National Achievement First Choice College

<p>Generally, do students list as the their first choice college:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>A college that is truly their first choice, even if the result would be only the 2500 (if that is received)</p></li>
<li><p>A school that gives substantial money to a NA Finalist who has applied and listed that college as first choice</p></li>
</ol>

<p>We want to leverage this well, but are finding that many of the schools that guarantee a lot of money to NA finalist are schools our child has never even considered; are far away and ones we will be unable to visit; and are schools that are not particularly well ranked. The later is the lease important. But with the first two, this child has NO idea if she really would consider the school (for instance, Alabama or 'Ol Miss) even if she got finalist and thus a full or partial ride.</p>

<p>For those that have been there and done this, how did you help your child approach this step of naming a first choice college and of, in general, utilizing the award to its fullest potential?</p>

<p>Many of the schools that give big packages also require that the applicant list that school as their first choice. However, you can always go back and change what you put as your first choice college. But for many “top” schools, being listed as a first choice has very little effect when it comes to admissions/scholarship money.</p>

<p>Personally, I listed my first choice school as the school I really want to attend (which doesn’t give any money to finalists). And my brother did the same thing 2 years ago when he was a finalist.</p>

<p>crc’s response is correct. I will rieterate -there is no effect listing “selective/top” schools as top choices, as they don’t have to sweeten the pot to lure students with great stats.</p>

<p>Your child can list any of his/her top choice and change later.</p>

<p>“Personally, I listed my first choice school as the school I really want to attend (which doesn’t give any money to finalists).” </p>

<p>Okay than this is what confuses me. Curious why you did not list a school that required that you list them as first choice and guaranteed money (i.e. Kentucky, Howard, Arizona, Alabama, etc.) since listing a school that gives no dollars to NM/NA or a top school that pays little attention to the designation really ‘gives back’ to you nothing?
Not being critical, just trying to understand. I am thinking that my child should list a school that, if push came to shove, they would go to on a full ride and their other choices did not work out (not accepted or not give the package financially needed to attend. Am I off base with this?</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>You can change your “first choice” until may 1st</p>

<p>I didn’t list a school that gives money to NA finalists because as of right now, I don’t wish to attend one. Since I am not seriously considering one of those schools, I saw no need to list one as my first-choice.</p>

<p>But I do see what you are saying. If your daughter is considering a school that does give money to NA finalists, but with the stipulation that it has to be listed as her first choice school, then I see no reason not to list it. Doing so can only help.</p>

<p>My parents want me to put, as first choice, a school that will give me substantial money if I make finalist and list them as first choice.
If none of the school are really want to go to work out, then I will list one of the free ride schools. At that point, I figure better to go for free to a school I am ‘okay with’ than pay to go to a school I am ‘okay with’.</p>

<p>The problem?..I can’t find any schools I am’ okay with’ that offer full or substantial rides to NA Finalist. FRUSTRATING!</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>We went our Ds number 1 choice which doesn’t give a lot of $$ for Finalist status.</p>

<p>I think it was just one thing that showed her commitment and passion for that school and she got in so not upset about that decision.</p>

<p>My daughter chose Tufts, which is one of her top 3. None of the schools she is applying to offer merit money.</p>

<p>we wnet with S’s #1 which also gives nice scholarship.</p>