Match DD24 4.0/1460 seeking merit and a motivated student body

I wrote a post awhile ago. I wish I could find it. In a nutshell it’s too new with no standards. It can be housed in the business school, CS or engineering.

If I’m looking for a data scientist how would I know if you had higher level math or CS classes unless I knew the program? if you have a degree in math, physics or engineering I know what I’m getting. Some of the best data scientist’s I’ve worked with were Physics majors. Plus, if you decide to hop careers a degree in math, finance or CS is a known quantity unlike data science.

As for GT, it’s a reach but I think your D’s stats are competitive. They like well rounded student leaders who are good at math. Scheller is a well regarded business school and if she likes IE she can transfer. The M/F ratio is skewed but there’s 20k undergrads plus Atlanta is big. Emory isn’t far.

https://www.isye.gatech.edu/

And they offer Catholic services. Pretty good the few times we’ve been on-campus.

https://gtcatholic.org/

3 Likes

Been thinking about your D’s college search some more. Has your daughter given any thought to becoming an actuary? If she likes math but is looking for more practical applications, that might be an option to consider.

Also, I want to thank you for mentioning that racial representation on campus is a factor in your family’s consideration. In researching my prior list, and this list, I have been astounded at how low the percentage of students identifying as Asian on some campuses have been.

By the way, I am not Roman Catholic, but they tend to be in urban areas (which your daughter seems to prefer), mid-sized or larger, and depending on their particular tradition, can provide a great intellectual environment. Thus, this particular list is dominated by them. The schools on this list also gave me some optimism that they might have decent art facilities, too.

Jesuit Colleges: Known for their tradition of intellectual curiosity and social justice.

• Creighton (already mentioned upthread)

• Fairfield (CT): About 4800 undergrads with 2% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in business analytics, majors in economics (via Arts & Sciences and via the business school), finance, and has a minor in Applied Statistics. Arguably the hardest school to get into your price range via merit aid.

• Loyola Chicago (IL): About 12k undergrads with 13% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in Accounting and Analytics, Applied Math, data science, economics (in both Art & Sciences and in the business school), and statistics, among other majors.

• Loyola Maryland: About 4k undergrads with 4% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, applied math, data science, economics (again, both in business and in arts & sciences), general statistics, and quantitative economics, among others.

• Saint Louis (MO): About 11k undergrads with 10% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in biostatistics, data science, economics (B.A. and B.S.), Geoinformatics and Geospatial Analytics, among others.

• Xavier (OH): About 4900 undergrads with 3% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, data science honors program, economics, and business analytics and information systems, among others. The Smith Scholars Program in the business school may also be of interest as it integrates liberal arts and business.

Non-Jesuits

• Elon (NC): About 6300 undergrads with 2% identifying as Asian. Sticker of about $56k, and your D might well get some merit aid here, but it’s unlikely to be a huge amount of merit aid. Offers majors in business analytics, data analytics, media analytics, statistics, applied math, and a minor in data science. (Also, I think they’ve realized that “analytics” is a great marketing term.) Lots of people really like this school, as discussed in this thread. More small town/rural-ish than may be desired. No religious affiliation.

• Siena (NY): About 3500 undergrads with 4% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, applied math, business analytics, data science, economics (BA & BS), marketing research and analytics, and a minor in biostatistics, among others. Associated with the Franciscan branch of Roman Catholics, and they describe that relationship here.

• U. of St. Thomas (MN): About 5900 undergrads, with 5% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, data analytics, economics (with iterations in general, business, international, mathematical, and public policy), geographic information systems, and statistics, among others. This is another Catholic church and its mission and convictions are linked.

• U. of the Pacific (CA): About 3300 undergrads with 35% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in applied math, business analytics, economics, finance, and sports analytics, among others. No religious affiliation.

1 Like

Good luck to explain to people what is Industrial Engineering. I had some ridiculous situations when I had to explain to HR of the hiring company what is the field…

1 Like

Before diving to Industrial Engineering, look at 4 year plan at Georgia Tech.
https://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/industrial-engineering-general-bs/
Is it something that looks attractive or not to her? It is not really a business major per say. It is more simulation, optimization, process improvement etc.
Also a minor quote from GaTech website in March of 2023:
“This year, 52,354 students applied to become part of the 2023 first-year class at Georgia Tech. The overall admit rate was 36% for Georgia residents and 12% for non-residents.”
Please be realistic…

2 Likes

At Penn State, have her look into the SODA major as well as IST College.

https://ist.psu.edu/

She would probably need to highlight key courses on her resume below her majors, major gpa, gpa -but it’s generally a good thing to do unless you took a fairly standardized program like Accounting or anything accredited like ACS or ABET.

