Money vs. Merit

<p>I have been accepted to a wide range of state public universities including Wisconsin-Madison, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, University of Georgia, and University of Alabama. Right now I want to major in economics and possibly pursue a career in investment banking or some financial job. I'm also still slightly interested in doing pre-med. I wanted to get some opinions on what people thought about what I should do. Michigan, which is obviously a top rated university would cost around $30,000 than Alabama. Both Wisconsin and Georgia are comparable in price and are close in stature, not far behind Michigan. They would be around $25,000 more than Alabama. I toured Alabama and Georgia this past weekend and I will be going up to Michigan and Wisconsin next month.</p>

<p>Are you in state Alabama or did you get one of their large OOS automatic tuition scholarships?</p>

<p>You don’t give any financial information so it’s not possible to say much. Since you mention cost, it must be a factor. The general advice I would give my son among those 4 is to not take on or minimize student and family debt for undergrad, especially if med school or a pay for MBA is in your future. I would also advise him not to stretch his family’s finances beyond reason to go to one of the other 3, especially if there are siblings to consider. Alabama is a fine school especially if you do honors and I hear their dorms are great.</p>

<p>I messed up on the price difference. It is actually around $15,000 a year between Michigan and Alabama, if that would make any difference. My parents are willing to pay up to $35,000 per year.</p>

<p>If your family finances are not an issue, ie no loans or budget problems, don’t make money the basis of choice. Instead look at the requirements for any proposed major at the schools and the upper division courses available. In other words- compare the academic opportunities. Then think about the campus culture- student demographics, liberalness and others. Also consider the northern/southern weather and cultures. Good time to see if you can handle the winter. Finally, determine if any one school is worth spending a lot more for even if your parents and you can afford it. Whatever you decide don’t look back or have regrets. Good luck.</p>

<p>Congratulations. You have been accepted to very good schools. You will find a great education at all of them. As Wis75 mentioned, visit all of them and get a feel for the campus at large. You will know which one feels right to you. </p>

<p>Once you make your choice, don’t look back and enjoy the next four years.</p>