**finance, business

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.7
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): no given
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:no rank
  • ACT/SAT Scores:1450

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))
ap calc bc for 5, ap microeconomy for 5, ap macroeconomy for 5, ap physics for 5, ap osychology for 4
Awards
sic investment competition for golden group and best stragety, national economy competition personal distinctive
Extracurriculars*
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
organize a charity sale, one experience of starting a business
Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)
no
Cost Constraints / Budget100k per year
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability) no area like Chicago or somewhere have severe racial issue
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
    i’d like to cornell, ucb, ucla, uPenn or uMitch ross school of business
  • Matchd: some UK college is ok the g5 and manchester
  • Reach

In this context, we use the word “safety” to mean a university where you have a very high probability of being accepted and can afford.

“Likely” means schools that you can both afford and where you have a reasonably good chance of being accepted.

With a budget of $100,000, affordability will not be an issue for you.

All of the schools you have listed as ones you would like to attend are considered to be “reach” schools because the acceptance rates are quite low. Given your SAT score and what you have described so far, these will be very high reaches for you, meaning that it’s unlikely that you will be admitted. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t apply — their acceptance rates make it unlikely for almost any student to gain admission — but it means you need to focus on finding universities where you will have a much better chance of acceptance.

As an international student who is full pay and has reasonably good grades and test scores, there are many, many schools where you are likely to be admitted. Can you tell us a little more about what you would like in a college? What size school? What part of the United States? Would you prefer a large city, a rural campus, or something in between? Do you want to be somewhere with a large number of international students? Anything else?

If you can provide a little more information, there are many universities we could suggest. Also, if you have any other interests, that could also help narrow the field. @AustenNut is very good at suggesting schools and because your budget is so high he can have a lot of freedom so specify anything else you might like in a curriculum, location, etc.

3 Likes

“Safety” should mean certain admission and affordability, while “likely” should mean very high likelihood of admission and affordability.

1 Like

These are all reach schools for you.

Are you saying your parents can pay $100,000 a year for college?

1 Like

Your profile is good and your parents can afford any college, meaning you’ll have lots of possibilities.

Cornell, UCB, UCLA, UPenn, Michigan Ross are all “reaches for all”, meaning they’re highly unlikely for everyone including students with 4.0/1600.
You can sprinkle them on top of your application list but they should not be the core of the list.

Safety:
UVermont, U Delaware, UNC W, Christopher Newport, Baruch (NYC), SUNY Albany - all with Honors College highly likely; for privates, Bentley, UScranton, Marist, Ithaca, Butler, UPortland
Match: American University, Lehigh, Syracuse, Denison, Dickinson, Providence, Indiana-Kelly, Penn State Smeal, UMD Smith, Pitt, Virginia Tech, SUNY Bing, UC Davis (not exact major), Cal Poly SLO.
All of these have different vibes, environments, cultures, so look into them using “Princeton review’s best colleges” (or Fiske Guide).

4 Likes

What was your math score on the SAT (total score of 1450 needs to be broken down to math score and verbal score).

Do you have a career goal ?

Surprised that you did not list NYU Stern for finance, but it is a reach although full pay status should help.

Unfortunately, there are many areas that have incidents with racial components. It just so happens that some make the news more than others. Also, in some places the communities are more open about the racial difficulties they face, while other communities don’t talk about it, but that doesn’t mean the issues don’t exist (and then come sometimes blow up with a particular incident). If you could let us know what, in particular, your concerns are, the board maybe able to offer some suggestions.

Others have already touched upon the fact that the U.S. schools you mentioned have a low probability of granting you (or anyone else) admittance. These are some other schools that you may want to consider:

• Babson (MA)
  • Baruch (NY)
  • Bentley (MA)
  • Fairfield (CT)
  • Fordham (NY)
  • Indiana University - Kelley
  • Lehigh (PA )
  • Santa Clara (CA)
  • Southern Methodist (TX)
  • U. of Richmond (VA)
  • U. of Wisconsin - Madison
  • Villanova (PA )
  • Wake Forest (NC)
6 Likes

Curious about the laundry list of safety and match schools.

Among safety schools, I would eliminate all but Bentley.

Indiana University Kelley School of Business is the recommended safety school for this individual. Fordham University is another to consider for finance.

Among the match schools: I would only keep Lehigh University and discard the remaining schools.

OP: Really need the breakdown of your 1450 SAT score into the math and verbal section scores.

