Mount Allison University PPE Program?

Ds has been accepted to Mt. Allison for PPE with a financial offer, and he’s leaning toward taking it. The info I can find online is a bit limited–any insights into the PPE program in particular and whether after graduation a degree from Mount Allison will hamper his likely acceptance at a more prestigious graduate program? He’s talked about aiming for Oxford or similar for grad school.
He has yet to hear from his other applications, though currently he feels Mt. A beats out U. Pitt.
TIA

With 56 Rhodes Scholars, Mount Allison seems well connected to Oxford.

1 Like

In what field? I generally think of PPE as a terminal degree. If the interest in graduate school is on the Econ side, the most important thing is a very strong foundation in Math.

I do not know much specifically about the Philosophy, Politics, and Economics program at Mount Allison.

However, we have visited Mount Allison several times. Both daughters were accepted there, and we very seriously considered it. This included taking guided tours of the university. For one daughter the final decision came down between Mount Allison, Bishop’s, and Acadia University. We liked all three universities quite a bit which made the decision quite difficult.

Mount Allison is usually ranked as the #1 small primarily undergraduate university in Canada. It is a very good university. Many of its graduates go on to graduate programs at better known and larger universities.

Because all three of these universities are so small, I have not admitted which my daughter attended. However, she got a very good education. Afterwards she had some difficulty finding appropriate employment in eastern Canada. She traveled a bit and then returned to the US and started looking for a job. She had many job interviews and ended up with three good offers in five weeks. The job that she took has given her very good experience.

Having small classes taught by full professors makes it easier to get to know the professors, which probably helped in terms of getting research opportunities. Also, there are relatively few graduate students that you need to compete with for research opportunities.

One difference that we noted between US and Canadian universities: In the US there are more “general requirements” that are outside of your major. Our daughter who attended a small university in Canada ended up taking quite a few classes that were in her major or a closely related field. She also got involved in research as an undergraduate student, and at one point personally applied for and won a government grant to continue her research over the summer (which she was paid for, got academic credit for, and became the basis for her honour’s thesis). Her honour’s thesis to me looked like something that you might expect for a master’s degree thesis in the US.

Overall it was a very positive experience. The daughter who attended a small university in Canada has not yet gotten to the point of applying for graduate programs, but I am not concerned at all about her chances when this does come up.

By the way, as a math major I took one single course in graduate school that was not math related. It was econometrics. There is a lot of math in quantitative economics, and I agree that it is useful to have a solid foundation in math if you are interested in economics (and I liked econometrics quite a bit).

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.