New Big Ten Logo & Division Names

<p>Big</a> Ten unveils new logo, names football divisions 'Legends' and 'Leaders' - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com</p>

<p>must say, not a fan of either…logo looks kinda dumb and i thought it would have a 12 in there
as for legends and leaders? way too cheesy.</p>

<p>Hope they did both inhouse.</p>

<p>Oh yuk, those are terrible division names. Love the Grange-Griffin trophy but really, naming an award after an ACTIVE big ten coach, legend or not, I can’t say I am a fan of that.</p>

<p>They should’ve named the divisions Bo and Woody. At least that way everyone would know which one was which.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s not without precedent: [Gagliardi</a> Trophy](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagliardi_Trophy]Gagliardi”>Gagliardi Trophy - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>I’m still not in favor of including Penn State in the league- then to include the newcomer’s coach in a trophy… The state of Pennsylvania may border Ohio but tit has a huge east coast population, not midwest at all. Nebraska makes more sense geographically but the Midwest has so many good football flagships they can’t all be accomodated- and it destroys former rivalries. I haven’t heard at all where being part of the Big Ten means anything to people of that state (or even the student body). Idiotic division names as well. Oh well, it’s only sports.</p>

<p>Wow, that new logo is really bad. :eek:</p>

<p>I don’t like the logo, but what bothers me the most are the division names. They have been universally criticized; hopefully Delaney is listening.</p>

<p>Well, Penn State does mean we get the Big Ten network in New Jersey, which is what keeps my husband sane. There really is not a lot of big time football here (Big East??), so Penn State gives a lot of visibility to the Big Ten and I can imagine helps with recruiting. And, people I know at Penn State love the Big Ten rivalry and competition, and also the academic colleagues and reputation of the Big Ten.</p>

<p>But- do the original Big Ten schools like adding schools? It’s great for Penn State- but what are the advantages to UW?</p>

<p>Using Lake Michigan and the Illinois eastern state line as the logical geographic dividing line, the Big Ten East Division and the Big Ten West Division would have made a lot more sense and much easier to remember which schools are in which division:</p>

<p>Big Ten East Division:
Penn State (Leaders)
Ohio State (Leaders)
Michigan State (Legends)
Michigan (Legends)
Purdue (Leaders)
Indiana (Leaders)</p>

<p>Big Ten West Division:
Nebraska (Legends)
Iowa (Legends)
Minnesota (Legends)
Wisconsin (Leaders)
Northwestern (Legends)
Illinois (Leaders)</p>

<p>The Big Ten rivalry games of Illinois-Northwestern, Indiana-Michigan State, Ohio State-Michigan, and Wisconsin-Minnesota would remain inter-division games. Only 2 guaranteed cross-division games would be needed to preserve the rivalry games of Penn State-Nebraska and Purdue-Iowa.</p>

<p>The new Leaders-Legends division splits require 6 guaranteed cross-division games to keep these Big Ten rivalry games alive.</p>

<p>And the new Big Ten logo sucks - looks like someone spent about 5 minutes to dream it up.</p>

<p>@bigtendad
agreed, thats how it should have been. as a diehard wolverine, i will hate to see michigan and osu clinch their respective divisions and have them play twice in a row- with the first game being somewhat meaningless. they definitely should have been in the same division.</p>

<p>and as for bo and woody, i like it, but they clearly didnt do it because it basically says that the big ten is the michigan and ohio state conference (aka big 2, little 10)</p>

<p>With PSU UW gets to play games close to the east coast recruiting base for both students and athletes every year. Like it or not UW has a big east coast presence and THAT is where people and money are so any chance to increase quality of students and the overall stature and job prospects for UW grads will mean maintaining and enhancing that east coast connection. UW leaders saw this many years ago when they started recruiting students from top high schools in the east in order to enhance the UW’s academics. This is highlighted by the close connection between UW and Jewish families in the east as in the old days (through the 50’s and into the 60’s!) some top east coast schools had limits on numbers of Jews they would accept.
Placing UW in the Leaders Division will be a great break for UW in maintaining recruiting in the talent rich east. Our coaches and AD have said the same thing.</p>

<p>PS-With the new somewhat insane administration running the state, the UW will depend more than ever on OOS students and $$$$$. There will likely be a tight lid (4%) on instate tuition increases but they usually can do as they wish with out of staters.</p>

<p>The new state leadership scares the crap out of me.</p>

<p>Careful Barrons. As an OOS father, I can say that they can not “do as they wish” with out of staters.</p>

<p>There are always lines that should not be crossed.</p>

<p>Of course there are economic limits as to what they can charge but they are not imposed by the state. So legally according to the state they can do as they wish when it comes to tuition and admissions decisions.</p>

<p>There are practical considerations- the economics of things. Striking a balance between generating income and making it feasible for good but not uber rich students from OOS. Yes, OOS students do subsidize the instate students, but asking for too much would scare off many- those who decide the price tag isn’t worth the experience. OOS people- I wouldn’t worry about huge increases over the course of a 4-5 year time frame (go back 10, 20… years and the costs are much higher).</p>

<p>btw- contrary to a belief, Wisconsin doesn’t really care about enticing northeast residents with having a conference member nearby. The most academically desirable students won’t necessarily care about sports (yes, not all UW styudents care about the football, basketball, hockey…teams). It is egocentric for those from NY, NJ… to think they are that important compared to other parts of the country.</p>

<p>The point is the northeast has more smart people with enough money to go to an OOS school and more inclination to do so. Sports recruiting is another tangent but the same thing applies–there are more athletes due to more population and they are more inclined to go OOS too as there are few big-time schools nearby and many non-athlete friends go to OOS schools so they feel comfortable with the notion. Far fewer academic kids in the south and southeast have that inclination for a number of reasons from weather to tradition. Same for the Northwest. Cali is becoming an exporter of students due to the combination of population and income and local limits in colleges.
It’s not ego-centric-it is demographics. The east coast (DC-Mass) has more bright kids from families of means. Just a fact. If you want to sell colleges you go where the customers are. I am not saying they come to UW for the sports but sports are high profile and during the TV games there are always mentions of the great academics blah blah blah. It’s a great way to advertise even to casual viewers or their parents-fans who might never have heard of UW in any other way.</p>