Match Me: HS Junior; Finance/Quantitative Finance Major, 1540 SAT

Can you share what you like about CMU, as it’s your ED choice (I assume applying to Tepper)? That will help us better understand what you are looking for (your list is all over the place), but posters have made many good suggestions so far.

Is finance the major you are leaning towards? What major will you be at the schools on your list that don’t offer a finance major?

Does your HS transcript show a weighted GPA? If so, what is that? If it’s 3.8+ you will qualify for direct admit at IU Kelley, so that would be a safety.

Pay attention to schools like UVA that are not direct admit for business, and have a Plan B. McIntyre’s admission is competitive and holistic, so admission is not entirely in one’s control.

With that said, you can go into IB without a business degree (and some firms actually prefer that, and do not favor business degrees at all). There are many stem majors (e.g., math, neuroscience, etc.) going into IB jobs.

I second many of the schools on Austennut’s list for more attainable admissions. The ones that in particular have relatively good finance/IB placement (for the top students) are SMU, Baruch, Bentley, and TCU. I also second Miami Ohio Farmer school of business.

OP, did you mean the University of Oxford in England, or Oxford College at Emory University?

The former is highly unlikely, but the latter could be a match-range school for you. Maybe a high match. And, you would finish up at Emory U, at the respected Goizueta.

2 Likes

My son is now a quant trader in London after having read Maths & CS at Oxford. The well known firms (Citadel, Jane Street, Two Sigma, SIG, DRW, Five Rings) focus their recruiting on the Math/CS students. Here’s a link to last year’s career fair booklet.

https://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/files/jobs-maths-fair-booklet-2022pdf

A maths offer will be very difficult for you to achieve with the 4 in Calc BC. You would likely need fives in Physics C and CS A to meet the “relevant subjects” criteria for your APs and a very competitive MAT score in the fall to get shortlisted for interview. The fact that your Physics C scores will be predicted (since you are taking it senior year) won’t be helpful either.

There is a new undergraduate program at Imperial that is a combo of Economics, Finance and Data Science that might be worth a look.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.