Madison? UMN? Or Lacrosse?

Recently I applied to UW-Madison’s 2016 term, and was denied admission. I can’t say I’m surprised based on my stats, but I’m determined to apply for the Fall 2016 term. However, because of my struggles my freshmen and first semester of sophomore year, I’m starting to believe UW-Madison is no longer an option for me. It’s frustrating because I know I’m capable of handling the rigorous coursework Madison offers, but I don’t think with my GPA I’ll be able to prove it. Its incredibly frustrating because I’ve transferred twice already, and I am only interested in transferring one more time. I’m currently attending UW-Stout, I was drawn for the art program when my original intention was to be a Graphic Design major. But as I continue my coursework here, I’m discovering my love for chemistry, most notably the environmental sciences, and because I am able to focus again I find that I am capable of understanding the curriculum offered and have developed a passion for it. I still have a passion for the arts though, so my plan was to attend UW-Madison for a B.S.-Art degree instead of the B.F.A, and study the environmental science BS degree in the College of Letters and Science. Because of my denial, I’m beginning to have strong doubts as to whether I can even consider Madison as a possible transfer school. At this point, I’m trying to evaluate all my options considering my current circumstances, and hopefully earn the best education possible with my mess of a college career. My credits best transfer to UW-Madison for both degrees, but if I have to take more courses for the major at other universities, I will. I’m considering UW-Lacrosse as it is a UW school and my credits will transfer more easily, and its much simpler for me to determine courses to take. I am also interested in UMN-Twin cities, mostly because it has similar aspects and rigor as Madison, but I worry how well my credits will transfer. Basically, I need as much help as I can get at this point to figure out my best option for success.

High School Stats:
HS GPA: 3.017
ACT: 35
Extracurriculars:
Food packing for a charity
Softball in HS
HS Yearbook
HS Newspaper

College Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 2.0, 44 credits (1.81, 55 credits if including repeated/attempted credits)
Food packing for a (different) charity
Intramural Softball
Part of University Newspaper Staff as a Layout Designer
Academic Honor Society
Hall Events Committee

I forgot to mention I have a very strong upward trend, and medical reasons as to why I could not succeed.

The reasons behind my poor GPA are I recently discovered my body is unable to properly metabolize medications that would me with issues I’ve dealt with since the beginning of high school and help me focus. Only 1 medication is able to be metabolized, and it was released only 2 years ago. Since I have started this medication, my grades and interest in school has increased significantly. Also various personal/family/medical issues affected my GPA, such as the loss of a friend and my father being diagnosed with cancer in very close succession.

Spring Semester 2015 I earned a 4.0 (9 credits, Art courses to build a portfolio)
Summer: 3.0 (3 credits, Social Justice)
Current Semester: ~3.85(18 credits, Chem, Math, English, Art History, and Photography), and 3 extracurriculars (University newspaper, Academic Honor Society, and Hall Events Committee).
After this semester, my GPA will be approximately 2.55 (2.3 if including attempted/repeated courses).
I am interested in transferring because I feel I am not challenged at my current university whatsoever, and have received almost no help from my advisors in determining my options. Hence why I’ve turned to you guys. Also, a B.S.- Art is not offered here, and the environmental science major here is not very good. I’m beginning to think it’s too late for me to go to my dream school. Regardless of where I go, I’m extremely proud of my improvements, and I want to continue learning as much as I can now that I know I’m able to again, and reach my full potential.

I’m not sure but don’t you need a 2.8 GPA to transfer to Madison?

@julia161 I believe you may be thinking of the Guaranteed Transfer Program, I don’t think there’s a set minimum for admission anymore. The website used to state a 3.0 minimum usually is required for admissions, but many exceptions were made for this rule so they removed it (I was told this by a transfer advisor).

unfortunately Madison cares a little too much about GPA. But I still think you should definitely apply and focus your essays on your passion for the program madison offers and how your medical conditions affected your gpa.
Twin-cities is also a great school and is very similar to madison. From what I’ve heard, it’s easier to get in even for WI residents.
UW-LaCrosse is different than the other two. The school is smaller and does not offer as much opportunities as the other two. But, considering your stats and situation, this might be the safe school.

@goldstaar thanks for the reply! Yes that’s exactly what I’m thinking, which is really upsetting for me. My education has become so important to me, now that I can focus I want to learn as much as possible and take advantage of as many opportunities as I can. I know I’m able to handle the course load at Madison, but it may be too late.

I thought I did very well on my last essay but I was still denied, I included all the reasons why I couldn’t excel and why I wanted to go to Madison, so I suppose any advice on what I should change or add to my essay would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Just a suggestion, but I would look at UW Green Bay. From what I hear they have a really great Environmental Science program and the campus is beautiful. Also, Green Bay is a great city with a lot of internship opportunities.

