Need advice on college choice, $$, etc.

Has the OP left the building?

Since OP apparently is gone, and left without saying that my scenario is right or wrong (post #96), I’m going to take the liberty to state it as true. I propose a thought experiment.

So, given that OP told his student that money wasn’t a consideration, that OP approved a list of schools where 11 of 14 were expensive and unacceptable without significant aid, that OP didn’t express reservations before the application list was settled on, that OP didn’t suggest additional RD applications to a different type of school after SCEA acceptance to Princeton, that OP apparently STILL hasn’t indicated to student that there’s a problem with Princeton, etc.

Here’s the thought experiment: let’s say that OP wanted to make the maximum number of bad decisions and non-decisions possible and diabolically screw up his kid’s opportunities, what would he have done differently?

Before anyone tells me that OP wanted advice not censure; I have advice: suck it up and delay retirement if necessary, but you’ve completely hosed your child’s chances at an appropriate school. Live and learn. Own it.

Without any indication the OP is coming back, it seems like time to close this.