My SAT Essay score

I got a 1320 on my Sat but i got a really low score on my essay, and I retook the SAT, I got a lower score but higher essay score, but UC’s only look at the higher score over all. So how important is SAT Essay score?

I think they do not weight the essay score that much because they understand that in 40 minutes you can’t write a brilliant essay. Just sound amazing in your PIQ’s.

Some UCs require you to take the SAT with essay, so the score might matter, but not a huge amount. If you want, you could retake the SAT one more time (not recommended more than three times). I think it depends on what score you got and what UCs you want to get into though. Look up those schools’ student profiles and see if your scores are within the 25-75% of admitted students.

yeah, I figured. And yeah, I got into all the UCs that I applied too. I was pretty lucky I would say, thanks for the info tho

@pathtocollege

Sorry, I thought you were a junior. And congrats!!! @llovefood2000

In general, I would not recommend re-taking the SAT to improve your essay score. I’ve read that the SAT essay score is not a critical deciding factor for UC admission. However, a red flag could occur if the level of writing on your application is significantly better than the SAT essay score, leading to the question of whether the applicant did their own work.