news from camp hamp

<p>hampcurious, how tough is it to get into the advanced filmmaking courses?</p>

<p>Do many students from the other schools (Smith, Amherst, etc) take these courses?</p>

<p>Hampcurious, where are you getting your info about finaid? For years, Hamp offered less generous finaid packages than the other neighboring LACs (Amherst, Smith, MoHo), due no doubt to its lack of a multi-million endowment. Has that really changed?</p>

<p>Also, are Hamp students stranded on campus w/o a car? N'hampton is nearby, but getting there requires wheels.</p>

<p>Finally, D1 has visited Hamp on an number of occasions and has reported that it looks a bit "run down." Is this accurate or is D1 exagerating? (We couldn't coax D2 out of the car at a school whose campus she descirbed as "seedy." Both girls are suckers for curb appeal.)</p>

<p>hey hampcurious - what is there to do on or around campus? anything major that sticks out right away?</p>

<p>oh, and on a slightly random note, is anyone here planning on going to the campus visit day next monday? and are parents welcome at these sort of things, seeing as my mom will be driving me up there?</p>

<p>How important are extracurriculars to Hampshire? I ask because I've been pretty lousy with them and I'd hate to miss out on Hampshire because I was too lazy to stay after school.</p>

<p>Foolishpleasure, there's a free bus system that connects the five colleges. They run every 20 minutes or so during the day. Northampton is just one fairly short and scenic bus ride away. The buses also pass through the mall, cineplex, WalMart, etc. Your daughter should be fine without a car. </p>

<p>LivingParadox, as for things to do, there are too many to list. What are your interests? If you like the outdoors e.g. kayaking, hiking, skiing, mountain biking, etc. then the OPRA program won't disappoint. You will never run out of outdoor activities to do in the area.</p>

<p>I grew up in major cities and eating out is one of my favorite things to do. In this regard, Northampton alone has plenty to offer. When I was there just a few years ago, NoHO had/has? a Tibetan restaurant, crepe restaurants, vegetarian, Moroccan, Indian, TexMex, Japanese, etc. The only cuisine I missed was Korean, though there is one Korean place, but it's not on the main strip. </p>

<p>Btw, all of you should check out Herrell's for ice cream. It's to die for.</p>

<p>Northampton has great movie theaters showing foreign flicks. There are also impressive art galleries. </p>

<p>I have to agree that the buildings are run down. When I first visited Hampshire, it looked so morbid I thought the library was undergoing a renovation. Speaking of renovations, there are plans to update the student residential areas. I would speak with someone from physical plant or perhaps the president's office or vice president's office to get the latest report.</p>

<p>I am not aware of how Hampshire compares, with regard to financial aid, to the other 5 colleges. What I have heard from current Hampshire students is that compared to the other schools to which they applied, Hampshire was the most generous. There is a big push right now to fundraise to improve the physical plant, which needs it, but I have heard that money in the last decade, or so, has been put towards attracting the strongest students possible through financial aid.</p>

<p>As was said above, there is a free bus that connects the colleges and goes to nearby towns. A car at Hampshire is not necessary. I will say though, that once you live in a mod, it becomes quite handy, in terms of buying food, to have access to one. There are many people on campus with cars and it is never a problem getting rides, in to Amherst, to the train or bus station, to grocery stores, Northampton, etc. </p>

<p>There are always things going on on campus, lectures, movies, parties, etc. Both Amherst and Northampton are full of restaurants (the range rivals that of a big city) and there are movie theaters and music venues. There are over 20 thousand college students in the area, so businesses cater to whatever they might want. My first year I felt lonely and bored sometimes and I blamed it on the size of both the school and the surrounding towns, but now that I have good friends I realize there is always something to do, and my feelings were more based on not having anyone to do them with.</p>

<p>The campus is a bit rundown. They are working on it. There is some sense of pride, among Hampsters, in the "bootleg" look. It was all built in the '70's and so to some people it looks awful, to others kind of industrial and edgy. Frankly, that stuff becomes less and less important as you become more involved with the people and with your work. It is not a luxurious place, there is not a big endowment, what you are paying for is a philosophy of freedom and creativity. That has to be very important to you to make some of the difficulties of Hampshire worth it. </p>

<p>Finally:
Fendrock--The pool of filmakers who qualify for the advanced classes, in terms of having met the prerequisites, gets smaller, making it easier to get in to them, but yes, they are very popular so you also have to hope for a good registration time. I am not sure how many 5 college students take them. Sorry I can't be more helpful, film is not my area.</p>

<p>Livingparadox--sorry, I guess this answer is too late, but hopefully you found that, yes, parents are always very welcome at any event at Hampshire.</p>

<p>i know this has nothing to do with your question, and sorry. but i just joined and have no idea how to post a question.... ):</p>

<p>I'm a freshman at a local community college, I am writer and also into filom. I was just wondering since it's a very artsy school what the requirements are for admission???</p>

<p>are they looking for someone involved in extracurricular activities???</p>

<p>I'm visiting tomorrow. Is there anything I should make sure I do or see or pay special attention to?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>