@CC_Sorin

If a new user comes from Instagram or FB, is one’s name automatically made the username?

1 Like

Kelley is not a safety for this student, as they don’t meet the GPA component direct admit hurdle of 3.8GPA (W or UW, whichever is shown on the transcript, or if both, the highest on the transcript). So, OP will have to petition for IU Kelley direct admission, which is far from certain as many petitioners did not get direct admit this year. IU non-Kelley admission would be a highly likely, but then OP would have to go through standard admission process if Kelley direct admit petition is not granted. Bloomington IN is also not all that easy to get to from China.

Separately I expect myos was giving OP a number of college choices to research so they can decide what appeals most based on majors, size, location, ease of travel from China, etc
that’s how beginning list building works.

4 Likes

OP only shared an unweighted GPA of 3.7, therefore likely that weighted will be much higher and will satisfy Kelley’s direct admit requirement.

I understand what the other poster was trying to do, but think that the list was too broad and that OP could do better.

OP: Your recommended safety schools are Indiana Kelley and Fordham Gabelli.

The list shared by poster AustenNut is good.

Your chances for Upenn-Wharton, UC-Berkeley, Cornell, NYU-Stern, Michigan-Ross are very low.

I took OP to mean when they said ‘not given’ about their wGPA that their HS doesn’t calculate a wGPA and/or give different weighting to different level classes
which is not uncommon. Hopefully they will clarify.

2 Likes

We need OP’s math score from the SAT.

OP: Babson College in Massachusetts and Bentley University in Massachusetts are very friendly to international students. Both are high quality, no nonesense business schools which are well respected in the US. (Both are near Boston, Massachusetts.)

If the high school doesn’t provide a weighted GPA, there is no higher GPA for Kelley to consider. Fordham is also not a safety, but a match.

To the OP, I would recommend putting the University of Pittsburgh on your list. It’s a match school with your GPA and SAT and an overall acceptance rate just under 50%. It has rolling admissions, though, and if you apply early like in August or early September, your chances are very high. It has a good business program, and is in a small city with a strong community of international students.

4 Likes

I understand and agree that labeling IU-Kelley as a match rather than as a safety is reasonable, but I suspect that OP may have a very high math score on the SAT which would be helpful.

Fordham is a more of a safety, but the term I prefer for both is target.

I prefer different terms/definitions/classifications for school chances, too — and I guess by CC terms what I suggested may be likelies not matches — but it’s easiest for everyone to try to use the same terminology on CC or a chance me devolves into a debates on terms.

I used colleges Chinese students may not immediately jump to (Top 25, UIUC
) and which represent a broad variety of criteria.
One criterion could be “known in China”, which for safeties would favor large public universities with a state in their name.
Safety= OP is almost certain to get into the university and their major of choice. OP needs 2 since they don’t need merit aid, in order to have a choice if all falls apart. (I don’t think this will happen but better safe than sorry).
Business (and finance in particular) is one of the most selective majors so that the whole university’s acceptance rate or profile is not very useful.
OP’s odds at Penn State Smeal at probably in the 40% range, for instance, which is much higher than average but wouldn’t make it a safety.
Indiana Kelly is another example of the university as a whole being a safety whereas a business/finance major is a match (50-50 odds).
Being full pay will be an advantage at need aware colleges but won’t matter at need-blind colleges. Need aware universities are usually private so can be used for safeties and matches, since being full pay increases the odds of admission, unlike at large public universities. This allows for various sets of admission criteria to be put into play to maximize results.
Once OP has read each college’s descriptions (or visited some) and made more criteria explicit, we can suggest more colleges “like” the colleges OP likes.
For instance, if OP likes Bentley (need-aware, smaller, business-focused private college, well-respected in the Northeast) for a safety, Babson can be added for a match. If OP likes UScranton and Providence, we can suggest more open-minded Catholic universities with beautifully manicured campuses and strong business ties in the Northeast. etc.

1 Like

I have been doing this for several decades & have developed my own methods & terminology which are designed in large part to be efficient.

I appreciate the suggestions & guidance.

This is an important question for any international student. Is the goal to attend a US college/university or ONLY one that is familiar in their home country?

And, of course, it is always important to have safety/likely (near assured admission) schools in the home country in case the plans to study in the US don’t work out.

6 Likes

UIUC takes a lot of full pay international students. Good business school. Not a safety, but probably a match. Although not in a big city, but Chicago is two hours away so not that hard to get to from China. Several buses a day to/from O’Hare airport.

1 Like