Match me: PhD in Finance or Economics [with Bachelor of Accounting 2.69 GPA, MBA 3.5 GPA]

I hope to consider the following factors:
1.The per capita GDP of the country is over $40000, or similar;
2.QS ranks in the top 300, the higher the better;
3.Having a scholarship is the best option;
4.The IELTS score is around 6.5, and there is no need for a GRE or GMAT score.

Intended Major(s)
Finance, Economics, Management

Please refer to the attachment for detailed information.
Thank you!

SUMMARY OF RESEARCH
·Research on high-quality development of agriculture and rural areas XXXX
➢ As a consultant, I participated in the study of agricultural industrial structure and market competition in XXX County.
·2019 Macroeconomic Blue Book (the first half of the year)
➢ Participated in the research on the part of total factor productivity growth helping China’s economic development.
·Human resources planning for the “14th Five-Year Plan” of XXXXX Rail Transit Vehicle Equipment
Co., Ltd
➢ From the aspect of supply and demand, study the talent structure and quantity of the company.
PAPER (in publication)
·Changes, opportunities and challenges in the development of the digital economy in the new situation
·Research on the impact of the development of the digital economy on the innovation efficiency of high-
tech industries
EDUCATION BACKGROUND
➢ Master of Business Administration (GPA: 3.5/4.0)
➢ Courses: Market Economy and Corporate Social Responsibility, Management Information System,Marketing Management, Data, Modeling and Decision, Accounting, Strategic Management, Thesis Writing and Research Methods, Project Investment Decision Analysis, Financial Markets Operation,
Financial Statements Analysis, Cloud Computing and Big Data, etc.
➢ Bachelor of Accounting (GPA:2.69/4.0)
➢ Courses: Economics, Economic Application Statistics, Economic Practical Writing, Advanced Mathematics, Monetary Banking, Intermediate Financial Accounting, Asset Evaluation, Advanced Accounting, etc.
CAMPUS EXPERIENCE
·Founding investment club during postgraduate period (more than 600 members so far)

HONOR & AWARDS
·The first prize of the school’s intellectual education scholarship
·Excellent volunteers
·Beijing Olympic City Volunteers
·Outstanding student cadres

1 Like

PhD study in economics or finance will require a strong quantitative background. Have you completed upper level math and statistics courses such as real analysis, linear algebra, and probability theory?

1 Like

Yes, I have studied higher mathematics and statistics.

Where did you get your undergraduate and your MBA?

Where is your paper being published?

The most important thing for a PhD program is research experience. Aside from that publication, what academic research have you done in your field?

Who will write your letters of recommendation? How well known are they in academia, and can they speak to your abilities in research?

1 Like

IELTS score around 6.5 puts one in a Bridge English program at University of Maryland. A 7 on IELTS is needed for full enrollment.
Three letters of recmendation are needed.
Also, “In general, our admitted students have GPA’s well above a “B” average, particularly in economics and mathematics; very high GRE’s (particularly quantitative); math preparation that includes at a minimum three semesters of calculus, a semester of linear algebra, and a semester of differential equations; and three excellent letters of reference that speak to an applicant’s potential to successfully complete a Ph.D. in economics.”
https://www.econ.umd.edu/graduate/applications-and-admissions-faq#id_math

“The Graduate School at the University of Maryland requires a minimum grade point average of B for entering students…”

That <3.0 undergrad GPA is gonna be extremely hard to overcome, particularly at any PhD program that provides full funding.

Thank you very much for your questions. I will think carefully.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Definitely keep working hard, increase your IELTS. Could inquire with Iowa State, which accepts 6.5.

But how well you have done in math and econ, research, three recommendations from professors, will be important, whether at UMD or IA State

Thank you for your suggestion. I will work towards this direction.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.