NESCAC Schools

NESCACs definitely have preread results back to some 2024 athletes. My daughter has gotten offers. I can’t speak to how each AO orders the prereads (they have hundreds to do at least), so of course not all athletes have been reviewed by the Aug 1 date. I got the impression that part of it was how early the materials were submitted, what priority the coach indicated, and that they trickle out several a day rather than in larger weekly bunches.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely, offers have gone out. As for the reading priority/order, and when decisions are released, that does vary by the college (meaning it’s up to each NESCAC school how to handle that rather than conference proscribed, like the dates). As always, activities are front end loaded, yet recruiting will continue for some coaches, even into ED2 and/or RD.

4 Likes

I follow women’s lacrosse and there have been a ton of commitments announced in the past week and a half to NESCAC schools.

3 Likes

Yep. I sure hope the coaches approved those public announcements.

2 Likes

Seems to be becoming more common. The D3 high academic school where my '24 just committed had commitment posts on Instagram from every commit in her class. The offers didn’t come until after the pre-read results, so that may have given everyone confidence to post.

2 Likes

I get that. But bad things happen. Unless the coach approves it, I encourage students to not post or take down the post if they already did (talking NESCAC and other highly rejective D3s here). And if they don’t want to ask the coach…well, there’s the answer.

7 Likes

Lacrosse players have been announcing as sophomores and now only after Sept 1 of junior year for a long time. Yes, even at Ivies, even at NESCACs, even at top programs like Maryland and BC.

The coaches make the offers early because they want to lock up the players. The players like to accept early to have things decided.

2 Likes

Just wondering.
For schools like the Ivy’s, or the NESCAC, has anyone ever tracked the # of players that announce early and how that compares with the # of LLs or slots the coaches have for a given sport?
And how many kids do end up going to the school that they accepted early to to have things decided? Or how many that had things decided go to a different school?
Note: also, is it more men of women LAX players that accept early as sophomores? For men that is a lot that can still change and develop for speed, size, etc.

When dd committed to a NESCAC a few years ago, she cleared it with the coach and was able to post that she, “Committed to the admissions process” at her school.

7 Likes

For swimming you see announcements throughout Jr year and based on numbers very few don’t.

I don’t think lax offers can be made until September of Jr year (summer at least) but the girls announcements for top programs come right away.

Boys definitely change a lot but that never stopped offers from coming early on. I believe Lax was one of the drivers for the change in the NCAA recruiting timeline.

1 Like

The NESCAC pre-read result/first offer date is the same across the NESCAC, regardless of school/sport. So highly unlikely anyone, even the top recruits for a school/program, would be announcing before July 1 (August 1 this year) before senior year.
When my daughter committed last year to a NESCAC, she asked the coach when she accepted if she could post to social media and the coach said absolutely, just needed to say “…committed to the application process”- if the coach had said no, then she wouldn’t have announced, but it probably would have made us question if admissions was true to their word (coach assured us they were).

2 Likes

I followed the recruiting on Lax Power from about 2011-2018 (the years my niece, nephew, daughter and their teammates were applying to colleges). In the earlier years, there were no restrictions on committing early and sometimes even 9th graders would commit but around 2016 -17 the coaches’ committees decided on the Sept 1 of junior year date for coach’s contact with players (of course there is still contact before that date).

Lax Power list would be first published in January of sophomore year for that grad year and on day One there’d be about 300 commits for girls and boys. They’d number each recruit and they were listed alphabetically by schools, so you could always figure out who was in the ‘pre-release date commits’ group as they’d have the lowest numbers. Brown, Army, Albany would have kids numbered 4-7 or 11-15. As the year went on more would be added and by senior year, there would be 3000 on the lists. The players (or parents) could add to the list, but so could the hs or club coaches or the colleges themselves. You could tell when the colleges/coaches added because the players from all over the country would have consecutive numbers.

Was there some switching? Sure. My very limited observation is that more boys switched than girls. I know a boy who was on the list on Day One who committed to Princeton as a sophomore, but ended up at Army. His twin was a sophomore commit to BC and went there.

I believe that athletes are targeting the schools they match academically as well as athletically, so the coaches have no trouble getting them admitted to the schools. The coaches also limit recruiting to those they know are academically qualified for the school. My friend who went to High Point wasn’t an academic match for Yale or Maryland or Duke even though he was one of the best high school athletes in the country and those coaches would have loved to have him on their teams. His younger brother is in the same position this year and where he goes to college will be limited by his academics. He won’t be going to Yale.

I don’t think there is any official tracking as all of these early commits are verbal and many never announce their commitments…or decommitments.

1 Like