Meadowmount or BUTI(Tanglewood) for a non-music major

My son is in 10th grade. For this summer, he has been accepted to a couple of science research programs, one writing workshop, and music camps for viola. Viola is one of his long time EC’s but he has not won MTNA or Young arts or NYO. He has some local levle awards.
As non-music major parents, we are trying to help him decide on which music camp he will do as he isn’t sure which one.
Both being virtual, Meadowmount is 7 weeks long, prestigous, and a good boot camp. BUTI is less selective for strings but it is only 3 weeks and fits my son’s schedule with other summer programs better. We actually think a 7 week virtual music boot camp would be stressful than educating.
If he gives up Meadowmount over Tanglewood, is he missing out something big? My honest opinion is that either camp could be good for resume-building and for a non music major, he should work harder on his science researches and SAT prep this summer. So I am leaning towards Tanglewood but my music major friends say the oppposite. Any thoughts?

I recommend reposting this question in the Music Major forum on the summer program thread. Lots of folks with experience with both programs.

1 Like