Example of requirements for the business major at GA Tech. Still pretty math heavy and the sciebce electives are unlikely to be typical “science for non majors” offerings such as “Climate Change in films” or “Discover Astronomy” like at many universities.
https://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/business-administration-information-technology-management-bs/

1 Like

Business students at GT take 2 Calculus classes. The same as engineers. However, they tend to offer favorable sections for business or non-STEM majors.

You can also use AP credits or just take it a local CC. My son did that with Physics. Doesn’t like it and the advisor told him that’s what a lot of kids do. Of course I wouldn’t recommend this route for EE/ME majors though.

That’s the good thing about your other schools like Pitt or PSU. They offer similar routes.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned with my son’s educational experiences is that there’s multiple paths to get where you want.

1 Like

Engineers typically take 3 Calculus courses (unless you’re MIT and combine that content into 2 courses) and differential equations. Linear algebra and/or discrete math is also often required depending on specific branch.

Yes. I was stating that GT business students take the first 2 Calculus classes that the engineers take. Not “business” calculus. Engineers continue on to take more Calculus classes.

Actually, out of curiosity, I checked since in prehistoric times when I was a TA and Math major for BS at GaTech, there was definitely Math for Business major track. Well, since I am currently not a student :slight_smile:, I Googled. It turned out that it looks these day there are 2 options for Business majors. Students can choose either option. One is a regular Math sequence (1500s), and another is a simplified one (1700s) - like Survey of Calculus etc.
Here is the link for one of the business majors (there are many concentrations, and most have these options)
https://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/business-administration-operations-supply-chain-management-bs/
You can see that there are also two options for CS requirements (harder and simpler).

2 Likes

Someone up above mentioned Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and I didn’t want that suggestion to get lost. My son attends there and it could be a good fit for your daughter. They are known for their engineering/comp sci programs as well as their art programs – it’s a weirdly bifurcated student body with half the kids being techy geeks and the other half being artsy geeks. But they do have a solid business program (Saunders College of Business) that they are investing in by building a huge new addition onto the business building. I don’t know a whole lot about the business program but the art facilities and tech facilities are amazing. They offer a lot of creative and specific majors (in the computing college, they don’t just have comp sci, they have software engineering, web and mobile computing, human computer interaction, new media design, etc.) – pretty sure they have the same sorts of specific majors in the business school and a lot of them skew techy (like analytics or information systems). They also have a lot of combined BS/MS or BS/MBA programs. My son is majoring in SE in a combined BS/MS program - he’s hoping for the MS in data science although they don’t actually have that as a combined BS/MS option yet - they said they would by next year. He’s also getting minors in music technology and applied statistics. They have a longstanding coop program that both helps cover the cost of tuititon while in school and ensures that the kids graduate with real life experience - most graduates seem to get great jobs right out of college, often at companies they cooped at. List price of tuition is expensive but they are generous with merit aid and AP credit and being female would probably give her an extra boost. It’s not the typical college experience - the student body skews geeky and there’s no football team or huge parties every weekend. (Hockey is their big --and pretty much only–spectator sport.) But for the students who fit there, they really really fit there – for many, it’s the first time in their lives they are surrounded by people with the same nerdy interests that they have. My son loves it and I honestly don’t think he could have found a better school for him.

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone who has responded with very valuable information. D attended a college info session at her HS today and when she asked the rep about the possibility of doing a business major with art and data science minors, the HS guidance counselor attending the session told her that was a terrible idea and that she wouldn’t graduate for six years. She told her to forget about the art minor since it’s unrelated to her field. D came home feeling discouraged today and I’m frustrated because while I realize it may not be possible to do it all, I figured D could go to college, explore some courses and see what is possible as she goes. Is that the wrong approach? D said the counselor was quite aggressive in informing D that she had a terrible plan. So is she approaching her search all wrong by looking for schools that offer these three areas of study?

I think it depends on the school. And the student.

But my child is starting her second year and already has senior standing thanks to AP credits. She is on track to get dual bachelor’s degrees and a minor. Now she worked it out so both degrees are in the same college department, which makes it easier. But lots of colleges have some type of data science within the business school. So I don’t think it’s “terrible” at all.

Now if she were to pick a school full of capacity-constrained majors and hard-to-get-into classes and needed to get one degree in the Statistics Dept in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and another degree in the College of Business and a minor in the College of Fine Arts — well, that could be tough.

But I don’t think it is one size fits all.

