NESCAC Spoken Here: 2023 version

They both had the same record, but Midd was the only team to beat Trinity, so I think they deserve the crown.

3 Likes

Tough year for Bates - 0-9!

You need a new football coach @Lindagaf !!!

2 Likes

The mascots fought it out, and the panther defeated the bantam by split decision.

2 Likes

Sometimes a new uniform will help lift a teamā€™s spirits and fortunes.

So ā€“ if Middlebury can copy the Michigan helmet, I see nothing wrong with Bates copying the Clemson helmet (cat paw logoā€¦)ā€¦ in maroon and white. That could look really sharp.

1 Like

Of all the NESCAC football teams, Middleburyā€™s helmets have been the most consistent over the years.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/nescac.htm

2 Likes

Itā€™s my favorite design in all of footballdom.

Three grandparents went to U of Wisconsin, as well as both of my parents. So when my dad and his dad took me to the Michigan game when I was about four years old, they and surrounding Badger fans were shocked and a bit miffed (especially the drunk onesā€¦) when I cheered for Michigan. The reason? I loved their helmets. lol

This is pretty fun, too. Remember that time Middlebury played Penn State, just before Penn State played their first Rose Bowl?

2 Likes

That reminds me of Wesleyan University 's unbroken winning streak against the University of Michigan:
Wesleyan University Football History vs University of Michigan

I wasnā€™t around, but if their school colors were inelastic, it might have been hard to tell them apart. Like when my Badgers play Nebraska ā€“ i have to look at the helmets.

But Penn State (to novitiates, NOT the University of Pennsylvania. Preaching to the choir, but just in caseā€¦) in its very early days of Rugby plus tackling the head (which rugby does not allow ā€“ right players think theyā€™re so tough, but when you smack them in the head they cry. So, cry. Our football is a collision sport, and yeah, we take each otherā€™s heads off figuratively. If you canā€™t handle that, kiwis and springboks and wallabys and england roses et al, well, keep thinking youā€™re tough. lol. Iā€™ll punch you in the face and youā€™ll cry, ā€œsin bin!ā€ Pushies.) ā€“ well that was a departure, but I continue: waaaaaay back in the day, probably before JoePa was born, Penn stateā€™s colors were BLACK and PINk.

so yeah, if PSU (not Ben Franklinā€™s Quakersā€¦ the Nits) had played Midd a hundred years agoā€¦ they would have been easily known.

Iā€™m pretty drunk, but iā€™m at home and iā€™m safe. not going anywhere. Usually when i post i am sober as a judge, at work. Anyway, i love you all. Happy thanksgiving. be well and happy.

2 Likes

Much as i love Wes, nobody we know was alive when that footballic travesty pasĆ³.

We luv u2, prezbucky.:blush: Happy Thanksgiving!

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving @prezbucky . Youā€™re one of the very best here.

And the same to all the rest of you.

PS: my wife LOVES not only Michiganā€™s helmets, but their entire uniform as well.

Iā€™ll take my helmets gold with a block purple W on the side, thank you very much!

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t help but going down Memory Lane and came across a thread you started in 2012 containing this howler from a Princeton alum:

1 Like

Hahahaha! Enjoy rereading your post in the daylight. I recommend a side of ibuprofen with your breakfast.

Meanwhile, back in the NESCACā€¦

@cquin85 Bates seems to have a less than stellar football record most years. Iā€™m not sure why they bother, tbh. But I remember once hearing itā€™s to keep the alumni happy. If so, they are perhaps not accomplishing that goal.:laughing:

A Trinity Student Was Among the Wounded:
Burlington, Vermont, shooting live updates: Three Palestinian college students shot on their way to dinner (nbcnews.com)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If youā€™d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.