Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Momzie—check each individual school. They should have audition dates on their websites by now. It varies greatly. And for schools requiring prescreens, he should probably be getting that ready now or at least in the near future.</p>

<p>Momzie, you might want to consider starting a new thread with your question. That way future generations can look it up, instead of it staying buried in the introductions thread. :slight_smile: Having said that – I went on this ride last year. We had a long list of schools which were almost all very far away. But auditions were done by the first week of March. Depending upon how much time you need for preparation, presenting at a conference at the end of April shouldn’t conflict with auditions.</p>

<p>Momzie, the auditions will be over but you may need to take your child back for revisits at the schools in mid to late April. We spent the April break revisiting schools and taking lessons with the studio teachers since son was having trouble committing. Also, each school we visited increased their scholarship offers during that final week. The state school son attends came up with a package we couldn’t say no to that last week. (He is a music ed major so a specific studio teacher was important but not the only consideration.) If your child gets into their dream school with good financial aid offers, you may just be able to sit and enjoy April. If your child ends up on the wait list at the favorite school, then you may be shuttling around to find a good fit for you musician.</p>

<p>Could anyone one here please direct me to a thread that discusses various grad school programs for music ed (or possibly even Conducting)? D is currently a senior music student at Oklahoma City University (double-major in violin performance and instrumental music ed - wanting to teach high school orchestra, most likely). She is looking ahead and researching grad schools for a little farther down the road…she will be student teaching next fall, so not actually done at OCU until December '14. Belmont University is one consideration. Anyone attended any of their grad programs in the music school? Nashville is a desirable area, since D also enjoys songwriting and is very involved with worship music. Any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and say hello. I am the mom of a junior in high school, who is a double bass player (classical and jazz both). I am sure I will be popping in to this forum over the next couple of years for your help and support!! Thanks ahead of time!</p>

<p>Rpianodad: Definitely varies school to school as far as practice rooms. My daughter attends CCM, they are an all Steinway school, and as such, all practice rooms have Steinways, and the practice building is a cool converted old dormitory. Music majors spend a lot of time waiting on practice rooms! I remember Eastman’s practice rooms were very cool, in an old building that was just so neat no matter what floor you were on.</p>

<p>So if hypothetically your kid took a lesson (or multiple lessons) with someone at the place where they really want to study, and she asked your child where else he was applying, and then asked, “So why would you ever want to go there?” would that be any sort of indicator that actually she really wanted to teach your child herself? (Hate this. Trying not to read too much into anything.) SHe did tell me that my child was definitely ‘conservatory material’ when I asked straight out, but I’m still wondering if there’s some way to tell from the lessons how much a particular teacher might be willing to go to bat for your child.</p>

<p>Hi,
I am a Mom with a junior daughter who wants to major in music ed - vocals. We are on the east coast - Philly area. We are touring lots of colleges. My biggest concern is probably everybody’s - cost. I’m trying not to look at the cost but it’s hard not to. My daughter is talented (didn’t even know until 2 professionals clued us in). First does anyone have any college recommendations and second - is there really talent scholarship out there that will help pay for college?</p>

<p>Your best bet for music ed are almost invariably in state schools. Make sure that the scholarships that they offer for voice apply to music ed, rather than just for those students studying vocal performance.</p>

<p>For vocalists looking into music ed on the east coast, I’d recommend Westminster Choir College. Yes, it’s private and expensive, but freshman scholarships are based on academics. So, if your child is a good student they could get up to $20,000 a year on academics alone. Then they may throw in very small music scholarships on top - especially in later years.</p>

<p>Youngest son (of 3) is a sophomore in Jazz Double Bass at NEC. Middle son is a senior majoring in math and applying to grad school who plays guitar (Jazz, classical and new age) and does some composition. Oldest started off in theater at Tisch and is now becoming a nurse practitioner. Neither husband or I are musical. I am a visual artist.</p>

<p>Take a look at Temple - right in your backyard! It is currently my daughters top choice for vocal performance (soprano) if she is accepted to the music department. With her grades and SAT scores, she will get full tuition plus $4000 stipend each summer. The Honors Program is great too. DD did California All-State choir a couple years ago with faculty member Rollo Dilworth - he seems terrific. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi all. I’ve been snooping around, getting to know everyone on the music major thread for a couple of years but have never posted so I joined CC tonight under a different name that sheds more light on who I am. I’m a mom with one son who is a sophomore at Vassar and plays soccer on their varsity team and another son who is a sophomore in high school who plays jazz and classical bass and is looking to attend a conservatory for college. I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Nice to meet everyone.</p>

<p>soccerjazz…is your S looking to study classical and jazz or just one discipline?</p>

<p>He’s not sure but he is leaning towards jazz. We went to the Performing Arts College Fair this weekend at UCLA and spoke to Eastman. Their Jazz Studies major has 3 semesters of classical study and then 5 semesters of jazz study so that was interesting to him. They used to have that on all instruments in the jazz studies program but they changed that this year and so now it is only for bass and trumpet because that is what the professors wanted on those instruments. He would like to go to Eastman’s summer program this summer which sounds like a good idea.</p>

<p>That is a great idea to go to the summer program–one way to get to know the school, to be sure. My S is a junior and a bassist but intends to focus on classical, and if he goes to a school that will let him do both jazz and classical, he’ll do both (in whatever form they let him). He really wants the full-on classical education though.</p>

<p>I am reintroducing myself because I am on this list again for my 2nd child who is a 10th grade violinist expressing interest in music school as well. He also studies composition but likely is more interested in violin major at this time. Older son is sophomore in college and is cellist and composition double major.</p>

<p>momsings and soccerjazz,
I am the parent of a college sophomore double bass player. My son was always clear that his focus was going to be Jazz but at the same time he recognized the value of classical training and ideally wanted a program that would allow him to continue dabbling in the classical music world. He has no intention of ever getting an orchestra position post graduating though.</p>

<p>Eastman was appealing because it is one of the only conservatories that combines classical study with Jazz study. The problem for my son was that the semesters that you were doing classical study you would not be in a Jazz ensemble but instead by in a classical (aka chamber) ensemble. Our son did not like that. </p>

<p>NEC has been great because it’s program is very flexible. Students can split their studios and they can choose to study with whoever they want assuming the professor agrees to take them. And although you are required to have at least one ensemble in your major you can audition and be placed in ensembles that are not in your major. So one of my son’s friends, who is a trumpet player is in a vocal gospel ensemble. My own son is taking lessons with instructors who do not play double bass with the goal of improving his musicality and musicianship and composition skills.</p>

<p>My daughter is a senior in high school and planning her first auditions in January. Her instrument is voice and she is a mezzo. Have very little idea what to expect but here’s a start right!?</p>

<p>StacJip–thanks for the information. I am curious…have you heard much about the flexibility of Oberlin’s program?</p>