Medical School: Duke or Alabama?

<p>I plan to become a doctor & enroll in a medical school, my top two choices being University of Alabama (at Birmingham) and Duke. My highschool is an advanced high school, on the CCU (Coastal Carolina University) campus, and I finished my “pre-med” classes my senior year of highschool.
I currently live in South Carolina, but have spent a large portion of my life in Alabama. My mother’s family still lives in Alabama, so residency isn’t a concern.
But between the two, would I get more out of my education at Duke or UAB? </p>

<p><<<
between the two, would I get more out of my education at Duke or UAB?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>What are you asking? are you asking if you would learn more at Duke’s med school or UAB’s med school?</p>

<p>You get out of college what you want to get out of it. That said going to Duke will likely present you with more opportunities simply because of the name and its outstanding programs. That does come with a hefty price though. Given the many, many years you’ll be in school a more affordable in-state option may be very appealing.</p>

<p>@marlierae‌ </p>

<p>If you are saying that UAB med school and Duke med school are your top choices for med school, you are putting the cart before the horse. You need to concentrate now on undergrad and hope that you will get into any ONE MD school. Getting into any particular MD school should not be the focus now or even when applying to med schools. When it comes time to apply, a premed applies to many med schools in hope to get accepted to even one. </p>

<p>Getting into ONE MD school is an achievement, don’t focus on any particular one. All US MD schools are excellent and they all teach the same thing. The education is flat since they all have to prepare for the same national exams. </p>

<p>My DD is a senior at Bama currently in the process of applying to DPT programs. This summer she has interned at the Shepard Spinal Center, where she shadowed a PT who graduated from Duke. Duke was high on my DD’s potential list of schools because it does offer some unique clinical experiences that capitalize on her double major in Spanish and Kinesiology. However, the therapist strongly cautioned her against the program because of it’s exorbitant tuition. This young woman, and her husband, left Duke with several hundred thousand dollars worth of student loan debt. She explained that they can’t buy a home, travel, or even put money into retirement because of their debt, nor will they be able to for many more years. No clinical experience is worth that in my opinion. I’m not saying this because I’m a UNC graduate (and I don’t love anything about Duke), because she took them off her list as well because of the out-of-state tuition. Focus on your undergraduate career first, and then follow M2CK’s advice. </p>

<p>Alabama.</p>

<p>Let us know your choices once you have gotten into any college, starting with undergrad before people can help you with your decision making. Where do you go is not a question to ask until you are ADMITTED.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Absolutely!</p>

<p>but I am not sure if the OP is asking about which med school or which undergrad to attend. Of course, she may not get admitted to Duke as an undergrad either. </p>

<p>Kids often put the cart before the horse…especially as premeds. They have to get thru undergrad, get accepted to med schools (if lucky) and then choose (but only if they have more than one choice…and many do not)</p>