Looking for small LACs to visit this summer

Preferably south for warmer, more stable weather; preferably east coast for somewhat easier access to home (direct flight to BWI would be good). Major likely to be bio/chem or other science major for pre-med or PA track or possibly even research. It’s still early to know for sure, but definitely stem major and probably small to mid size would be best for her (smaller classes of 20-50 kids where the professor is likely to know you). She’s not a partier, likes mellow evenings going to dinner or a movie for fun - tends to stick with a few close friends rather than parties. Access to food variety would probably be important. NOT a top 20-50 type school that would be a stressful/competitive atmosphere but something with more balance. Basically schools that prioritize well being and health versus being a stress keg. All this is for health reasons. Ideally, good diversity is important as well.
Maybe I’m asking for a lot, but maybe not? Just don’t know where to look. After all that, the school should also provide opportunities for clinical experience if she pursues med school path.
We’ll be visiting North/South Carolina this summer. Maybe also Florida. Thanks!

3 Likes

Rhodes in TN comes to mind.

4 Likes

Have you looked at any of the local Maryland/DC schools yet? Goucher, American, Towson?

3 Likes

Considered academically, Richmond represents a good match for your daughter’s interests.

2 Likes

Guilford is pretty relaxed and friendly.

2 Likes

Thanks all - will research these. She’d actually prefer not to be in MD. I’ve heard of Rhodes - Univ of Richmond may be good as well - good size! Have not heard of the one in NC but will look.

1 Like

Elon, Belmont, Sewanee, Furman, Rhodes

4 Likes

I would double-check the vibe on all of these (one of the Florida schools might not be the right social fit…I can’t remember which one), but these are some schools that I’d consider for your daughter.

Florida

• Eckerd: About 2k undergrads
  • Florida Southern: About 2800 undergrads
  • Rollins: About 2500 undergrads
  • Stetson: About 2900 undergrads

Georgia

• Agnes Scott: Women’s college of about 1100 undergrads. Part of the Atlanta consortium that allows students to take classes at other Atlanta schools (like Spelman, Georgia Tech, SCAD, Emory, etc.).
  • Oglethorpe: About 1500 undergrads. Also has a flagship match program for eligible students and is part of the Atlanta consortium.

North Carolina

• Meredith: Women’s college of about 1400 undergrads
  • UNC – Asheville: North Carolina’s public liberal arts college. Has about 3200 undergrads.

South Carolina

• Wofford: About 1800 undergrads

Tennessee

• Lipscomb: About 3k undergrads

Virginia

• Christopher Newport: About 4500 undergrads
  • Eastern Mennonite: About 1k undergrads
  • Roanoke: About 1900 undergrads
  • U. of Lynchburg: About 1600 undergrads
5 Likes

Washington college in Maryland sounds absolutely perfect for her. Fits everything you said except the dining hall might not have the variety she want. But she can walk to High Street in Chestertown and go to Figgs for gluten free and vegan foods! Great stem school, amazing instructors who absolutely get to know their students, great support for pre-med (100% acceptance last year, most years in the 90s). Social life is a lot of small groups of friends doing things and smaller parties for those who want it. Movie theater near by. Clubs, clubs, clubs. And the clubs host a lot of events open to all students (you don’t have to be in club to attend event). There is usually 4 events a week or more to attend. Farmers market on high street each weekend with lots of fresh food. But really, the professors shine here. And research opportunities for undergrads. Collaborative feel (vs competitive) Gives great merit, don’t look at sticker price.

Edit: just saw she prefers to not be in Maryland! Oops!

1 Like

I was just popping in to recommend Washington College as well. Maybe worth a visit if you are close, just to have something to compare to.

3 Likes

Eckerd College would be good one to visit…

1 Like

We toured Emory last year and it seemed to match a lot of what you are saying you are looking for. Stunning campus. We were there in the summer so I can’t speak to the whole population, but the diversity seemed the same as the more selective LACs we have toured.

1 Like

Summer is a bad time to visit LACs, IMO. There’s usually no students and not much going on.

If that’s the only time you can go, I agree with the suggestions for Elon, Agnes Scott (women’s and super diverse), Hollins (women’s) and you could try College of Charleston (not a LAC, but a medium sized school).

1 Like

UNC Asheville is worth a look, as @AustenNut mentioned. It’s larger than most LACs but very small for a public school (~3000 undergrads), and the academics and curriculum requirements are more rigorous than its selectivity suggests.

UNCA is more laidback and quirky/artsy than most of the southern LACs except Hendrix and NCF, and the city of Asheville itself is quite nice.

3 Likes