Meal Plan Sign Up

<p>I'm starting at Virginia Tech in the fall as a new undergraduate student. While filling out forms on HokieSPA I ran into a problem where it kept saying that there aren't any meal plans for Fall 2011. Is this a glitch or are plans not available yet? Which meal plan would you recommend for an incoming freshman?</p>

<p>Not sure when they are available, but get the cheaper one. You can always add money later if you need to.</p>

<p>I experienced the same thing. I’m assuming it’s an error, and I wouldn’t worry too much.</p>

<p>Daughter stated that the basic plan is assigned automatically by default then you can upgrade after June (or July?) 1. That is when there will be options available to pick from.</p>

<p>As chuy said, go with the smallest plan. Last time I checked, there were no savings associated with the larger meal plans.</p>

<p>There will be three meal plans available all together. For Freshman, it is usually a good idea to go with the middle option…not the smallest option because most students that live on campus tend to over-eat their first year at places like DX at 2 in the morning. Although, if you do go with the smallest option, you CAN always add money but there is a big chance you are going to run out.</p>

<p>My thought is just that I’d rather add money at the end of the semester than lose money – extra money on your meal plan doesn’t roll over from year to year (only semester to semester).</p>

<p>Yeah, adding money is just as good as having it there on the first place so get the smallest and add as necessary.</p>

<p>“For Freshman, it is usually a good idea to go with the middle option…not the smallest option because most students that live on campus tend to over-eat their first year at places like DX at 2 in the morning.”</p>

<p>That is EXACTLY why you should select the smallest option! My son is going this fall, and he said no way does he want to be temtped by having a large meal plan…so we are going with the smallest one.</p>