Moving to the NE for senior year, need help with college list! [RI resident, 3.9 GPA, 35 ACT, will be NMF, parent contribution <$40k, no need-based FA]

I believe that refers to the New England Tuition Break program (formerly Regional Student Program). If you’re state doesn’t offer a particular major, you can get a discounted tuition to another New England State that does. https://nebhe.org/info/pdf/tuitionbreak/2023-24/ALL_Bachelors.pdf

1 Like

How far from you parents does this student want to be? If distance isn’t an issue, look at University of New Mexico. It’s not as huge as some of the flagships. And they have a very very good scholarship for NMF.

@WayOutWestMom

2 Likes

This became a big consideration in my s23s final decision. One that he didn’t really think about until we were comparing acceptances.

A few to consider

Holy Cross (MA) - City location, great curriculum with lots of flexibility in curriculum, fantastic alumni network and a huge endowment for its size. Downside is its smaller than you were looking for and is getting very competitive. Decent shot at merit. It’s probably just an hour away from you and worth a visit

SUNy Binghamton - City location 18K undergrads (but an honors college). Great Business, SUNY schools have been making a push to bring in more OOS students

ST Johns: NYC location, Great Business School, good opportunities for Merit. 10K undergrads

Pitt: Great college city, Honors college good business school, outstanding undergrad philosophy department. Love the rolling admission for an early acceptance

1 Like

I do think that schools will take into consideration her having moved around so much during high school, and yet managing to do so well academically. This is something that her guidance counselor should put in her letter - and for her to be able to do that, your daughter needs to assertively pursue time with the guidance counselor, in multiple planning meetings, so that she can get to know your daughter a bit, and gain a full understanding of the academic setting at each school your daughter attended.

Umass amherst will likely give her honors college and their maximum OOS merit, which will bring it down to close to your budget, and to less than you would have paid for the New Englanders rate (which is only for certain majors that your own state schools don’t have). U Maine probably would too, and UConn might do the same. The advantage of a big flagship state U is that they will have many, many majors available - especially nice is UMass Amherst with its easy access to the other schools in the 5 college consortium.

Problem with chasing merit money is that the private schools that would offer you enough merit to fit your budget are unlikely to have many students who are her peers, academically - you’re really looking at the 3rd tier privates for massive merit money for a student like her. The other option is state U’s in the south or southwest that offer a ton of NMF merit money. In my opinion, if she’s willing and able to go there, this is your best option, because of the money issue.

3 Likes

To build on MMRose’s post about McGill, if your D is looking for a more LAC feel, you may want to take a look at the 4 Canadian universities in the Maple League - Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Bishop’s University in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick, and St. Francis Xavier University in Antagonish, Nova Scotia. That may be further afield than you are willing to go (although Atlantic Canada is close geographically to the Maritimes, the drives aren’t short! Bishop’s would be your closest geographic option on this list), but I think they’re worth a look because they provide the closest thing to a true LAC experience as is possible in the Canadian university landscape, with small classes, attentive faculty, and great research opportunities. I’m Canadian (and about ~10 years out of high school now; I actually went to a small LAC in the midwest to pursue musical theatre) and gave attending Acadia some very serious consideration when I was in high school; these schools are well-regarded. With the strong US dollar and stats-based admissions to these schools, your daughter would be well-positioned for a less expensive degree and entrance scholarships.

You may also want to look at the University of King’s College in Halifax, Nova Scotia - it’s a small school, but it’s allied with Dalhousie University (20,000 undergrads) so you really get the best of both worlds. They have a really unique Foundation Year Program (https://ukings.ca/area-of-study/foundation-year-program/) for first year students that may give her the “classical education” she is looking for.

3 Likes

University of Tulsa has 22% Pell grant among frosh according to College Navigator - University of Tulsa . Race and ethnicity of undergraduates is also shown there.

1 Like

Big merit money is usually found at colleges where the student is “overqualified” relative to the admission selectivity of the college. This applies to both private and public colleges, and large and small colleges. However, larger less selective colleges may have enough “overqualified” students that they offer honors or other more rigorous options along with “hard” majors that smaller less selective colleges may not find enough student interest in to be worth offering.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.