Naviance accuracy

@Thelma2 and anyone else with insight, I was hoping to get feedback on Naviance, from those of you who have schools that use it. How accurate do you think the scattergrams are of how your student compares to other students at their school in terms of getting accepted.

Our school’s (huge Texas 6a school in an academically ranked district) shows very few people getting denied (only 3 out of the “safe zone” of an unweighted GPA of 3.6 (which I would estimate would probably be top 25-30%, since I know a 3.3 is 40%) and SAT of 1360 or ACT of 30). Pretty much all of the other denied have SATs below 1250 ( with a cluster under in the 1170-1200 range) and ACTs of 24 or below.

Basically - with ACTs, showing at least 50 students, There are no denied with scores of 28 or above, and only one denial with a 26 or above.

I have no knowledge with Naviance. However, based on last year, there were several that posted on here with ACTs with ACTs pretty high (26 - 28)that were denied or given blinn team (by denied I also mean PSA). AND there were some with lower ACTs that were accepted. Definitely have to look at overall picture. Most outside the top quarter are not given full admittance. Mind you, I said most. AND all of this depends on how competitive the class of 2023 is.

It totally depends on your school because it is up to them to decide how they are going to collect, verify, and input data. Often, if the school has a strong college counseling department and uses this as one of its own research tools, it’ll be handled very professionally and accurately, with each CC putting in info in exactly the same way . At other schools, they may rely on students for data and not bother with those who don’t report and the info will be incomplete and/or inaccurate.

While it’s generally a small fraction overall, kids who are accepted off a waitlist over the summer are likely to not have those last minute changes recorded – in fact, the school may not even know about it. I think it’s a good idea if you meet with the GC/CC to ask how info is collected for Naviance at your school so you know what you are looking at.

Thanks @gardenstategal . I figured it was only as good as the data put in. I didn’t know that the school has a role in putting the data in (I figured it was from Apply Texas or something). Our district has 70,000+ students with 8 6A high schools, and you request transcripts and letters of recommendation through naviance, so I would HOPE that they have reporting standards in place.

I found naviance with college data sets to both be pretty accurate or at least give some good direction.