NESCAC Schools

It’s very unlikely those programs won’t have filled their tips/slots 100% with Early Decision commitments. And it’s very unlikely they’ll have additional coach support available in the Regular Devision round. But only they will know for sure.

Are they just agreeing to meet or have they stated they are putting your D24 on their pre-read list?

1 Like

They didn’t agree to anything, but D24 wants to visit the campus and meet to assess if there is room for tip/walk-on spot for ED or RD. The tour makes sense since her younger sibling is also interested in the school.

3 Likes

I’m confused. You said earlier that she is “scheduled to meet couple coaches at schools” and the coaches “remain keen to meet with her”?

1 Like

I don’t think that is true. Several D3s will recruit through ED 2 and even RD.

In my experience many coaches will meet with a prospective applicant if they reach out letting then know they will be on campus for an admissions tour. At a D3 school, they are very much representing the school as a whole.

Many of these teams are very large - Tufts is pushing 80 swimmers I think (a downside IMO) They still want quality student athletes to join the team, even if they don’t make the support cut.

2 Likes

I don’t know the swimming world. For D3 soccer, even programs much further down the rankings than Tufts (#4) and CMS (#10) in swimming filled their slots with ED1 commits. And the weaker programs are still trying to get all ED1 commits.

The stronger programs might occasionally go after a very strong recruit in the ED2 or RD rounds who somehow didn’t get in to their ED1 school. The weaker programs are forced to go into the ED2/RD rounds.

1 Like

@NiVo, this is a fine strategy. It helps for a coach to know that you are serious enough about the program to make a visit. You also should consider a stop by the admissions office to sign in (even if the office is closed), as school visits evince applicant interest. One D3 admissions office told me that they record every communication from applicants (including phone calls).

I would caution you, however, that the recruiting process at NESCAC schools will be different (and perhaps very different) from CMC.

3 Likes

I have been wondering if that is the case and how widespread it is. I wonder if someone who went through the process, did not get support, but applied anyway would “score high” in demonstrated need.

Can you share the school?

ETA - I heard an AO at Pomona on a podcast mention how they fill out a form for admissions for any potential walk-ons applying.

1 Like

@goingthruaphase absolutely, she’s planning to do as full a tour as possible, including meeting with the coach, attending the campus tour, and meet athletes where it’s possible. She’s keen on having as much information at possible to help her decide how to conduct her application process. in case no match school wants to recruit her, she would want to know who would offer either tip or walk-on upon admission. All these data points will help her direct her (R)EA/ED1/ED2/RD application process

1 Like

Applicant interest is used by some schools as a way to protect yield. The theory is that if you have visited or otherwise shown interest, the applicant is more likely to attend than one who never set foot on campus. The school that told me they recorded all Admissions Office communications was Macalester. Interest is a category contained in the Common Data Set, and plenty of websites republish that information, so it is pretty easy to find out which schools consider it. I should note that I checked and Macalester’s Common Data Set says that it does not consider interest. Go figure.

Athletic recruiting at Pomona is very different from the NESCAC. My sense was that coaches need to over recruit because they don’t have much pull for more than maybe two recruits, and those recruits need to be really high academic achievers.

3 Likes

seems that what you’re saying about Pomona is that their coach tends to give fewer spots, and more tips which ultimately gives the admissions department the most flexibility in making a final decision

1 Like

We recently heard of a very strong student getting WL at a “don’t track school.” When the CC reached out, the school said “they never visited.”

2 Likes

It’s a good time for a friendly reminder that schools’ institutional reporting departments complete the CDSs (not admissions), so CDSs may not always be accurate and/or currently reflect how admissions evaluates applications. This is true of the CDS GPA calc which I’ve often mentioned, as well as the box of important factors in section C. Best to ask the AO, it’s a good reason for a student to reach out.

4 Likes

That was the sense we got from the Pomona coach. He told our son that he had 1 of 2 spots that he could offer. Didn’t inquire further about “tips” or other levels of support as it was not relevant.

1 Like

I don’t think you are using the terminology correctly. A “tip” is also considered explicit coach support in the admissions process. And for schools that have slots and tips (or use some other terminology), the recruit wouldn’t necessarily know which was used on them, just that they had full coach support.

For Pomona, it sounds like they only have around two slots/tips, and they have to convince recruits to apply without coach support, and build their team from those who get accepted on their own.

2 Likes

The swim poster has their own topic (Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges - #1140 by psmith1), and now has taken over this thread as well. Can we limit it that discussion to the other thread?

7 Likes

Speed! Forwards are (typically) fast and look good in the limited time that coaches have to see them play.

1 Like

And selfishness with the ball! (Not necessarily in a bad way)

Very true. But sophisticated coaches evaluate with a more nuanced understanding of the game. The fastest kids on the team are often the outside mids who fly up and down the sidelines. My D was the fastest kid on every team on which she played (state class sprinter) and her natural positions were outside back, holding mid or attacking mid. She had a booming shot with the right and the left and was better coming up on to the ball than creating herself off the dribble. She was a great passer and was a threat herself from either mid-field position. I think those things are more easily seen in real games playing with your own team rather than at ID clinics.

To your point, her college coach, who wasn’t as good as her club coaches (and lacked their pedigree) wanted to make her a forward, and that’s not who she was. She wasted a few seasons with that approach and frustrated everybody.

Baseball - does anyone have insight to the NESCAC baseball recruiting timeline? Are prereads done and if so, when are they generally requested / returned? Or are all sports on the same August 1 timeline. Thanks!

1 Like

All sports in NESCAC are on the same timeline. However, that doesn’t mean that some coaches are following that timeline. AOs might also be backed up with the pre-reads due to sheer volume, and/or vacations. These are questions to ask the coach.

3 Likes