Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Parents are musicians (dad major symphony, mom opera musician). D is a violinist applying to schools for fall 2008. S is twin, engineering major.</p>

<p>D had thoracic outlet syndrome, successfully repaired summer 2006, so she's behind technically which is making auditioning successfully difficult.</p>

<p>I am a junior in high school planning to go into a music major/business minor, preferably jazz. Oh yeah and I play guitar.</p>

<p>Can anyone give us thoughts on comparing the music education/vocal performance programs at NYU (Stenhardt), Vanderbilt (Blair) and Hartt? Our D accepted at these 3...all seem very different in many ways.</p>

<p>Franklin, one way to compare the mus ed programs is to do side by side comparisons of the recommended curriculum and required courses, usually available through the university online handbook or the school/dept specific supplement. This will give you an idea of the depth of the program, the amount of involvement beginning with the first semester. </p>

<p>Look at the mix of non-music or ed electives and see if there is any room for D to structure these along her areas of personal interest, either by pursuing specific academic areas for general knowledge or additional music/educational related specific topics. </p>

<p>Credentials/backgrounds of the department heads, tenured faculty and their professional associations, awards, standing and recognition within the discipline by peers is another indicator of a good program.</p>

<p>Emphasis on peer to peer teaching for mus ed students, actual classroom observations, participatory programs like String NSPC:</a> NSPC or Band Projects and other direct immersion options like after school lessons, outreach, etc. are important in introducing both classroom and student/teacher techniques. </p>

<p>Hartt for example has both a freshman and sophomore "partnership", between
fall and spring semester breaks. It requires the student to pair with a local public school music teacher for a week to shadow, observe, and particpate in actual classroom activity. It's a mandatory requirement to their program, and serves as an early means of exposure to the classroom. Hartt also has an on-site magnet elementary school, and requires either String or Band project involvement for all music ed instrumental emphasis students. There is probably a mandatory similar requirement for general and vocal music ed majors, but I don't know if the magnet school is used for those programs. </p>

<p>Look at how each school handles state certification milestones and requirements, such as Praxis I and II, mandated general academic requirements in English, history, math and health areas. A good program will have the support in helping a student understand the process.</p>

<p>Involvement at the student level in professional organizations such as ASTA, MENC, MTNA and others is important... are there active on campus student run groups? Is participation optional, suggested or required of music ed majors? Does the program encourage or support attendance at regional or national annual conventions? Does the school itself serve as a hotbed for sponsoring professional workshops and continuing ed for professional development.</p>

<p>Try and get a handle on the student teaching semester. Geographic range of assisgnments, choices. Can student live on campus, must commute and how far, are alternative housing arrangements necessary?</p>

<p>Talk to music educators and administrators within D's potential areas of employment. What is their experience with grads from these schools? </p>

<p>Grad placement rates and employment percentages are important. Is the school's reputation local, regional or national? </p>

<p>I'm not well versed in Vanderbilt's rep, but both NYU and Hartt have very strong national reps in producing dedicated, well trained and sought after music ed teachers.</p>

<p>Hello all. I'm a parent (Dad) of a college junior, non-music major, but who plays the oboe quite well (started in 3rd grade) and continues to take private lessons at her university. Being that we're now on her fourth oboe, I sometimes wish that she had chosen a less expensive instrument! I am also a board member of a 501(c)(3) tax exempt charitable foundation that I started along with some other folks to raise funds to enhance music education in our local public school system in Connecticut. Currently, our "big" project is to implement string programs in the elementary, middle and high school with an eye towards eventually having a symphony orchestra at the high school level. If anyone has been down this road and can offer advice on organizing a string program and/or major fundraising for this kind of endeavor, please let me know. Thanks!</p>

<p>gbesq- Be thankful she's not a string player.</p>

<p>^violadad, so I've heard. Actually, when I listen to her play now, the smile it brings to my face is worth every cent. She has come a long way from her elementary school days when our Old English Sheepdog would howl as she practiced. :-)</p>

<p>Is there a forum whereby all of you wise people have posted trip reports after visiting music schools? Having just returned home, I'd love to see if our impressions were shared by others!</p>

<p>SJTH, most impressions are just scattered throughout this forum. </p>

<p>Someone tried to start a thread like you mentioned awhile ago, <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/474143-audition-reflections.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/474143-audition-reflections.html&lt;/a>, but it didn't really take off.</p>

<p>I'll try to post my impressions soon . . . I really do think it's a wonderful idea.</p>

<p>D is the Music Magus I just borrowed the name. She is an only child. so we don't have to go through this again ever (we hope) So far she is a Mezzo. Both parents are musical inepts (I have been banned from singing in plubic,I am not kidding - husband can barely wistle).<br>
D goes to an all girls boarding school (by choice), not very strong in performing arts. She is the first one in ages at her school to be interested in classical vocal perfomance (most girls want to do Broadway).</p>

<p>I’ve been lurking since last fall. This forum has provided me with a wealth of information! My S is a Jr. who is looking into colleges for jazz performance (guitar) – (jazzzmomm, thanks for all of the wonderful postings.) At this point in time, S’s “checklist” jives with all of the information that I have read on this forum regarding the pathway to college auditions. </p>

