Mercersburg - The School, the Inn, Neither to be Overlooked, Not to be Missed

Where is the attrition rate found for schools?

1 Like

It’s generally not published. It’s a question to ask. It should be similar amongst all schools.

I hope you’re doing well. I am a cancer survivor, as well. Hugs to you!

1 Like

I tried to ask a few schools for this information. I didn’t receive a clear answer from anyone. It was all a little waffle-y.
Schools know attrition but weren’t willing to share actual numbers.

Attrition numbers are hard to interpret without a lot of the backgrounds schools can’t share.

I have known schools to ask a whole group of students to leave because they were bullying other srudents/involved with drugs. As a parent, I am glad to know those issues are being addressed to keep the community healthy. As a prospective parent, hearing that 8 kids left in the last term is alarming!

You can probably get a sense of this from the parent volunteers at revisit days. If there is a sense that persistence is an issue as a result of someone the school should be doing for students, someone’s will probably tell you.

1 Like

I know from DSs school, 3 kids left his III form year. From the entire student body not just his grade. One was dismissed for bullying and the other for drugs. The last just didn’t return. The numbers were similar his IV form year. He was caught in CoVID V and VI form which caused a higher rate of departures just because of the pandemic. IMO for all schools, these years are dismissible just because of the situation.
DD’s school was of a similar size. Her III form year, I know personally 6 kids that left just from her grade. All but 2 were voluntary departures.
You might not get as accurate answers from the schools due to COVID departures. But you should still ask and they should still give you a solid answer. They know the numbers.

2 Likes

You’re proving my point, @buuzn03 ! A kid who voluntarily withdraws to avoid expulsion and a kid who leaves unhappy are the same stat as far as who the school can report – that’sthe quid pro quo for preemptive withdrawal. But you, as a parent, have additional information you can share.

1 Like

I’m a parent of a senior at another boarding school who will be attending a USNWR top 30 University (and we are thrilled), so my comments is purely that of an outsider. Right or wrong I thought MB was not of up to the caliber of school we were looking for; however, dd pointed out to me this year’s college matriculations on IG and I was blown away. Extremely impressive. I encourage families to consider. You can find them on IG.

2 Likes

what is IG, thanks!

Instagram

1 Like

haha, thanks

Reading the tragic thread about the recent suicides at other schools, I wanted to chime in on this thread about Mercersburg and its robust mental health support. In my view, MB is ahead of the curve, seeking to support students where/when/how they need it most. The how is key.

As our MB friends know, my son has an autoimmune condition that requires constant monitoring and can be very difficult to manage at times with sports, growing and dining hall food. I think that the MB support system @Calliemomofgirls described is what gives my son the confidence to manage without any accommodations for his condition (short of permission to use medical devices in tech off limits areas). While he knows he could take a test late if he has a bad night or miss a class, he never has. There have been times where I’ve called his advisor in a panic because he’s been up all night managing his condition. Time and time again she’ll find him on campus, check in, size him up, give him a hug and report back that he’s tackling his day. He is surrounded by teachers, coaches and his friends and classmates who all have his back. These supports, which some on the surface may see as hand-holding, are the complete opposite of a crutch- they embolden the students to push harder, take risks and grow. MB’s scaffolding is like a parachute… tucked away but always dangling right beside you in case you need it. And if you pull that string you’re gonna land softly. Maybe not every single student in every single case I understand that. But I firmly believe that the school wants to do right by every community member and that notion alone matters.

I don’t know the stats about attrition but I do know of students who have left due to serious school rule violations (not talking messy rooms or dress code stuff obv) and they reapply and are welcomed back the following year. For those not familiar with MB, the community has clear, defined expectations and sometimes a really great kid can make a poor choice related to drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. Those are gut-wrenching situations that break everyone’s hearts across the community. But, as a parent, if I have my choice between the environment that @Calliemomofgirls described at her daughter’s first school and the well defined boundaries of our community, I’d choose ours every time because I think there’s safety and security in said boundaries for these kids who are 14+.

And yes, the class of 2023 is hitting it out of the park in regard to college matriculation. All around great group of students and well deserved success!

3 Likes

Unfortunately this is not the experience of every child at this school. And while I do think the school takes mental health seriously, there were at least two attempts at the school while my child was there. So, there is a mental health crisis going on with teens today and MB is not immune. And, as an aside, very little to no support was given to those that happened to find these children or were directly affected by the attempts.

Again, decisions have been made by families for this year…but nonetheless, take opinions from other with a grain of salt. Do your own research on a school and make the decision that feels best for your child and your family.

4 Likes