Match Me: NY Resident, White Female w/ Hispanic Background, 75k ish [NY resident, 95% GPA; pre-med, biology]

I know I have to take advantage and put in a lot of work. Im just worried the school wont offer what I need.

And about my sense of apparent entitlement. I dont think im top top top student, like top 0.5%. But I think im great and after 1) putting in a LOT of work and 2) being told that by teachers (including the college professors I worked with), family, counselors etc, I don’t think there’s a problem with that. I have strengths and weaknesses, and one of my strengths is general academic performance. I talked with a counselor recently and I have one of the highest psat grades in the school. And i know, theres a lot of people with my stats, im a fish in a sea of many good students. But do they have the drive i do? One thing is having the same stats and another is willing to improve those stats. As for ecs, im very mad at myself for not doing stuff sooner, but I can only move on and continue working my butt off. Lol

Most of the people I know did not go to “prestige “ colleges and have been very successful

2 Likes

I definitely want to do something bio related. So I have a backup if I drop out of pre med. And for counseling, do you mean college counseling or therapy counseling?

This is a country filled with brilliant and accomplished students. It is hard to understand or visualize until you leave HS and see what is going on.

2 Likes

Okay.

I mean therapy counseling. You appear to have a very unhealthy reaction when others get better grades, scores, etc.

4 Likes

In the past, the ACT was considered to be less “tricky” in its questions/more straightforward than the SAT, but it was also faster paced. However, I know that the SAT is being revamped currently, so you should probably try some timed, practice tests of both the current ACT and new SAT to see which you prefer. The ACT also has a “science” section which isn’t really science – it’s mostly data analysis based on science subjects. They seem daunting at first, but after you do a few practice tests you will get very used to them.

It’s important to practice with official released tests, not 3rd-party tests as the third party tests are often either too easy or too difficult. If you google official ACT practice tests/official SAT practice tests you should get what you need.

It’s also important to take all your practice tests in a timed situation. It’s okay to do most of them as just timed sections, rather than an entire timed tests at one sitting. See how you do within the allotted time, mark where you finished, and then continue on until you finish the section. If you don’t finish on time but get the answers correct, then you know the material but you need to work on getting faster. If you finish on time but don’t get answers correct, then you need to work on content. And it is important to really work on the questions you get wrong to learn why you made a mistake and to learn that content. Taking multiple official practice tests will help, because there are only a handful of concepts that they test on, so you will become familiar with the different ways they ask the questions.

Good luck!

2 Likes

If you are a biology major and decide against medical school, you can definitely get a job but will likely have to go to graduate school.

1 Like

I was very supportive of the three people (out of like a hundred) I talked to who got the same or better score than me. Ill admit tho, it was partially because I had the idea in the back of my head that ill do better on the real thing because ill study almost every day etc. I have a fear of falling behind.

Got it, I still don’t really know how this degree stuff works but ill get there. I guess thats a topic for another day

Editing to add that eventually you should take one or two entire, timed practice tests (official released versions only) to get a sense of timing and pacing for the whole test.

1 Like

Thank you! This was very helpful. I am very fast paced and im generally good at that stuff so I’ll definitely check it out!

1 Like

Thank you! Ill do to the best of my ability. Repeat what I said before, plus its just how I was raised. I almost wish my parents were like you

This is relieving to hear. I scrolled through the chance mes and so many kids have like 10+ aps. Our school doesn’t offer that and i was so scared how it would affect me. I take everything available but its only so much- ill have about 5-6 at the end of my senior year

You will only be assessed in the context of what your high school offers that you were eligible to take advantage of. If your high school does not offer more than 6 APs, then you will NOT be disadvantaged when compared to students whose high schools offer more APS. However, it is important to take the most rigorous schedule that your high school offers that you are able to without jeopardizing your physical or mental health.

So please don’t compare yourself to students who have more APs because their high school offers more. That won’t hurt you.

3 Likes

I used to have depression back in freshman-sophmore year. Was absolutely detrimental and I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Ive been “un-diagnosed” recently but it still lingers around. An overwhelming sense of dread that quickly turns into panic that ill end up poor and looked down upon by everyone if I dont push myself beyond limits and spend so many hours studying. I dont eat lunch anymore because I use that time to study.

I have anxiety too, im on meds tho which makes it much more manageable. Another thing I definitely wouldn’t wish on anyone. Id go as far as to say my life isn’t fun anymore. The happiest part of my summer was my college experience- I know its easier than the real thing and is a “tutorial” but the dorm and campus experience with so many people like me was a breath of fresh air.

Someone also jokingly mentioned that I should be tested for bpd but thats still on the side for now

Please don’t skip lunch. You need proper nutrition to be your best self, both academically and personally.

5 Likes

Good, thank you. Thats nice to hear, it actually made me regret choosing my high school

You were raised to compete with others (not judging your parents)?

That is not healthy, especially as you describe it in your posts. It is worrisome.

3 Likes

You will do fine with what you have. You will only be assessed in the context of what is available to you. Please don’t regret things that you can’t change – instead, work on enjoying the opportunities you currently have.

3 Likes