Looking to transfer into the Graphic Design program

<p>BTW this was posted earlier...but I wanted to get some direct feed back from some UM people.</p>

<p>Hello...i'll try to break this down easy.</p>

<ul>
<li>I'm 19 years of age</li>
<li>Graphic Design major @ The Art Institute of Washington</li>
<li>3.2 Overall GPA</li>
<li>School operates on Quarter system...10 weeks is a quarter.</li>
<li>2 year student</li>
</ul>

<p>Now I am looking to transfer into the University of Miami first or George Mason University if I don't get into UM. I will be applying for UM's School of Arts and Sciences for Graphic Design and to GMU for Art & Visual Technology. </p>

<p>I know that UM's transfer students come in with a college average of 3.3 and George Mason usually falls around the 3.0 mark. A couple of concerns I have is the transferability of my credits. There are "rumors" amongst the student body here @ AIW that the credits are "difficult" to transfer for whatever reason. I assume because of the Quarter system...I'm not sure. The school IS accredited to my knowledge. So I don't exactly know the validity of the rumors. Of course as an art student, I take majority art classes...the only Gen Ed classes I have taken are: Composition, Research, Survey of Literature, Beginning Algebra, College Algebra, Speech,Career Development. If I were to take an average from these classes alone, it stands around a 3.4.</p>

<p>Reading the Transfer Requirements from Miami and George Mason, neither require High School SAT and Counselor Referrals. Exactly, how true is that for Miami? I believe I read a post here where a female said the school requested an essay, SAT, and counselor info even though it says it isnt needed for Transfer Students on the App. Also...being that I am a 2 year student, I will have had an Associate's Degree by the time I get a decision from either school. Do you think this increases my chances any? Another thing is that based on this quarter system...I have a final semester to complete which is supposed to begin in October and end in December. This means that my GPA is likely to significantly increase, but again I will have had a decision from both schools by then. Do you think I should note this when applying?</p>

<p>And overall, how you feel about my overall chances to get in both schools?</p>

<p>I really don't have any concrete answers for you unfortunately as my son went to UM as a freshman. I can tell you however, that he had 18 credit hours from the junior college system in Illinois earned through dual enrollment during high school. Only 4 credit hours transferred, that being his foreign language. Enough to satisfy his foreign language credit. His credits in calculus and science classes didn't transfer. </p>

<p>My honest suggestion is to contact an admissions counselor from UM and talk to them. Tell them honestly about the classes you are taking and find out what they think. I do know that my son had to submit his transcript from the junior college well after his acceptance so we had no clue as to what would/wouldn't transfer when he made his decision.</p>

<p>Wish I could give better advice, but it's probably best for you to go right to the source.</p>

<p>Best of Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks...there is an information session for UM here in DC next Monday...hopefully I can talk to some of the people there and get some feedback.</p>

<p>One other question...if you're son went as a freshman...does that mean he had to submit his application as a high school student would (essay, SAT, counselor comments, etc.)?</p>

<p>Yes...he went through the normal application process (app, SAT, recommendations and essays.) He got his acceptance late fall his senior year, and had to submit his college credits the summer prior to starting.</p>