Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Hi, I’m new to CC! I’m a parent of a cellist who is a junior in a very academic school in NYC. He wants to study music, possibly dual major, in a more “chill” environment. I am thinking Oberlin might be a good fit for him but want to know more about it --pros and cons. Any responses out there? BassDad, I’ve followed your posts and if you still are reading these I’d love to hear your thoughts . . .</p>

<p>Oberlin can be chill in some ways and intense in others. He should be able to satisfy both his musical and his academic interests there. Pros and cons are very personal and what is a pro for one person at Oberlin could be a con for another, and vice versa. Without knowing more about what he wants and what he does not want, it is hard to respond.</p>

<p>One thing that I believe is almost universally a pro is that the dual degree program is structured so as to make completion of both degrees reasonably possible in five years. There is institutional support at all levels for the program (unless you happen to have one of a small number of applied music teachers who do not want their students pursuing a degree outside of music). Most faculty and staff members are far more likely to find ways to help a student succeed than to put inflexible barriers or regulations in their way.</p>

<p>One possible con is that some people seem to want to view everything through the lens of political correctness, and that gets old after a while. Not everyone does this, of course, but a little of that goes a long way.</p>

<p>Have you visited yet? I would suggest a pre-audition/pre-application visit and possibly a sample lesson. More than any other school on her list, the visit to Oberlin was incredibly telling – and pretty much the polar opposite of what she (and I) were expecting to be her reaction.</p>

<p>Hello, I am new to CC also… S will be senior next year and most likely applying to a top 20~40 ranked academic program, dual majoring with Music Education. He plays the Cello. </p>

<p>This site is great site and provides great amount of information on music schools and programs. It sure will be crazy for our family with school visits, interviews, auditions, and applications…</p>

<p>Also, I will continue to be here for few more years since our HS Freshman S plays the violin.</p>

<p>Looking forward to posting with all of you.</p>

<p>Parent (mom) of 2 daughters. Elder started as vocal performance major; now switched to poli sci with minors in math, econ and voice. Younger D high school rising senior, looking at vocal performance or MT programs, also plays piano, bassoon in band.</p>

<p>Hi Everyone :slight_smile:
I am an undergrad sophomore majoring in instrumental music education. I am also considering majoring in voice performance (see my post). My primary instrument is the French horn, though I also play piano, mallet instruments, and sing.</p>

<p>We visited Oberlin in April. Pros include the fact that this is the only conservatory with music classes in the same vicinity as academic classes. It is quiet and very musical–over 500 performances per year. The recording studio is amazing. The campus is safe. Financial aid is good. Classes are all taught by professors. Cons: very rural and not very diverse.</p>

<p>Lschierow, I would suggest, if you are looking for a conservatory with academic and music classes in the same proximity (assuming you are after an academic double-major, as most conservatories do offer their gen-eds on campus) you might want to also look into Bard, Rice, and CIM (Case is literally a stone’s throw away.) If you are a string player, you might also want to consider the McDuffie program at Mercer University. [McDuffie</a> Center for Strings • Home](<a href=“McDuffie Center for Strings”>McDuffie Center for Strings)</p>

<p>Also, you should probably take your post to a thread other than the intro thread.</p>

<p>Hartt also has academic and music classes in close proximity.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. I’m new here. I am amazed and thankful to all the posts. I’m a dad of a HS junior. Being an accountant, I’ve been worried about if he should go with music major. He started performing on stage since 8 (school and local theater co); accepted voice training since middle school. Finally last November we found a really good teacher. We did a tour of Julliard last year, I was somewhat discouraged by that the undergraduate gets no chance in operas (well finally got the point when his current teacher told him he’ll be ready when he’s 30).</p>

<p>I took him to the Classical singer competition in Boston recently. There are so many talents out there! Should he do this? Well, he is quick in learning math and science; but his academics are not really great since he feels everything is so easy for him to pick up. Will his academics affect if he decides to go music major? What to feed him before 30?</p>

<p>Hi Baritone2 - welcome! We have been where you are fairly recently. My D is also finishing up junior year & has at various times wanted to major in music (soprano voice) or musical theater. She has now decided on starting as a chem major, but we are carefully checking out the music opportunities for non-majors at all of the schools she’s considering. Here is some advice I’ve received on CC that I think is good:</p>

