Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>They were all quick to say “we are a need based school” . This was stated over and over so much it seemed kind of strange. These musicians have really sacrificed a lot in their lives and I cannot imagine throwing them in a big pool like everyone else that applies. </p>

<p>I would love to hear any stories that anyone else has about getting some merit offers. It is kind of hard to find info on these on the websites.
Thanks!</p>

<p>Wis3over - I sent you a pm.</p>

<p>Wis3over: check out the spreadsheet here: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13626358-post3.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13626358-post3.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>File > Download as > Excel</p>

<p>Then sort by Primary Instrument/Scholarship.</p>

<p>Note that will give you this year’s data only. If you go to the first post in <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1260441-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2012-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1260441-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2012-a.html&lt;/a&gt; you can also find pointers to the previous year’s data set, then go to the beginning of that thread for a link to prior years and so forth.</p>

<p>FYI: S got 6 of 7 acceptances, 5 with scholarships. The lone rejection was Northwestern, where he didn’t even get by the pre-screen. I don’t feel so bad now knowing that they scoff at the mention of merit scholarships.</p>

<p>Also, I sent the same pre-screen videos to NYU, where we got our largest offer.</p>

<p>My S’s ex-girlfriend is a freshmen at NW. She was a National Merit finalist. She chose NW over U of Chicago and although I don’t know the details-I believe she got a full-ride. Whether that includes her housing/dining I don’t know. My S auditioned at UNT and merit finalists get everything free there including a book allowance</p>

<p>Hawkrn - if you’re referring to Northwestern as NW if your friend has a ‘full ride’ it’s because her family has serious financial need. Northwestern can be generous in meeting need - but there has to be determined need in the first place. Btw. in 2009 my son was a National Merit Finalist and had financial need - at Northwestern he was offered $2500 a year as a NMF merit scholarship, he was also offered a music merit scholarship of around 4,000 (can’t quite remember anymore) and then he was offered, in addition, financial aid in the form of grants to meet the rest of our determined need. Whether or not he was granted the music merit award because we also had financial need is something this forum has never been able to determine.</p>

<p>hmmm, they have more income than I do so I must be mistaken! She is a journalism major and loves it and has an internship downtown for the summer already as a freshman</p>

<p>So, introductions…
I’m a Norwegian girl that is a junior at an international school in New Mexico. My instrument is voice (and some piano), and I’m applying to college in the States next year in hope of a merit scholarship. Fave schools so far: St Olaf, Oberlin, Rice.
-Sunniva</p>

<p>Hello All. I’ve not posted in a while but have a “situation” and need your help!</p>

<p>My son just came home from taking the AP Music Theory Exam and felt just AWFUL about how he’d done. Perhaps of course he is over-reacting and he will find out in June that he did just fine. But, what if he truly bombed it?</p>

<p>He is just a Sophomore, one of the few in the class. And he LOVED it. Made an A last grading period though I believe he has a B overall and he made 5’s on the practice tests the teacher gave (and this is a tough teacher), so, he went into the exam feeling confident. In fact, he said he was looking forward to it and thought it would be fun! I surely never heard my older son say that when he headed off to HIS (in English, APUSH, etc.), ha!</p>

<p>I read on another tread on CC that the AP Music Theory Exam is not even necessary for Music Schools as they have their applicants take their own placement test, so, even if he makes a 5 he will not get “credit” for it as a Music Major. If that is the case, I would say it really doesn’t matter. Though, of course, if he wants to be a Music Composition major, bombing the AP exam doesn’t bode well.</p>

<p>Should he take it over again next year? Of course, that means going and sitting for an exam in a class he hasn’t taken all year. Not sure that’s such a good idea.</p>

<p>I know typically when a student does poorly on the Exam but has a good grade in the class that indicates the course itself was not rigorous enough. That is NOT the case here and I truly believe my son was one of the top students in the class. Perhaps I’m delusional or maybe my son just can’t “do” those grueling tests! If that’s the case I’m quaking in my boots thinking about him getting through his SAT’s. AAUUGGHH!!</p>

<p>Anyone have any words of wisdom here?</p>

<p>Don’t get hung up on the AP test score. As you have heard, the schools have their own placement tests that correspond to the way they teach theory. He may have to start from scratch in the Music Theory/Ear Training classes or he may place out of a semester or two. In any event, even if he got a 5, not many music schools grant AP credit for Music Theory.</p>

