Match Me: NY Resident, White Female w/ Hispanic Background, 75k ish [NY resident, 95% GPA; pre-med, biology]

Well, I just cant imagine living sucessfully without some level of stress.

While I think you should stop reading the other Chance Me threads for your own well-being, if you do read any only read the ones for kids with premed intentions. The advice you are getting is consistent with those threads regardless of the student’s stats. Which is to closely consider the budget and find a school where you will be happy and can achieve the high GPA needed for med school apps.

I have a premed kid. When she was applying we looked at the 8-year cost for undergrad plus med school and how far our budget would go covering that. Our agreement with her was that any funds saved on undergrad would be available to pay for med school. For us, that meant applying to our in-state options (free tuition with her stats) and a variety of schools with merit options. She did apply to one favorite that did not offer merit (so would have been $80k) in case she changed her mind about med school.

She was high stats but saw the value of finishing med school with no debt and applied accordingly. Of course, every family’s financial resources are different, but based on your comments in this thread I’m not sure you are considering the big picture. I encourage you to discuss the cost of med school with your family as you get further along.

In the meantime, keep up your grades and enjoy your activities. Prep for the SAT/ACT. Maybe research a variety of colleges and visit a few campuses rather than relying on hearsay. You are young and getting a bit ahead of yourself. :smiley:

4 Likes

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to manage stress. That is my concern.

4 Likes

The key is to volunteer in the community. If you are interested in premed, then you should look for volunteer in hospitals, doctor offices to see if medicine is something you want to do in the future. You can try " FDNY Exploring Program" to see if you can volunteer there ?

1 Like

Does your community have a program for HS students to volunteer with their local ambulance Corp?

1 Like

This. Or my friend’s daughter, who is now a practicing PA, spent her HS years volunteering with EMT’s. They live on Long Island, so this was in NY State.

There are several unpopular reality checks that you will have to face during this process:

-Despite being an impressive student thus far, you are not the best - not even close compared to those we know in real life and those we see come through CC. Keep your entitlement in check in this regard and research ways that you can bolster your candidacy for college admissions - assuming you wish to continue your quest for prestige.

-If you’re able to gain admission to a T20, keep in mind that many of your classmates will be more academically impressive than you, so you will have to compete from day one and it will be unlikely that you will become a Big Fish. It will be much harder, in this environment, to maintain the high GPA that will make you competitive for med school.

-Many (most?) students who insist that they want to become a doctor on day one of freshman year, change their major. If the science weed out classes don’t kill them, the long study hours and low test grades will. It’s much more important to find a college that meets a variety of your needs, in addition to the academics. If you’re not happy at the T20 because it was never a great overall fit, then it will affect your academic success.

I agree with others, stay off the Chance Me threads on here and stop comparing yourself to others in your real life. That will eliminate 80% of your stress.

4 Likes

My opinion. You need to find a different therapist who can help you. That should be first and foremost. College will always be there, but you seem to have a lot of unresolved issues.

And my other opinion…the SUNY schools recommended here are much stronger than High Point. High Point might be THE college for you. But it’s not as Strong as the Suny schools.

3 Likes

Congratulations to her, and thank you!

I generally feel pretty relaxed, ive gotten a lot of my life back together from a worst place. Im also on medications

Alright, ill look, thank you!

Im in a very small town but ill check

I’d go further - they sort of market themselves as a hand holding college. I don’t want to label a student body but driven and accountable wouldn’t be two words I would think of at that school.

1 Like

I agree based on the people i met there. Seemed a little too easy

If your parents want something like High Point, but you want a stronger academic reputation, maybe look at Elon. (But SUNY still makes more sense, both financially and reputation wise.)

6 Likes

Quinnipiac, Stonehill, Seton Hall, Farleigh Dickinson- if your parents find these schools acceptable, they will provide more of the environment you are looking for vs. High Point. None have the resources of one of the research-oriented SUNY’s, but a little less handholding/country club and might reassure them they you aren’t only going to college to party.

1 Like

I just looked up Elon- 78% acceptance rate? Is it really that good? Sigh

I want to go to a good college where I have all the resources i need, plus my own diligence, to get into med school. And the school doesn’t have a bad rep. Its just a little hurtful being recommended schools with a 70+ acceptance rate.

Lots of great schools have all that. Acceptance rate doesn’t define a school.

You mentioned Bama. Great school, focused pre med with MCCullough Medical Scholars and a high acceptance rate.

Don’t conflate the two.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand the logic behind it. A higher acceptance rate usually means they accept more low-stat students, and why would a good school with good programs fill up with so many low stat students?

Meanwhile, a lower acceptance rate means they want good students and have the support for these students.

Besides, none of the other bio or pre med chance me threads ever have schools with such low sat scores and such high acceptance rates💔

Nobody is telling you not to take your shot at an uber selective college (or several). But luck is not a strategy. You need a range of colleges- sure bets, kinda/sorta matches, realistic matches, and then sure- some high flyer reaches. You don’t need help on the reaches. You need help on the sure bets.

So why not adjust your thinking here? We don’t know you- so we can’t possibly hurt your feelings. Take feelings out of the equation. We’re here to educate you about colleges you may not have heard of, which will read your application and think “Wow, got to have her here!” If you don’t want that education, time to step away from CC for a while.

Wanna know a fabulous school for pre-med? Missouri S&T. It’s in Rolla, Missouri (which for sure is not urban in the way NY or Boston is urban), it’s not terribly hard to get admitted to, it’s a public U so it has to have broad appeal to the citizens and taxpayers of Missouri.

It has a VERY rigorous and tough science curriculum with fabulous professors who are highly regarded in their fields. It punches above its weight in employment because companies know how well trained and well educated its students are. It has strong grad school results because in addition to the education, grad committees know how involved the professors are in the undergrad educational experience.

I’ll bet you’ve never heard of it. No, I’m not insulting you by suggesting it. But it’s yet another way to thread the needle on your ultimate goals. You would not be at the top of the class- far from it. Some of the top science and math brains in the Midwest end up there. Easy to get into. Tough to make it out because your classmates are incredibly smart AND hard-working AND incredibly ambitious.

There are a bunch of schools like this. If you don’t want to learn about them, you can stop logging on to CC! One of the easiest problems in the world to solve…

5 Likes