3 Likes

Sorry for that experience.

it’s school specific and kid specific. Someone coming in with more credits, starts ahead of the game.

Some schools allow 3 majors.

I’m looking at Alabama (where my son went) and the Art Minor is 21 credits. I don’t see any pre reqs (maybe I’m missing) so I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

My daughter’s school doesn’t have the minor.

I think the counseling session should be more about preparing for college and not wrecking a kid’s dream.

it’s going to be hard for her to “forget” it - but that’s exactly what she should do.

The question should be asked to the admission officers and perhaps on school visits, you can set up meetings with the art department and go over your plan - and you’ll find if the school’s are right. Or you can email schools of interest in advance to ask or set up a quick zoom with the department.

At this point, I would say everything should be on the table.

And that counselor should be counseled - it doesn’t seem an appropriate response.

And this is coming from the person many on here accuse of being inappropriate to others (a bit too blunt).

5 Likes

Don’t be discouraged, where there’s a will there’s a way.

Your DD may have AP credits? May have at least a semester’s worth? Or credit for IB?

Plenty of colleges offer some inter disciplinary or cross department registration.

May need summer study or possibly an extra semester.

Art can be hard bc classes are long and is usually in different college or school than business.

3 Likes

I know your daughter has picked larger schools for the most part, but if she really wants to double major and/or add a minor - she might want to look at some LACs. Many of them tout the ability to double major and adding a minor as a big selling point.

If LACs are too small, feel free to ignore this suggestion - more of an out of the box idea.

7 Likes

I also know a Syracuse student getting a business degree in the Whitman School of Business and a visual communications degree in Newhouse. I don’t think your daughter’s idea or some version of it is unheard of.

She may decide to slide into a different but similar major or drop her minor or something — these things evolve. But that doesn’t mean she should just rule it out before she even begins.

4 Likes

A large school with the majors housed in different colleges could make things difficult unless she has a lot of AP/DE credits.
Not all universities will house the majors in different colleges and some may encourage minors outside their major college (while others will only allow it while frowning). That’s why you need to check and/or ask, cf. Post upthread.

I think she’s in PA and is completing the Schreyer app:
Here’s the Art minor reqs - basically just 6 classes

Scroll down to see all the minors

And Smeal Entrance to major reqs

Or check this out

Some colleges thrive on interdisciplinary students though - Allegheny college for instance. Brown, Amherst, Vassar or Hamilton with no distribution reqs are very conducive to double majoring.

4 Likes

I don’t think a degree in business with a minor in art is unreasonable. Adding another minor might be pushing it.

My son is at FSU. He basically was a 2nd year as a freshman because of AP credits. He has the OOS waiver so a double major or dual degree seemed like a good idea.

Wrong. Capped majors, no doubles within certain schools plus meeting requirements for different schools made it impossible in 4 years. We researched multiple paths. He’ll graduate with several minors instead. Disappointed at first but is fine now. In the long run I don’t think it will have much of an impact.

If Syracuse is affordable that might be a good option. Son at FSU did a summer film program there. Other son liked the business school. I still think Pitt might be more accommodating than your first impression. CMU and the Carnegie are next door. Or just apply to CMU.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s impossible, but could be difficult. I second the suggestion to look at LACs if she is at all open to a smaller school because it will be easier to take classes in several different areas.

Someone above also mentioned that data science is sometimes grouped in with business, which would be something to look into. In fact, looking at requirements for the major and minors might give her a better idea of how realistic it is.

For what it’s worth, S23 just graduated with a major in Education, minor in English/Creative Writing, and minor in Philosophy. He is currently in his 5th year where he is finishing his master’s for teaching, and he has passed his alt cert so he is already licensed to teach in that state. Those minors are a little closer related to his major, but still had different requirements. He didn’t go in with this plan (originally enrolled planning on majoring in dietetics/exercise science), it just happened along the way. It certainly IS possible.

5 Likes

Agreed – the challenge with double majors from diverse fields at large universities is that each major may be housed in a different College within that university, with the two Colleges having their own requirements for completing a degree from that College. So, someone completing a business major in the College of Business has to fulfill the graduation requirements, including general education requirements, to receive a degree from that College. If they want a double major from a different College, say Arts and Letters or Science, then they not only have to complete the requirements for that second major but also to graduate with a degree from that separate College. A minor rather than major can simplify that process – but some schools don’t offer minors. Double majoring within a single College is usually do-able, say Poli Sci and Econ, or International Relations and Poli Sci, because there is only one set of general education requirements to complete, plus the specific requirements for the two majors.

3 Likes