Making a list and checking it twice – things parents can do now to prepare for sendin

<p>As far as medicine goes, I had no problem either finding someone who had the medicine to lend me some, or chances are that, like me, your D or S will encounter more than enough 19+ year olds that will take pity and make a stop by Rite Aid or Publix for meds. I’ve never met anyone who seriously encountered the age issue.</p>

<p>I would rather encounter a Zombie Army than a teenaged girl growling for her dose of Midol.</p>

<p>I was talking about OTC meds… Let them be responsible for the rest… My son has probably never stepped foot into a drugstore but he will learn very soon to get his own stuff !</p>

<p>Midol is OTC…</p>

<p>For those of you setting up new bank/credit union accounts for allowances and misc expenses, make sure you set all the accounts the way you want them. </p>

<p>At two places we looked at, you have to specifically ask to set the debit card up to Reject/Refuse if the student/cardholder tries to overspend. Otherwise, it may flop the expense over to a revolving credit account and add $30ish for an overdraw. </p>

<p>If you’re an OOS student with a car and a job and a lot of potential emergency expenses, revolving credit may be appropriate. But a carless and careless kid not keeping track of his pizza budget is a horse (elephant?) of a different color.</p>

<p>I greatly prefer being prepared over having to run out for meds or supplies, especially when I’m not feeling well. I packed a box with OTC meds and other supplies for my daughter her first year. We both counted ourselves lucky that she didn’t need many of the items, but they were there if she did. Before returning for her second year, she checked expiration dates and found most items were fine and took them back to campus again. As luck would have it, she used many of the items during her second year.</p>

<p>For those who prefer to “wait and see”, there is a 24 hour CVS on McFarland Boulevard near 15th Street (across from Krispy Kreme.) Target also fills prescriptions. There is another pharmacy on the opposite side of the street from the SHC on University Boulevard. I’d hate to have to run out late at night while feeling ill though.</p>

<p>For those like me who prefer to be prepared in case their student needs the Midol, allergy meds, cold medicine, anti-itch creme, or neosporin, well…carry on! You’ll find some of the smaller size packages are great to pack.</p>

<p>I used a photo box from the scrapbook section of Hobby Lobby to make D’s first aid kit. It is the same size as a shoebox, no lie. Just a bit sturdier and decorated. She and I did it together. We shopped for the items to go in it, what to use to put it all in, how to decorate it, etc. Just some great mom and daughter bonding time. We had a regular size box of band aids, the allergy/sinus meds, advil, tylenol, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, emergen-c, etc all in there. It does not take up hardly any room.</p>

<p>I also would prefer to be prepared and not need it. I know she is going to need some of the stuff. She uses it here at home from time to time.</p>

<p>Since this thread is loitering in the health and medicine aisle, I’ll remind everybody to think about the best way to secure meds. </p>

<p>Small lock boxes for meds (and passport) may be appropriate. I purchased a lockable under-bed storage container that is large enough to hold random small items as well as a laptop and other valuable tech gadgets. Also useful for students who may have jewelry.</p>

<p>I’m not planning to send anything particularly valuable to TTown, not counting DS and his tech gear, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he locks up his Metallica and Assassin’s Creed t-shirts, just in case.</p>

<p>I would recommend using the Moody Music Building bus stop to get to Rite Aid as it doesn’t require crossing University Blvd. </p>

<p>Rite Aid is the closest pharmacy to campus and often has reasonable prices on snack foods and toiletries. They are very good about having advertised items in stock.</p>

<p>Many students will take the Sunday shopping shuttle to Target to get their prescription refills. Target is good about getting prescriptions refilled at whichever location is nearby. Simply call the local Target pharmacy a day or so in advance and ask for that location to fill the prescription so that they can be sure to have the medication(s) in stock or can get them by the next afternoon.</p>

<p>Check to see if your insurance offers discounts for using their mail order pharmacy. Having medications delivered directly to one’s mailbox is very convenient.</p>

<p>We use the Target pharmacy at home. They are great! If you do have your student use the Target pharmacy have them enroll in the pharmacy rewards plan. They will then mail you a coupon for 5% off an entire day of shopping just about each month, excluding Rx meds. In addition, take a voided check or deposit slip to Target and get a Target Debit Red Card. Each time you use the Target debit card you get another 5% off your entire purchase. You CAN use both the 5% rewards coupon AND your Target Red Debit card for another 5% off. </p>

<p>FYI, Target does price match even if you pull it up on your phone standing in the store or scan it and find a lower price.</p>

<p>I hear Publix is expensive.</p>

<p>Do they take coupons?</p>

<p>Do they price-match?</p>

<p>Any hints about shopping for groceries there?</p>

<p>What are their hours?</p>

<p>I have been told that the Publix next to campus does not have a pharmacy.</p>

<p>Publix is often considered to be the best grocery store chain in the US and many people are sad when they move away from an area with Publix stores. Publix brand items are of equal or better quality to the national brands.</p>

<p>Publix can have great deals, especially with their BOGO deals. Note that one can buy an item that is BOGO for half price if you don’t want to buy two of the item.</p>

<p>Publix accepts competitor’s coupons, doubles manufacturer’s coupons 50 cents and under, and actively encourages customers to come in with large amounts of coupons via a sign which reads “We Welcome Couponers.”</p>

<p>Publix closes at 11PM. The hot case section of the deli closes earlier and while the sandwich station appears to be closed, it’s open until 11PM.</p>

<p>Note that the Publix closest to campus may their smallest location of 1000+ stores and has a limited selection of some products, but will have everything one needs.</p>

<p>The Wednesday penny item coupon found in the newspaper is a great deal. Spend $10 and get a specific Publix brand item for a penny.</p>

<p>Thanks SeaTide!!! Wonderful you are still active here!!!</p>

<p>Which newspaper do you mean?</p>

<p>The Tuscaloosa News</p>

<p>One can also have the UAPD late night security give them a ride to/from the Publix.<br>
It is ON campus. The property it is on belongs to UA.</p>

<p>Definitely need the first aid box, love the photo box idea!</p>

<p>Publix is a wonderful store as SEA indicated. </p>

<p>That said, if you are stubborn about what brand you buy and exactly when you buy it, it can be very expensive. </p>

<p>The trick to “winning” and loving Publix is to go every Wednesday, and be flexible. Mystery Coupon, BOGO, deep discounts, and store brands only. So sorry if you had a taste for something else; get it next Wednesday. Their BOGO deals extend beyond food. Time it right, and their toothpaste, shampoo and sundries prices can beat Target and WallyWorld.</p>

<p>Be patient. They are generous with their half-price deals, and they rotate their bargains really well. This week you’ll get donuts, next week you get bagels. This week chips-ahoy, next week Oreos. And so on.</p>

<p>I told my son to shop with a full stomach, and to go in with only a general list: 1 breakfast, 2 lunch meats, 1 fruit, etc.</p>

<p>He won’t do it, of course. But I feel better.</p>

<p>Bumping this, too</p>