<p>1) Don’t major in music unless you can’t imagine doing anything else. If it is your one and only passion, then go for it.
2) If you must major in music as an undergrad, try to double major with something else (apparently VERY difficult to do at some schools, much easier at others) or at least get a certificate in music education.
3) Another option is to get a degree in a “marketable” field while minoring in music and participating as heavily as possible in department activities and ensembles (this is what my D is planning). Then, if after 4 years you still want to sing professionally, go to grad school - your voice will be more mature & this is a better time to learn if you have what it takes.
4) Be aware that there is scholarship money out there for non-majors. Many schools will provide a stipend for private lessons with faculty or for participating in ensembles.
5) The audition process for acceptance to voice programs will have you travelling quite a bit this fall - it is important to plan pretty far ahead!
6) If your son is interested in Musical Theater, check out the very busy thread on that major. Tons of info there!</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi, everyone! I’m a community college student trying to decide whether I want to transfer to an acting program or a pop music performance major. Won’t be my first year at a four year college until fall of 2014, most likely.</p>

<p>Hello! Love all the posts! This is my first.</p>

<p>My DD is a rising senior soprano and will attend DePauw Vocal Arts Camp, WNO Institute, and Oberlin Vocal Academy this summer! She will begin the difficult process of college/conservatory auditions this Fall/Winter.</p>

<p>She is also considering attending Interlochen’s Academy for her senior year. She loves the faculty there, and enjoyed the 6 week summer vocal program last summer. </p>

<p>College Hopes: The usual reaches (Oberlin, Eastman, Julliard, U of M, Rice, CIM) and some liberal arts/university options (Blair, DePauw, Hofstra(received a 15K/yr scholarship there) , Skidmore , and Hope College in Holland, Michigan). </p>

<p>Her grades and ACT scores are strong, but it all kind of ends up in the hands of fate, come audition time. :)</p>

<p>Best wishes to all on this forum!</p>

<p>I’ll introduce myself as well. </p>

<p>My DS is a rising senior. He is an accomplished pianist who has won all of his local competitions during high school and a few State competitions. He has completed 11 years of National Guild and will get a Guild diploma next year. </p>

<p>Although he is classically trained, he would prefer to study music technology or composition in college. </p>

<p>He is currently top in his class and is considering whether he should dual major with computer science or if he will major in computer science and minor in composition or music technology. </p>

<p>I have multiple children so will be on this site for many years. There is so much good information here. I have learned much.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your son, Anne!</p>

<p>Thank you, GertrudeMcFuzz!
I had a typo in the OP, he will be a junior after summer. At 16, it’s bit early to see his passions. His utmost passion is video games; besides performing on stage; then anything relates to school group activities (choir or varsity). My W is encouraging him to major (or minor) in Math; but so far he’s not doing excellent in Math or Chemistry.</p>

<p>Baritone2: The best thing we ever did for our S (a bass/baritone) was to send him to a couple summer programs during the summer between his junior and senior years. He spent a total of 6 weeks studying with some top teachers and with other HS students, as well as undergrad and grad students at one program. After that summer, he was convinced that 1) he had the talent to succeed and 2) this is what he wanted to do with his life. I would highly recommend a competitive summer program.</p>

<p>Thank you, megpmom!
Yes, we are debating the summer camp for next year. One of his teachers mentioned to take him to MSM voice festival. The timing is too early for him (mid-May to end of June). If you don’t mind, would you please let me know the 6-week camp?</p>

<p>He actually did 4 weeks at SongFest at the Colburn School of Music in Los Angeles and 2 weeks at Westminster Choir College (Solo Vocal Artist). He enjoyed both although, Westminster was more like a “camp”, while SongFest was a festival where the kids were pretty much on their own to plan and determine their own schedules, etc. Both were valuable experiences.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing, megpmom! Yes, we are considering SongFest, I heard they started from Pepperdine; Colburn is an excellent venue. I saw your S is going Westminster, he must have had a wonderful time there. Does he like any particular voice teacher there? I saw quite some comments here saying teacher is more critical for college years. It took us quite a few years to find a wonderful teacher. S has had this interesting thought that he needs to take lessons from a male teacher (but 90% are not :).</p>