My mom failed out of this school, and now I'm applying. Chances?

<p>My mom failed out of UW-Madison back in 1980 and I’m worried that I’m going to pay for that. My guidance counselor said Madison will be a long shot for me, and I just seriously don’t know. Seeing how the average GPA is like 3.8 and average ACT is close to 30.</p>

<p>Input? Chances?</p>

<p>White Male from Minot, North Dakota
HS Class of 2010 (junior)
1st Generation College Student (both my parents failed out [still have jobs today], mother failed out of uw-madison, father failed out of Emory)
Highly Ranked Public High School (well, #3 in N. Dakota, that is, so that’s really not saying much)
GPA (unweighted): 3.898
GPA (weighted): 3.962
ACT: 35 (w/ 10 writing)
I never took the SAT, but I got 226 on the PSAT.
Class Rank: 5/174
Major: Undecided. </p>

<p>CLASSES (HP=Honors Placement)
FRESHMAN: Spanish 1, HP Earth Science, HP US History, HP English 9, HP Geometry, Band
SOPHOMORE: HP Spanish 2, AP Biology, APUSH, HP English 10, HP Algebra 2, AP Gov, Band
JUNIOR: HP Spanish 3, AP Chemistry, AP Euro, AP English, HP Pre-Calc, Band, Music Lab
SENIOR: AP Spanish, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP English, AP Calc AB, Band, AP Music Theory</p>

<p>AP Scores up to date:
APUSH: 4
AP Gov: 3
AP Biology: 1</p>

<p>EC’s:</p>

<li>Band.</li>
<li>Percussionist</li>
<li>4 years of High School Band.</li>
<li>1st Chair since sophomore year</li>
<li>Made the most Elite Audition band in my school 10th-12th grade</li>
<li>3 Music Letters, all from various Band Activities
<strong>Marching Band</strong>
-5 years, 8th-12th grade.</li>
<li>Section Leader for upcoming season</li>
<li>Co-Section Leader last year
<strong>Drum Line</strong></li>
<li>Co-Captaining the Drum-Line</li>
<li>5 years</li>
<li>Our group won 2 state titles
<strong>Pep-Band</strong></li>
<li>Section Leader junior year</li>
<li>Winter and Spring</li>
<li>Composed a “song” that we performed
<strong>Jazz Ensemble</strong></li>
<li>1st Chair Pianist/ doubled up on bass when needed</li>
<li>3 years</li>
<li>Performed in DC
<strong>Solo & Ensemble</strong></li>
<li>Played a Sax Solo sophomore year and received a superior rating</li>
<li><p>Fresh-Junior Year: Played with group and got excellent/superior ratings
<strong>Traveled to Spain last summer with the band to perform in Madrid</strong>
<strong>Accepted into the North Dakota all state High School Honor Band</strong></p></li>
<li><p>Track & Field (Indoor & Outdoor)</p></li>
<li><p>1 mile, 2 mile, 4X400 m. Relay</p></li>
<li><p>Captain Junior Year for Indoor</p></li>
<li><p>Freshman Year-Senior</p></li>
<li><p>National Honor Society</p></li>
<li><p>300 Community Service Hours to this point</p></li>
<li><p>Includes peer tutoring to disabled children in the elementary school</p></li>
<li><p>Habitat for Humanity, summer 2009. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing yet.</p></li>
<li><p>Part Time Job, Target. I Work in Food Avenue.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>so yeah. A % would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Long shot–not so much. I think you have a great 90% + shot. Don’t worry.</p>

<p>So are they even going to know that my mom flunked out? And if so, will it hurt me at all?</p>

<p>Heck no. She’s still considered an alum. Some of UW’s more famous alums never finished.</p>

<p>They’re not even going to know your Mom flunked out unless you tell them about it. Just say your parents never went to college. I would say your 98% in. I mean, if ACT 35 is in one sitting and with your high GPA, you are sitting pretty. I had a 3.58 and 1950 SAT and got in this year. Your stats are superior to mine and with good essay/teacher recs you should be in for sure. Good luck to you. Maybe look for merit or the honors program too. You seem qualified.</p>

<p>Your counselor is on freaking crack. You’re in.</p>

<p>I couldn’t have said it better myself Arachnotron. You could very well consider Madison your safety… You’ll probably get into more than one ivy!</p>

<p>lol, thanks guys.</p>

<p>It’s nice to know that my school has such top of the line guidance counselors, assuming you guys are correct about my chances.</p>

<p>I too think you will get in for sure, but just a warning, don’t take any serious science classes at Madison (the ones that majors take) if all you can manage on the AP Bio exam is a 1. You will get killed.</p>

<p>Your counselor is absolutely wrong - you will not be judged on your parent’s academic record. You will only be judged on your record which is great.
I personally know of a case where someone was accepted to a top school with a great scholarship that a parent had been KICKED out of! BTW that kicked out student went on to be a success and is considered an alumni by the school.</p>

<p>My mom flunked out in the 1940’s- she never studied. Never even thought about it affecting my chances- I got an Honors degree. Aside from the fact that people of my generation and older have records that aren’t on the current computer system (I saw in an alumni publication where getting a transcript can take longer because of where/how the information is stored for those records older than a certain date), they don’t care about your family’s record.</p>

<p>Your record counts. Never lie about anything, however- you can say she attended (adding the number of semesters if you wish) without saying anything else to let them know you have a UW connection- a reason to be interested in the school. Your record looks good- just remember to study wherever you go to college.</p>

<p>Uhhh, your stats blow mine out of the water and I thought I was a shoe in. I would say you are 99.999999999999999% in.</p>