NESCAC Spoken Here: 2023 version

Thank you. I will delete.

In case there’s any question whether NESCAC/slac grads can make it on Wall St 

2 Likes

The final line
 “Even if you know that you’re going to be an investment banker after graduation, like I remember Waldron being,” mused one member of the class of 1991 who is now also an investment banker, '[Middlebury] is a place you go to spend four years pretending that you’re going to do something else, and that’s a very good thing.”

discuss!

This seems to be a confusing description for a COO. It appears more suited to that for a CEO.

1 Like

I never though I would read the term “Middlebury Mafia”

Of the kids we knew about at my D’s NESCAC, Wes, those who ended up on Wall Street didn’t seem like they were trying to hide it. I asked her about it tonight when I read this and she agreed. The Wall Street bros and bras were somewhat identifiable and unapologetic at Wes.

That might be more true of the consulting crowd.

My sense is that at Middlebury, the bros and bras are the dominant culture, so there’s no reason for them to brandish it; and perhaps there’s more room for individuation. At Wes, there’s a more or less friendly competition between the helmet sport/Econ/Wall Street/Consulting kids and the showrunner/Theater/Film/ kids. Fun Fact: Even Bill Belichick started out as an Econ major.

2 Likes

This student is right. We probably don’t discuss enough about Conn:
A Student’s Perspective on Connecticut College - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Connecticut College - College Confidential Forums

3 Likes

Even better, the dreaded Williams art mafia. “Leave the Caravaggio, take the gun.”

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say the bros and bras are the dominant culture at Middlebury.

1 Like

I’ll kick it off

• Middlebury: a “finishing school” for future investment bankers!

• Middlebury: cosplay in the liberal art for four years!

Bonus points for anyone working Matt Taibbi’s famous phrase about Goldman Sachs into the proceedings: “The world’s most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.”

And I’ll end it. This thread, and this site, is not the place to review tropes that are negative stereotypes.

4 Likes

I was thinking something more along the lines of:

Middlebury*: where you can spend four years exploring the liberals arts, taking classes in comparative literature, international politics, and Russian history and still end up helming one of the world’s most prestigious banks. A place where a well-rounded education prepares you for whatever’s to come.

*Replace Middlebury with any other NESCAC school

6 Likes

That’s definitely the positive spin!

The phase “pretending that you’re going to do something else” stuck with me as giving away the game though. Seems like business as usual for the IB feeder schools—the already well-connected know they are set up later. At least they will have read some interesting books to perhaps liven up discussions at cocktail parties at Davos?

1 Like

At Midd, economics majors make up some 12%-15% of the student population and other graduates. the way that people are writing, you’d think that it was Wharton or something.

Middlebury, proportionally, has the same number of Econ majors as Williams.

Your sense would be wrong. The only “dominant” cultures are being outdoorsy and a very progressive political outlook. Even the vaunted preppiness of Middlebury has taken a downturn. Granola rules supreme, even among the wealthy - most of the cars in the student parking lots are Subarus, not BMWs, so even the wealthiest students are being crunchy.

I see what you’re saying.

If anyone is looking at the 3 Maine schools, Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, I noticed recently that they are promoting cross-registration more this year. Bates and Bowdoin are about 20 miles apart, and Colby is a bit further, but many students have cars so this seems like a nice option. See https://www.bowdoin.edu/registrar/pdf/cbb-cross-registration.pdf

4 Likes

Ca-runchh!

Middlebury College wins NESCAC football title - Addison Independent

3 Likes

1 Like

What about Trinity?

5 Likes