Mental Health Accommodations at Hamilton

It is pretty common for high achieving students to think they should be taking extra courses when they get to college. They are so used to being in that gear in high school they do not realize the level of work some college level courses may be.

I agree finding a music, art class, or something that may bring joy can be helpful, but not in addition to the four or five typical course load.

2 Likes

Note that music lessons at Hamilton provide one-quarter credit and function much like an EC. Although the standard course load at Hamilton is 4 credits, increasing this modestly, such as to 4.25 credits, is common.

1 Like

I know a student at Hamilton who faced some mental health issues last fall. Student and parents communicated with professors and administration so that student was able to take a few weeks off and given extensions to finish work on a delayed basis while still completing the classes. I think a smaller school like Hamilton makes the communication process so much easier with less red tape.

6 Likes

OP, all the best!
I would suggest that make sure you have resources available in the vicinity of the college as well in the event you need them. While I am sure Hamilton provides good resources, it would be good to have backup options too.

2 Likes

Good for you for being proactive. Here are some questions.

You said you have “severe anxiety/depression.” Does the word “severe” apply only to the anxiety part or both the anxiety and depression part?

What are the accommodations you need to level the playing field between you and the students who do not have severe anxiety/depression? (Right, that’s what accommodations are for – to level the playing field.)

Do you need those accommodations on an ongoing basis, or just when the feelings of severe anxiety/depression bubble up?

Finally – you have to be very careful. It’s great that you are completely up front with people about your severe anxiety/depression. But colleges want to know that the students are stable. They do not want any liability. If you don’t think you need accommodations on an ongoing basis, I think it’s better to say you are being “treated for anxiety and depression” rather than saying you “have severe anxiety/depression.”

2 Likes

In high school I’ve always taken all APs and really overdone it… I don’t want to overdo it in college, especially as a freshman.

Yes, I love flute! I would really enjoy taking some credits in flute, but I’m afraid I need to dedicate my time to medical school prerequisites already…

Anxiety and depression are both equally as difficult for me. Definitely true about the liability train of thought— I am need to be cautious about that. I’m kind of an oversharer sometimes lol. I’m also quite stable right now bc of treatment, but it’s just in case something were to happen.

I currently have academic accoms only, but I want to discuss potentially having a little flexibility with due dates when I am struggling mentally. At least academic accoms make my life a little less stressful knowing I have the extra time and quiet space I need for testing.

Thanks! I will still be working with my therapist/psychiatrist via Zoom (they’re in state so no legal issues). I would like to have some local connection though, just in case.

1 Like

Good to know! That’s why I like it there— smaller and more opportunities for support (academically) and getting to know the profs.

That sounds like it may be something I’d look into…

I’m definitely used to the workload of APs but I’m playing it kinda safe with coursework for college, at least for the first year. Have to get used to the environment and difficulty first.

You are so far ahead of most knowing this about yourself!

Since you are already planning to manage this, make it a point to manage yourself and your work with the goal of not needing accommodations. Figure out how and where you study best. Keep up on work. Look ahead at big projects/papers and break the work up into manageable parcels. Go to office hours with concerns, to go over drafts, etc, know when exams are and plan your preparation so the back to back exams doesn’t mean an all-nighter to prep for the second one.

AND schedule in the things that give you joy and allow you to keep yourself healthy, physically and mentally. Don’t leave activities that are important to your well-being to chance!

Planning your time (even if that involves leaving time unscheduled for fun things that come up) can help you see how much time you have for things – so you can say yes with confidence and know when to say no. It gives you a lot more control!

2 Likes

Extra time on papers and projects isn’t always an easy road, because work accumulates while new assignments come in. So I agree with @gardenstatelegal on trying to get along without accommodations as much as possible. As an example, a kid with migraines might get work done in advance, as a habit, in case a migraine occurs last minute before a due date.

You can also do tuition refund insurance but make sure mental health is covered. If things get tough, accommodations are not always enough to salvage the situation and you can take a leave. Not saying this is going to happen- it seems you are doing well- but since you have that “just in case” mentality.

5 Likes

Yes, I definitely need some down time to do fun things! I won’t make the same mistake taking too many classes like high school. These ones will be harder and I’ll need more study time!

2 Likes

For learning accoms, I will always (if approved) get extra time on tests and a quiet space since I can’t help that specifically. As to mental health accoms like extra time on assignments, I agree!