@sawyerB I was just looking at them today! I’m considering it, I suppose my main issue is being challenged at the university I go to. Obviously I don’t know for sure how rigorous the coursework is at Green-Bay since I’ve never been there, but looking at the academics and difficulty in college stats sites, it looks about the same level as my current university.

Still, if it’s the only option left it may be the school for me, or at least a safe school.

Just found out my Chem- 115 class is a higher level course at Madison, but everywhere else it’s a lower level course. Really strange. I’m incredibly stressed now because it’s a requirement for the environmental science major at Madison, but no other school in the UW system. What an absolute mess.

Chem 115 at UW-Madison could be completely different in content and difficulty from Chem 115 at your current school.

@Madison85 According to the transfer credit wizard, my Chem-115 course at Stout transfers to Madison as Chem 109, Advanced General Chemistry, which would allow me to study Organic Chemistry. A higher level course at UW-Stout, Chem-135, transfers to UW-Madison as Chem-103, which is a chemistry course at a lower level than Chem 109. However, its considered a pre-requisite for organic chemistry at every other university, and Chem -115 doesn’t meet the pre-req for any other school. It’s completely backwards.

@Madison85 heres a photo

http://i67.■■■■■■■.com/2h3vbew.jpg

I tried reading your wordy posts. The gist of them seems to be liking chemistry and “arts” but being denied by UW (the flagship). You need much better grades to have a good foundation and you need better study skills to show you can do the work. Your gpa shows your ability to succeed at UW- or not. Test scores can indicate a lot of potential but you need to translate this into successfully learning what is taught. From your grades I do not believe you have learned enough material to be successful at UW. I suspect they denied you admission based on your college record- you have not proven you know how to learn material presented.

You need to figure out your goals more clearly. Talk to people in your career advising center. Find out which paths lead to jobs in environmental chemistry if that is your goal. Figure out how far you wish to go- BA/BS, MS, PhD. Figure out what you mean by arts- and if you would rather pursue a major in one of these. Look at majors at other UW system schools- the courses required and offered in areas of interest to you. UWGB may also fail to meet your intellectual expectations. You may find a more compatible peer group at UW-Lacrosse if the two flagships won’t take you.

Re Chemistry 115-116 at UW. There likely are no comparable courses at other UW system campuses because this is an Honors sequence for mainly majors. Also, just because a course has the same number/is given credit for a UW-Madison course at different campuses may not guarantee the same material is presented. Student expectations can vary from campus to campus. Chemistry 103-104 is the typical general chemistry sequence taken before Organic Chemistry by students without an advanced chemistry background in HS. The numbering is very logical at UW-Madison (and hasn’t changed in many decades, although content keeps up with the times).

By now you’ve learned some harsh lessons in life. Good luck. It will take extra work to get back on the track you envision.

@wis75 I hope to major in art and science. A general art major B.S.-Art and an environmental science major (or at UW-La Crosse, Biology major with a concentration in environmental science). Meeting with an advisor at La Crosse on Friday.

I’m signing up for 16 credits next semester instead of the 18 I am currently taking, and hopefully taking an internship opportunity and volunteering every Saturday at a place I recently volunteered at and loved. I know it obviously won’t make my grades look any better, but it’ll help I suppose. Thank you guys so much for the advice, its been incredibly helpful.

Good to have goals. Remember that you will need to choose among many options in science and in art. Also you will have to decide how to spend your time- lab sciences and art fields both require many hours per credit. You will need to become practical about choosing one to earn a living and the other to indulge your interests in. College is about limiting choices in order to expand on one or two. Depending on how things fit in you likely will find yourself choosing one or the other and taking classes in the one not chosen for a major without meeting degree requirements in it. There is always the chance to take courses just for the fun of it without needing to major in the field. You will be deciding to limit yourself to one area of science or art as well. Consider the broad picture of where you see yourself in ten years. Your advisor will be considering this when you discuss your possibilities. Your path does not need to be etched in stone but you need a path that has some focus.

@wis75 The major benefit I saw with the B.S.-Art was the large amount of liberal studies/non studio/general education credits I needed for the major that are unrelated to art, which would allow me to take environmental science courses to fill in those requirements, as they’re also part of the College of Letters & Sciences. I’ve set up an appointment with an advisor to see how this would all work, but from my own research it seems entirely possible to major in both. Of course, this is if I’m even able to be admitted to Madison. Trying to find other schools that my credits transfer to just as well, but not much luck so far. Still looking though, its becoming pretty stressful.

There is no set job at this point, but I’ve discussed with faculty at my current university the possibility of having a career involving both art and environmental sciences, and they’ve said I have many options to choose from. In my spare time I’m searching for future careers, as long as I’m doing both art and science, I’ll be happy :slight_smile: