Microtel(Veteran's Pkwy)?

<p>We’re planning a visit to UA and wondering if anyone has any first hand information on the Microtel. The double rooms look very small for a family - although it’s close to campus. Also what is the area like by the hotel. We have stayed at the Wingate before and it was nice and the rooms were large but it was a bit further from campus. Thanks so much for your help!</p>

<p>The Microtel is fine. so is the nearby Holiday Inn Express. Hampton Inn is a bit closer to campus.</p>

<p>the area the Microtel is located is FINE. It’s by Midtown Village…very nice. There’s a Super Target near there as well…also the University Mall.</p>

<p>Lots of restaurants are near…especially by Midtown Village.</p>

<p>We stayed at the Microtel when we visited for the Georgia Southern game and woke to roaches crawling across the ceiling. Not what I expected, and I know that roaches are the norm for certain parts of the country, but I will not be staying there again.</p>

<p>Sniner… was it the Microtel on Veteran’s Pkwy, or the one on Interstate drive? I’ve never been, but the ratings I’ve seen for the one on Veteran’s Pkwy seem pretty good.</p>

<p>It was the one right by Super Target and the Mall. It was very nice in all other categories. This one however is a deal breaker for me.</p>

<p>I hope you told the mgmt. That isn’t the norm.</p>

<p>I’ve never seen a roach in Alabama and I’ve lived here for several years now. I’m sure that they exist, just haven’t experienced any.</p>

<p>We stayed at the Microtel and had no problems. They have a free breakfast which is handy. I do prefer the Hampton though. It’s closer to campus and seems a little quieter.</p>

<p>We, too, had a negative experience at the Microtel next to Target. No bugs, but we were in a non-smoking room that had very obviously been smoked in, the walls were paper thin, and the staff barely spoke when we checked in and out. NOT a typical experience in T-town. We won’t stay there again, but I do want to stay in that area - so convenient to Bama and shopping.</p>

<p>Just checked at the Microtel. Everything looks fine so far. Hopefully no roaches.</p>

<p>Thanks Tommy, checking in next Sat so the reassurance is helpful.</p>

<p>We are at the Microtel as well and it’s fine. We enjoyed the Capstone Scholars Day.</p>

<p>We will be there Thursday night through Saturday. I hope it goes well but we don’t need too much.</p>

<p>Roaches can be disconcerting (quote: “yech!”) but they can hitch a ride for a visit, enter through plumbing, etc… I’m sorry for those who actually saw them. That would be upsetting. And people breaking smoking rules: discourteous to say the least.</p>

<p>But Microtel does give good service and have adequate facilities and supports UA activities. </p>

<p>So, lets hope everyone else has a good stay like many of us have in the past and hope to in the future.</p>

<p>FYI: just called to book our Alabama Action move in weekend hotel (Aug10-12) and the Hampton Inn was already sold out. We got a room at the Holiday Inn. </p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone using CC</p>

<p>I really expected new hotels to break ground after the Sunday Blue Law changed, but I think the tornado rebuild must have delayed the issuing of permits. I think someone posted that existing businesses that needed permits were given first priority after April 27th (the Blue Law changed a few weeks prior) . </p>

<p>Hopefully, new permits for new hotels will mean more rooms!!</p>

<p>Anyone heard of any opening?</p>

<p>Does Northport have any hotels?</p>

<p>The only Northport hotels listed on tripadvisor.com draw those “yecchh!” ratings. Tuscaloosa is in desperate need of several more hotels! As far as the tornado-stricken areas, I know several property owners are complaining that the city will not let them rebuild by refusing to issue permits. Apparently that is why the CVS pharmacy at McFarland and 15th is still operating out of a trailer.</p>

<p>* I know several property owners are complaining that the city will not let them rebuild by refusing to issue permits. Apparently that is why the CVS pharmacy at McFarland and 15th is still operating out of a trailer. *</p>

<p>I had heard that some business owners were having trouble getting their permits because they didn’t want to build nicer looking buildings than what they had before - and the city wants a better “look” - wants better looking buildings, signage, and some greenery around the buildings/parking.</p>

<p>However, that issue wouldn’t really apply to CVS since their buildings are typically fine-looking - maybe they don’t want to do the greenspace req’t?</p>

<p>If the Northport hotels have poor ratings, I’m surprised that someone doesn’t snap those up and re-do them. Permits from N’port should be easier to get.</p>

<p>My DH and I ate breakfast at a small diner yesterday east of campus on University Blvd. It was in a shopping strip that took a direct hit from the April 27th tornado. The only other business in the strip that reopened was an H&R Block. I asked our waitress why other businesses had not rebuilt. She said that the land was zoned for a three story hotel and the land owner was still dealing with insurance issues. The building owner never took steps to minimize future damage (tarp the roof or board up store fronts), the insurance company is disputing the “total loss” demand from the land owner.
Only time will tell. </p>

<p>I too stayed one night in the Microtel near Target. I did not encounter any roaches but would prefer not to stay there again if another hotel was available. The staff was VERY accommodating. I checked in around midnight after moving my son out of his dorm one year. My car’s back seat was packed with possessions, making it a prime target for thieves. There was no where for me to park. I even drove to the Home Depot lot but risk something happening to my son’s car. In addition, parking spots are VERY narrow. I pulled back into the Microtel lot, double parked when I went in to explain my dilemma. The staff instructed me to park in to covered walkway at the front door. They assured me nothing would happen to my son’s car. My room was clean and the free breakfast was adequate. Other than parking issues, my only complaint was thin walls.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa’s new zoning regulations/building restrictions are the reason why the Taco Casa on 15th street couldn’t replace its sign, the one that allows it to be “Under the Biggest Cactus in Town.” These new restrictions mean than many businesses are not able to rebuild without significant design changes. </p>

<p>I stayed at the Microtel on Veterans’ Memorial Parkway shortly after it opened and enjoyed my stay. While the walls may have been on the thinner side and the rates weren’t as competitive for future stays, it is one of the better places to stay in Tuscaloosa. The other Microtel out on Interstate Drive is an older property, but was clean and sufficient for a 1 night stay before freshman move in.</p>