Marching Band (Band of the Hour)

<p>Mets#1 - I decided to pull this out so LadyConfused can have her thread back!</p>

<p>My D was in the band for 2 years - probably will not do it again due to scheduling conflicts with her major. </p>

<p>To answer your questions: The kids play at all of the home games. They get (bused) to the Orange Bowl early for rehearsal, parade through the tailgaters lot and play for groups, into the stadium for a pre-game show, line the opening of the 'tunnel' to cheer the players as they run onto the field, then into the stands where they play throughout the game. They do a show on the field at intermission, and after the game stay in the stands until the crowd is gone. Their final song is always the Alma Mater, which, without fail, makes me cry!
They are really a big part of the 'game experience'...they work hard but have a lot of fun.</p>

<p>There wasn't alot of travel this past year, but in general they do one regular season away game - I'm sure it will be the FSU game this year (Tallahasee)...they travel by bus, their food and hotel is provided - either meals are planned or they get a stipend and get their own. Its on a weekend, so no classes are missed. Many kids do schoolwork on the bus - hotel is not conducive to studying (!).</p>

<p>Post season travel depends entirely on how the FB team does - they could go to the ACC final and/or a bowl game - you just don't know until December.</p>

<p>Last year they went to a Bowl in Boise Idaho and were the FL kids shocked at the cold! The school makes all the travel arrangements - kids let them know what airport they want to use.
This might help answer you: <a href="http://www.music.miami.edu/band/both.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.music.miami.edu/band/both.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>ctmom, thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Sorry to revive a somewhat dead thread but here it goes...</p>

<p>How well does the marching band schedule "jive" with the orientation schedule? I saw the one for last year's band week and it seemed like a lot of the marching and stuff draws you away from the whole experience of orientation.</p>

<p>I'm very undecided about marching band... Can I join as a sophomore if I do not participate as a freshman?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Kensir - I would say that basically "Band Week" is your orientation - by the time the other incoming freshman arrive, the band kids are pretty well established. They've made strong friendships and definitely know their way around campus.<br>
They do get excused for some of the orientation activities, so meeting the new roommate, floor mates, advisor, etc. doesn't get missed.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure that you can join as a sophomore but the stipend policy was changed a few years back so that you don't get paid until you've completed year 1 and 2 (it used to be after each year).
I'll check for you.</p>

<p>Thanks! I guess I just have to decide now...</p>

<p>Regarding travel, how much do they do? I know it says they do one regular season away game, but do they take a pep band to other games? The OU game this year is in OK and on my birthday and if they travelled, I really wanted to be able to come home for my Birthday! I know it sounds sad, but it kinda seemed like a "fate" moment when I saw when they played OU. </p>

<p>If they take a pep band, is it based on an audition? Or random selection? Or do they just not take freshmen?</p>

<p>Sorry Music, but I wouldn't count on a band trip to OK!!
Away games are<strong>days off</strong> for the band.</p>

<p>ctmom
the band students start a week earlier, when should the parents go to UM? should I go that week to set her up or during orientation?
also the dorms open on 13th but try outs start on the 11th do they give her temporary housing?
thanks</p>

<p>found out the answer if anyone wants to know.Parents still go down during orientation. The Band of the Hour puts the kids up at the Holiday INN until dorms open on the 13th.</p>

<p>Maybe its changing, but the past 2 years, the dorms have opened early for the band kids, orientation advisors, and RA's.
This was a huge advantage (esp. first year), as D was able to move in before the rush...by the time the rest of the freshmen arrived, she was all settled and knew her way around campus.
I went down with her before band camp to get her settled, and H joined us for orientation.</p>

<p>ctmom,
percussions has auditions on the 10th, so they put them up at holiday inn because dorms dont open until 13th. full band (all members) start on the 13th so they can move right in. I wish we could go down with her right away. but it would be too many days off from work. band director said most parents go for orientation. thanks for your help!</p>