank you! We have definitely heard great things about Oberlin. I guess we just wanted him to be able to pivot if he wanted to. It doesn’t seem likely though, he is 100% committed to music.

We are in NC.

Thank you so much! Yes, I was shocked that it was so strict. I am really going down a rabbit hole here and he is only a junior! I think we were looking at larger programs because we thought they might be more open to it. Now I’m not so sure. Also, he is scared off by some of the smaller schools that only take 2-3 percussionists a year.

So, did you find out your information before you visited or at the visit? It would be nice to narrow it down before we travel all over.

Thanks again!

Thank you! Adding these to the list and yes, we are visiting DePaul. Will definitely check out Roosevelt when we are there. It’s nice to be able to see more than one per city.

1 Like

Thank you! Adding these to the list.

You can do a little bit of everything at Wesleyan:
West African Drumming, Music - Wesleyan University

Thank you!

My son is a percussionist at one of these schools. :blush: He went in planning to do biology as a possible minor, but with music ed there really wasn’t time. He absolutely loves it and is now doing a double degree in education/ performance.

A few opinions below:

You’ll find out about the schools/teachers/programs over the next year and a half. It’s a long process of discovery. You will think that one school is a no go only to find out there is a teacher that would be great for your kid. You’ll think your kid wants to do both…and then in 6 months…they change their mind. Most parents on here will attest to a lot changing over Jr and Sr year.

So…when in doubt, spread it out. Have a variety of schools…even the scary ones with only a few spots. I wouldn’t remove schools until later when it’s very obvious it’s a no.

How to make the list: keep asking people for information. His private and school teachers should be helpful. This site can be helpful along with other places. Maybe he goes to a Sat school? Or participate in some music honors program. Keep asking for information.

Contact music admissions at the school. Remember they can be a bit of the “sales arm” of the dept so you may get the old “sure he can do that”. But you can ask for example: how many kids do both classical and jazz. Could we communicate with a student directly about their experience. This is not an uncommon “ask”.

Parents do differ on who should contact the school. If it’s contact with a teacher (or student), I feel that it should only be the student (your kid). However, for music admissions, I think that it’s fine for a parent to do some of the leg work. I would be blunt with the school about the cost to travel and therefore you trying to some leg work on the program before buying a ticket. Most schools are very understanding about this. You could also get an email address to a key administrator and have your kid send the questions.

Some people worry that if they do approach the school in the wrong way, they could tank their kid’s opportunity. That is not true. I don’t think you’ll see an administrator in the audition room! Of course, be short and concise…and not a pain!

Finally, many moons ago, we did none of this. We stumbled around, wasted money, were confused often….and my D still got acceptances. She even started at her school…and we all thought she’d have lots of flexibility. Many students start as double degrees etc…and then reality sets in about the work load…and everything starts to narrow a bit. That’s OK in the end. Just be sure that it is a stimulating environment. People can overlook all the extracurricular, student produced activities. In some cases, that is where students can get outside their core studies and find enrichment in other areas of music. Another thing to ask about…

Good luck!

4 Likes

This is so helpful. Thank you so much. I’m really appreciate it. Great advice.