<p>What will matter is his portfolio. The end of sophomore year is not too early to look up what various schools require in a portfolio from their Composition applicants, and to get started on some of those pieces possibly with the help of a private teacher. In a little over a year, he will be filling out applications.</p>

<p>Thanks BassDad!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry at all about the AP Music Theory test for composition applicants. My son didn’t even study Music Theory in school, only privately with his composition teacher. I would instead focus on making sure he has a wonderful composition teacher for the next 2 years, and start looking into a summer program for the summer after Junior year where he can get some of his compositions performed and recorded - VERY helpful for the subsequent applications.</p>

<p>I agree that NTH’s son should put the AP Music theory test in the closet and not worry about it. No conservatory and quite a few schools of music do not even accept the AP score. Oberlin has its own theory test that composition applicants take online as part of their application and it is a factor in admissions decisions. I differ a bit with SpiritManager on the need for theory study apart from simply the composition lessons, but my beliefs in this matter are based on my son’s experiences. He is an absolute theory wonk and as a high schooler understands concepts that are beyond his years. I think it is NTH’s own son’s love or dislike for theory that should govern how much he takes in school. It is vital though as SpiritManager suggests that he compose and be ready early with his best work for his applications. The number of folks appplying to the best composition programs are staggering compared with the number of spots available.</p>

<p>Compdad - I wasn’t saying not to study theory - my son’s composition teacher taught him miles more than an AP Music course. For the first years of composition, theory was a major part of his lessons.</p>

<p>I understand and I’m sorry if I underplayed your thought. My son took AP music theory as a 10th grader and found it a decent foundation on which to build. But it was only a foundation. There is a reason conservatories don’t take it.</p>

<p>Greetings. I have been on here as a new member but chose to restart under another name after hearing its best to remain anonymous. Any way to reintroduce. I have a daughter who is a junior this year. She would like to be a piano performance major. We have looked at Temple, BU, Hartt, and NEC. We had a horrible experience at NEC and are focusing on Hartt and Temple for right now. She will be attending the International Institue of Young Musicians this summer. We are gearing up for this years preparations. I have heard that it is best to work on the essays for applications this summer to save stress in the fall. How do we know what the essays will likely be. We have not actually started the application process yet. Can anyone help with this? Any other ideas or suggestions to help alleviate stress in the next year? Thank you</p>

<p>pianolovers,
I am curious what your bad experience was with NEC. Does your daughter not like the piano teacher there? Have you also looked into Manhattan school of Music? If a college uses the Universal Application for Art colleges (or what ever it is called) then that application is often posted to the web site some time in July. Unfortunately many colleges have supplemental essays of their own in addition to using that application. But if what our son found was that if he focused on the main essay he often could tweak them to get them to work for the supplemental essays so he didn’t have to start from scratch</p>

<p>It’s a fair bet that at least a couple of schools will have some variation on “why do you want to go into music” or “tell us about a significant musical experience you have had.” There will no doubt be at least one “why our school?” essay. Drafting out ideas for these kinds of questions could provide a nice foundation for essay writing once this year’s questions are released (usually mid summer IIRC).</p>

<p>Hello parents of musicians!</p>

<p>I’m a long-time CC poster and parent of three. I’ve spent most of my time over on the athletic recruiting page because D1 is a college athlete. </p>

<p>My third child, S1, is a musician and is finishing his junior year in high school. He plays upright bass and bass guitar, primarily jazz, but also plays orchestral music, and also sings in an audition choir in a pretty good program.</p>

<p>He does NOT plan to be a music major, but is very interested in continuing playing/singing jazz and a capella in college at a fairly high level. He plans to go to medical school eventually, if the stars align, and hasn’t decided on an undergrad major yet, but it will be math, science or engineering and is interested in going to a fairly selective school in either New England, the Pacific NW or California. </p>

<p>Primary questions right now:

1. recommendations for schools that have strong jazz performance groups and who would welcome a non-music major bass player
  2. what is the audition/performance CD/DVD process for a non-major? Timeline, format of supplementary materials?</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. And hey, if non-music major parents aren’t welcome over here, let me know that too!</p>