Low GPA/SAT acceptances for Cal or UCLA?

<p>Just out of curiosity… does anyone know of any cases where people with a >3.5 GPA and a >1800 SAT score have gotten into either UCLA or Cal?</p>

<p>people getting in with 3.5 GPAs is rare because it is significantly below the average, which was 4.13 for 2006. last year, of all applicants with GPAs between 3.30 and 3.69, 4.3% got in, and between 3.70 and 3.99, 14.7% got in. an SAT around 1800 is also below average, although not as much as a 3.5 GPA, and i know people who have gotten into ucla with scores between 1850 and 1900. A 3.5 and 1800 will be very tough though unless you have amazing EC's, essays, circumstances, etc.</p>

<p>Only cases I think can think of are football players.</p>

<p>is that 3.5 UW or UC gpa?</p>

<p>i'm sure it's possible and that it has happened before though it would be very, very rare.</p>

<p>Kaobeikaobei, I think UC GPA.</p>

<p>Did you mean <3.5 UC GPA and <1800 SAT, because a vast majority have over 3.5 UC GPA and 1800 SAT. </p>

<p>Of course you can make it into UCLA and Cal with those academic stats, but you'll just have to make up for them in other areas. It also depends on which school you go to. An 1800 SAT is not that big of a deal since SAT isn't weighed as heavily as GPA. A 3.5 from a tough high school can still be competitive and even more so if you show a significant upward trend.</p>

<p>Would a 3.5 UC GPA be roughly comparable to a 3.5 UW GPA?</p>

<p>Not really, UC gpa caps honors and AP points at 8 sem. (and excludes some frosh/soph honors classes)</p>

<p>Rarely...</p>

<p>If you are an African American mixed Latino / Cherokee Indian.. grew up from a meager environment, and accomplished a lot outside of the classroom.. i'd say you have a decent shot with less than 3.5 UC GPA and around 1800 SAT</p>

<p>TheRighteous,</p>

<p>No, I'm definitely talking about a less than 3.5 GPA/1800 SAT. It's certainly a lot rarer than other cases, which is why I'm interested in knowing if anyone's gotten in with such states.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p><3.5 GPA and a <1800 SAT
This means less than 3.5 GPA and less than 1800 SAT.</p>

<p>TheRighteous, i'm sorry, i'm just really confused.</p>

<p>are we talking weighted or unweighted?</p>

<p>Maybe I just haven't done enough math since discrete mathematics, but isn't ">" the greater than sign and "<" the less than sign?</p>

<p>So, the original post wanted to know if there were "any cases where people with a >3.5 GPA and a >1800 SAT score have gotten into either UCLA or Cal?" Since the average GPA and average SAT of people who get into Cal and UCLA are around 4.15 and 2000 respectively, doesn't it seem obvious that the majority of the admits of higher than 3.5 GPA and 1800 SAT?</p>

<p>based on the way the question was asked, i'm sure the OP meant around that score or possibly below.</p>

<p>Yeah. Sorry about that. Didn't catch that until just now. ><</p>

<p>But just to clarify, I'm talking about the UC GPA only, not unweighted.</p>

<p>I know a guy that got in with a 14-something SAT score. I was absolutely shocked. He had a good GPA, but he didn’t speak very good English. I mean, of course he got help with his essays, but I wasn’t expecting anything stellar enough to get him into UCLA. He had a 4.0+ gpa. Basically, it’s really a crapshoot with this school sometimes. They’ll reject amazing students and accept some shockers.</p>

<p>For future applicants its possible
Mexican-American
First Generation college student
wgpa: 3.8
SAT: 1690
ACT: 24
not much EC but Very stellar essays
Class of UCLA 2015;]</p>

<p>I got into UCLA, Cal, UCSB, and UCSC with a 3.45 weighted gpa and SAT score of 1740. Many of my 4.0 friends didn’t get into UCLA or Cal</p>

Thats amazing. Can I ask what you think got you in? Like did you get a supplemental questionnaire based on your personal statements?