NESCAC Schools

So they did not also list it under academic honors, just activities?

1 Like

IMO it’s ok to have it in both places (assuming there’s room).

1 Like

Ok, one more question on ACT scores. D has asked the coach a couple of different times since June whether to submit her ACT super score. Coach submitted the super score (super score ONLY, not composite score) for her pre-read. D asked coach several weeks ago whether she should definitely submit the super score when applying. Coach said yes, because they’d already seen it when she passed the pre-read. D and I were going through the common app to finalize everything and it asks for the ACT composite only; not super score. You are able to enter your highest section score and date for each subject, but in terms of one overall score, you only enter the composite. D’s composite is 2 points lower (and definitely lower than the school’s ACT range) than her super score and she’s never reported her composite score to coach; only the super score (making sure to indicate SUPER SCORE). Is the lower composite an issue? I’m assuming many kids must be in this boat? Do colleges assume a lower composite and just compute the super score?

If the school super scores they will calculate that using the highest section scores your D self-reports in the common app.

1 Like

At our school, NHS was open to kids with above a 3.5 gpa. The top possible gpa, however, was a 5.0. Consequently, NHS consisted of a lot of kids in the middle of the class. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I am glad so many kids could partake, but it is not a badge of honor akin to Phi Beta Kappa in college.

It could be included in whatever category your daughter has less listed. If four awards and no activities, put in activities. If no awards, but lots of activities, put it in awards.

1 Like

Yes, the school super scores and yes, we’re assuming they will calculate it using the highest section scores D is reporting, I just don’t “love” them seeing the composite score as the only overall score listed when to this point, they’ve only seen the super score. Does it matter? Do colleges expect the composite score will be a couple of points lower?

yes - that is why that allow super score. i would have zero concerns about this policy.

2 Likes

I don’t think it matters, and because the coach and AO said to apply with the her test score your D has no choice.

Whether self reporting or sending the official report, AOs will see the lower composites. They aren’t going to change their opinion of your D based on a lower composite score.

1 Like

Also didn’t your D send her official ACT scores already? My D sent her ACT score (she only took it once) right after she committed so it was for sure there way before the ED deadline. When she sends her official scores so the school can super score the AO will already see everything.

She only had to self report her super score and each highest section score- edited to add, for the PRE-READ, she only had to self report her super score and highest section score. She did NOT self-report her best composite, however, she has to do that on the common app, so until this point, admissions and her coach have not seen her composite score.

1 Like

To clarify, I was talking about for the actual application to send all of the official scores that make up your D’s super score. Most schools want to see the official scores and don’t rely on only self report. We sent the official score way ahead of the ED deadline.
My point was that you should send the official scores anyway and so that’s what they will look at from all of the tests your D is submitting
then they can calculate the super score themselves if your school does that.

Some schools want official scores, some rely on self reports. It just depends. My D’s school just takes self report, so they haven’t seen official score report; they’ve only seen her super score and individual highest section scores she sent for the pre-read.

1 Like

I’m not sure this is true, do you have a source? Many schools do require matriculants to ultimately send their official score (if the applicant applied with tests).

1 Like

Totally agreeing with you that most schools DO require matriculants to ultimately send their official score. On a survey of highly selective schools, including the NESCAC my D is committed to, they all request official scores
 At our school we are in direct communication with the reginonally assigned AO who is reviewing her application.

Every NESCAC school allows self reporting of scores on the common app. Having to pay to send official scores is a barrier to applying, which is why many schools have dropped that requirement.

Perhaps you are saying something different, that coaches specifically asked your student for official scores (which is their prerogative)? And something most coaches do not require.

Yes that’s correct and also for being in merit award contention. But I recognize that merit is limited at several NESCAC schools and perhaps being in consideration for merit doesn’t apply to Crosbylane’s D. With several kiddos through this process, and at the insistence of the college counselors at our kids’ high school, we tend to err on the side of full transparency and send the official scores.

i’m committed to a D1 school, but similar to nesac in that it’s a high academic school that doesn’t do likely letters or anything like that. they have a program that guarantees admission to certain athletes as long as they apply ED, and I have in writing from the coach that as long as I apply ED I am guaranteed admissions. When I went for my official all the coaches were telling me things like see you on campus next year. with that in mind, how much does my common app essay matter? I feel like it displays me, I like the essay, but admittedly, it’s not the best writing I’ve ever done. I’ve only had my brother look at it, as I don’t want to bother showing my teachers an essay that doesn’t really matter that much and wasting their time, but I’m worried about the admissions office thinking it’s not good enough compared to other essays they’re reading.

IMO, you need to write the best essay you can write. Just doing the minimum does not reflect well on you or on the coach that recruited you. Even if you have guaranteed admission - you should act like you don’t.

You are lucky and don’t have to write a large number of essays since you have 1 school application - acting like it doesn’t really matter is not a good look for you - you have a letter from the coach - not a letter from admissions since your school doesn’t provide likely letters - show admissions that you should be there.

2 Likes

im not saying I purposely didn’t put effort into it or anything like that. i’m definitely treating the application like and I don’t have guaranteed and admission and almost everyone I know is making fun of me for stressing out lol. It’s a full 650 words that I have put a lot of time into and thought a lot about. I’m more nervous that I haven’t had a teacher read it, but I don’t want to waste their time with it if people think that wouldn’t be helpful

I thought you were supposed to get teacher input into college essays. How is that a waste of their time if it is a part of their jobs?

As an aside, IMO, seeking the advice and counsel of mentors - such as asking for a teacher to read an essay - is something that happens quite often in the business world. Get in the habit of doing it, as well as paying it forward by giving others advice and counsel.

3 Likes