Myth of the Nursing Shortage

<p>There's a great article today in today's WSJ about the myth of the nursing shortage and the fact new grads can't find work.</p>

<p>The</a> Myth of the Nursing Shortage - Real Time Economics - WSJ</p>

<p>What have this year's nursing grads experiences been?</p>

<p>There are other discussions and articles on this same topic in this forum and the consensus is that it depends on where you are willing to work and being willing to accept a job to gain experience which might be entry level…versus the DREAM JOB of your life. Nursing is a licensed profession and eventually there will be work. We were told nursing is cyclacle in nature and like any other job in the US economy is subject to many variables. I think I would rather have a nursing degree which can be very flexible for work opportunities, than in a health care profession which is more narrowly focused. (Eg.
radiology technician or another title which is skill specific).</p>

<p>Re: Nursing Shortage</p>

<p>Here is an article that suggests otherwise.
[Campbell</a> to offer nursing program - Triangle Business Journal](<a href=“http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2013/04/25/campbell-to-offer-nursing-program.html]Campbell”>http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2013/04/25/campbell-to-offer-nursing-program.html)</p>

<p>It looks like nursing graduates may need to be more flexible when looking at job opportunities. We have D who will be graduating with a BSN next year. We are anticipating that her first job (probably a new grad residency program) may not be close to home. :(</p>

<p>1sokker- Actually, I think this is exactly what the article is talking about. There been a lot more “supply” added, like the Campbell program, but demand is not keeping pace. This is the same issue that’s plaqued the law field for years.</p>

<p>“Supply” is clearly a regional perception.</p>

<p>For example:
North Carolina (and other southern states) seem to have a shortage.
New England does not.</p>

<p>I still believe that many nurses are unemployed because they are not willing to re-locate.</p>

<p>I think if you have a BSN (or above) and are willing to relocate, there are still plenty of nursing positions available. RNs (without a BSN) without a lot of experience, and LPNs might have more difficulty.
[Is</a> Nursing Still an Attractive Career Choice? - Real Time Economics - WSJ](<a href=“Is Nursing Still an Attractive Career Choice? - WSJ”>Is Nursing Still an Attractive Career Choice? - WSJ)</p>

<p>I just saw an add for RNs for my local hospital in Pennsylvania where they were offering relocation cost compensation. They wouldn’t be doing that if they were flooded with local applicants.</p>

<p>There’s definitely still a shortage of mental health prescribers though, right? (Psychiatric nurse practitioners are still in demand…)</p>