Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Anyone heard from Cincinnati Conservatory of Music on prescreen for voice? Just getting impatient.</p>

<p>Hey guys! Iā€™m alex! Iā€™m a high school senior cellist and want to go to Eastman. Iā€™ve taken a lesson with a potential teacher there and absolutely love the environment. Iā€™m more musically inclined than academically. I donā€™t have a high gpa but I have taken all music courses I could at my high school (Music Theory, AP Music Theory, choir, orchestra) My private teacher who is in the principal cellist in the local philharmonic here is prepping me so much for the audition. The question I have, is that if I have an extremely strong audition at eastman, strong letters of recommendation, great personal statements and an awesome interview but awful gpa, what are my chances of getting in? I will clearly address in my interview that my grades DO NOT reflect my potential as a student. Which they donā€™t. Iā€™ve matured and am trying my hardest my senior to pull some decent grades.</p>

<p>Itā€™s been a year or two so hopefully Iā€™m not on here twiceā€¦my Son is on a Music Scholarship for Bass Trombone at the University of South Carolina, currently in his Sophomore year. Many factors are important and depend on the individual, for example my son turned down more ā€œprestigiousā€ schools because he loved the professor of trombone at SC and they focus on their undergrads. Itā€™s been a great choice for him in every way, and now heā€™s looking at graduate music programs that offer lots of $$ and can get him to the next level. Itā€™s a journey I never saw coming given the non-musical family he comes from, but he has exceeded our expectations from the day he informed us he made the all-state symphony back in HS. Chase your dreams and passions!</p>

<p>PS - academics matter to some degree (my son was good student and entered SC with 14 credits), but if youā€™re a ā€œgifted artistā€ musically, it can override a lot!</p>

<p>Hello, my son is a senior, a guitar player and applying now to schools for jazz, although the ā€œcontemporaryā€ approach is more to his liking - such as Berklee & The New School. He visited Mason Gross for the second time and have a good impression of their program as well. We sent the application today - one done and about 5 more to go!</p>

<p>soccerjazz: I wonder if later on in the thread someone will have suggested The New Schoolā€™s Mannes ā€“ tops for jazz ed. My D1 is at The New School for Drama. The place is exploding with creative talent and progressive thinking.</p>

<p>Some excellent colleges or Uā€™s with good voice programs:Rice, UMich, Oberlin, and UCLA.</p>

<p>Just popping in to say that we managed to finish five conservatory applications by that December 1st deadline! And in the process I learned how to extract an audio file from a video file, as well as how to splice two mp3 files together. </p>

<p>just wondering ā€“ thought I would feel so relaxed when the apps are done, but Iā€™m finding the whole sitting around and waiting for things to happen next to be every bit as frustrating as the applying part. Is it just me?</p>

<p>Momzie, if you think this is bad, wait till that stretch between auditions and notificationsā€¦or, oh yeah, notifications and financial aid information! :D</p>

<p>yeah, I have been having these really strange anxiety dreams lately. had one where our daughter turned out to be Patty Hearst and she robbed a bank! Huh?</p>

<p>Hello all! I am the mother of a 17 year old mezzo-soprano. Sent out applications and waiting for pre-screen decisions. DD ultimately wants to do musical theatre like her idol Audra McDonald. So sheā€™s looking at schools with both programs or at least opportunities in Musical theatre. And sheā€™s smart so there has to be an intellectual challenge for her as well. Yay! Fun and anxiety filled all at the same time.</p>

<p>Hi,
I havenā€™t posted in quite a while. I think Iā€™m recovering from the stress of the Dec. 1 deadline! My S is a cellist who is quite serious about pursuing music in college. However he also is interested in psychology, philosophy and history. Oberlin seems to be an ideal choice for him, especially if he is accepted to the dual degree program. He has also applied to Northwestern, Rice and Michigan, all for both the music program and A&S. Do any of you have any thoughts about, 1) the cello/music programs at these schools 2) the Dual degree programs at these schools 3) attending these schools with a strong interest/background in music but not as a music major? Also, are there other dual degree programs or LACs with strong music departments that you would suggest for a cellist?
Thanks for your thoughts!</p>

<p>Hi StuyMom2, </p>

<p>Check out Tanya Remenikova at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. She was a Rostropovich student, a stellar player and highly-regarded pedagogue. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a fantastic city with great arts (although the great Minnesota Orchestra is still in lockout).</p>

<p>So when will they hear back about the prescreens? Feeling so nervous for everybody! Our son has an audition at Oberlin in February, but other than that we are STILL WAITING . . .</p>

<p>Waiting is harder than preparing!</p>

<p>Iā€™d guess youā€™ll hear back in late-December to mid-January. My hunch is that the people who listen to the prescreens are currently putting the fall semester to bed and will plan to meet once finals etc are over or else in early January before the spring semester begins.</p>

<p>My S just had audition at Umass Amherst this past Saturday. He applied early action and should know how he did tomorrow. This is not at the top of his school lists.
I believe the audition experience was invaluable. He is so happy that his first audition was at a place he didnā€™t really care about. It will be nice to have some feedback shortly. We are waiting to see if he will be invited for auditions to Northwestern, UMiami and NEC.</p>

<p>StuyMom2 - we have much experience with Vassar College - just read my other posts! Vassar has one of the strongest music programs at an LAC in the northeast and since there are few distribution requirements, it is ā€˜easyā€™ to double major in music and another subject there. Other LACs in the northeast with strong music departments are Hamilton, Wesleyan, Bard, Swarthmore, Brandeis, Smith and Williams.
cluelessbass - It is a great idea to get that first audition over and have hopefully an acceptance in hand. It is a real confidence booster for upcoming auditions (it helped S1 a lot). However, they may just decide that they like a non-audition school better (as our S did) and all that was needed was to submit a recording. So be sure to apply to a mix of schools so they have some choices in April.
Congrats to Momzie for getting the five conservatory applications in!</p>

<p>chemusic - Good advice - S did apply to some non audition schools as well. One you mentioned - Brandeis. Others are Princeton, Dartmouth, Amherst, Williams, MIT, and Tufts (although hoping to do the Tufts/NEC duel degree)
Although all those (except maybe Brandeis and Tufts) are real stretch schools. Maybe we will add Vassar into the mix.
He should hear from Princeton on Monday. The rest will have to wait a few LONG months.</p>

<p>I hope you add Vassar to the mix - just listen to the videocasts on the Vassar music website. The orchesta concerts play to a full concert hall of students, faculty, the college president, parents and community people. I missed Tufts - their music building is gorgeous but I have not heard any groups recently. The travel time between NEC and Tufts would be difficult to manage - but may work if the schedules work. You have to want to do it for sure. Keep us postedā€¦</p>

<p>Holiday greetings. My d is a classical singer. We are in California, but her 15 apps are all east coast and include the ohio schools, the boston schools , Peabody and nyu. Right now she is in Merry Widow as a high soprano and in amahl and the night visitors as an altoā€¦so her voice fauch is yet to be determined. Sheā€™s been a musical theatre performer for many years but just a year and half ago took up classical music. She applied at so many schools because sheā€™s really nervous about her chances. If she were a soccer player this would be so easy!</p>