<p>-Passion for instrument/jazz genre
-Guitar chair in top level H.S. ensemble
-Studies with internationally know jazz guitarist who is also on staff of several colleges
-Participates in regional pre-college program
-Has auditioned (twice) for regional competitions. One he did not make, the other TBD.</p>

<p>As the class of ’09 steps up to the plate, I thought that it would be a good time for me to finally post in the Music Major forum. As I read the acceptances rolling in, I can sense the excitement/exhilaration/relief that you and your S/D’s are experiencing. I don’t know where S will be next year but thanks “CC community” for your wisdom and direction!</p>

<p>jazzlib, if you have any specific questions about the process you are entering, don't hesitate to pm me. I would be glad to share experiences of parenting the jazz guitarist!</p>

<p>Welcome, jazzlib!
You will find soooo much great info, support here. I know we did!</p>

<p>Franklinbm - My D applied and was accepted at Blair for violin performance. I was fairly neutral until we visited for the audition. The most hospitable audition experience bar none. We were quite impressed overall. Blair is a very up and coming program. Nice facilities. Students go on to impressive graduate programs if they choose. They also support double majors if that's what the student wants. My D absolutely loved the atmosphere and we are Midwesterners. She loved the teachers there. They are very devoted to the undergraduates as there is no graduate program. Due to the tuition, we researched financial aid. Vanderbilt was ranked second in the country for providing financial assistance to their students. My D hasn't heard from all the schools yet (making us a little crazy), but is very excited about that program and the University. There is brand new housing for the incoming class (The Commons). Hopefully we can figure it out in the next week. She can definitely see herself there next year.</p>

<p>Hi all. I've been a regular reader since last fall and thought I'd step up the plate, so to speak! My son is a percussionist, in ninth grade. He will be attending Interlochen for the third straight summer this year, and plays with a local youth symphony.</p>

<p>I've learned so much from all of your postings and feel much more confident than I did last fall about what to expect and how to prepare. I also love the comraderie and support of those who post. Thanks!
Linde</p>

<p>My D is a sophomore at a public high school in a suburb of Chicago. She has taken piano privately for 8 years, played flute in school bands for 6 years, and sings in chorale (mainly for fun.) Although she is involved in all these musical activities, she has never been one to sit and practice for hours. She has played around with some very basic music composition - very juvenile stuff at this point. She is also an athlete (track and cross country) so she doesn't really have alot of free time to practice. She has worked her way up to first chair in the second year band at school. In previous piano competitions she has done well but when I heard other kids her age or younger playing full sonatas (to her sonantina) I felt like they were out of her league. </p>

<p>Even though she has done all this musical stuff, I was surprised when she mentioned an interest in majoring in music in college. She would rather spend her spare hours IM'ing or reading Harry Potter blogs than practice. On the other hand, her piano teacher (who has a PhD in Music from Northwestern) has been very encouraging about the idea of her pursuing music. She has studied with him for less than a year but since she mentioned a possible music major, he was changed the focus of her lessons a bit. </p>

<p>When I recently discovered this wonderful site, it made be realize how naive my D and I are about music. I don't want to discourage her and yet I don't want her to be put in a position where she is competing for spots with others who are much more passionate and willing to put time and effort into practice and audition preparation. </p>

<p>Sorry for rambling on. I'd appreciate any thoughts from you veterans. Thanks.</p>

<p>I am a junior at a public high school in Flagstaff, Arizona. I play in band and started singing in choir last year. Basically, when I got to high school I had never sang, was mediocre at saxophone (at best) and my director decided to switch me to Euphonium. Sophomore year started choir my second semester.</p>

<p>This year I basically decided music is what I wanted to do and got more serious about practice and such, made All-State Choir (middle of the bass section) and totally bombed my Euphonium audition, reason I made choir was mostly because I have pretty good ears. </p>

<p>My teacher has told me to do some research and find some schools that I want to go to, and this is when I stumbled upon this sight, seems like quite the blessing, hope to get some questions answered as I made a jump towards going to high school.</p>

<p>PS: I currently use my school's instrument and my parents aren't likely going to be able to afford a 6000$ euphonium, is there a chance scholarship money could be used on a new instrument?</p>

<p>-very new to this</p>

<p>Not many scholarships would cover the purchase of a new instrument. Most scholarships cover just a portion of tuition and, if you get a really big one, it may also cover housing expenses and meals. The ones that actually pay you a stipend above the cost of attendance are extremely rare.</p>

<p>Some colleges have loaner instruments, but don't count on them being the kind of professional instrument that $6000 would buy. More likely they would be an intermediate level instrument costing a third to a half of that amount.</p>

<p>My daughter will be a freshman at the University of Michigan in the fall majoring in harp performance. Any other music majors headed to U of M?</p>

<p>tyaj07, Welcome and congrats to your D. The thread here <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/424909-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2008-a-30.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/424909-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2008-a-30.html&lt;/a> details acceptances by both user name and school. There are currently six CC posters with acceptances to UMich.</p>

<p>The sister list of final decisions is here, <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/476684-master-list-final-decisions-fall-2008-a-6.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/476684-master-list-final-decisions-fall-2008-a-6.html&lt;/a> and though post #82, no one has yet committed to UMich.</p>

<p>I've added your D to the final list. If you want to add her other acceptances, list them by school (here or in the acceptances thread) and they'll get posted.</p>