LOR Help: Dual Enrolment Student in Majors Subjects, Worried About Who Is Best To Ask for LORs

Can experienced posters here help my kid figure out the best course of action for letters of recommendation for college applications? My kid is applying to STEM schools with a decent GPA and ACT score. A mix of schools, but some reaches, some out of state, and state schools (CA so UCs and CSUs).

Kid did a sport throughout school and had some decent results last year. This, however, meant school was mostly dual enrolment in key courses (math, science, English) for junior and senior years. Not nearly the same amount of high school interaction and in-person instruction as the average applicant.

Last year, one community college teacher took time to connect with my kid during office hours; the final grade was a good one and this teacher got to know my kid as a math student fairly well. Would this be a good teacher to ask for college recommendations? (Math hasn’t been on-site at the high school for my kid.)

Also, my kid has a great, supportive teacher that has taught them in middle school (history, Spanish) but has not been a core humanities course instructor since then. This teacher has been a supervising teacher for handing in work (independent study school, work is turned in in packets) and Phys Ed. So they know my kid fairly well. But isn’t a core humanities instructor from junior or senior year.

Would this teacher be viewed as not the type of recommender that colleges want to see? My kid’s humanities courses were more asynchronous, and not always live classes.

My kid is unsure of what would be best in this situation, and I don’t have any expertise in this matter. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.