No Acceptances: One Kid's Story - A year later...

I didn’t know that Case Western and Worcester’s acceptence rates were so high. (They are good schools for my son’s list too.) But it seems to me that they are only high because there’s a lot of self selection in the applicant pool. Their SAT and GPA stats are higher than many schools that accept a smaller percentage of students.

Just as an example is a kid who statwise is in the top 5% of an applicant pool of a school that accepts 35% of the applicants better off than one who is in the middle of the pack of one that accepts 75%? Which school is the safety? Both?

You’ve added another rule, Marite: Listen to Thy Guidance Counselor.

We didn’t listen to ours when we chose Skidmore as a safety. The gc said, “We have an unpredictable record with Skidmore.” She was trying to warn us about Skidmore’s habit of accepting few of their top applicants and waitlisting the rest. However, because my d. would have loved to attend Skidmore even if that had been her only acceptance, she applied. Although it didn’t matter in the end, we really shouldn’t have treated Skidmore as a safety given what her gc said. Instead, we listened to Skidmore’s official line of “never rejecting top applicants just because we think they will go elsewhere.”

“But it seems to me that they are only high because there’s a lot of self selection in the applicant pool.”

This is why you cannot go by acceptance rate alone.

Calmom wrote:
"So I think the best strategy is one or more safeties that the student is willing to attend – and every other college chosen on the basis of fit, with as many applications as the student fills comfortable with. Yes, the odds of getting into a “match” school are better than a reach – but that is small comfort if the reach is the preferred school – and no matter how you cut it, there is no guarantee of admission at the match school. (If there is, then it is a safety and not a match). "

I think you are saying you’d be fine with a list that is all reaches with one or more safeties. I agree that match schools have NO guarantee of admission. Match schools are in someone’s ballpark. But I am not into the kind of list you suggest because it becomes even more likely that the student could end up at their safeties/likelies, when there are matches in their ballpark that are between the unpredictable reaches and the near guarantee safeties. Many students land at their match schools, which makes sense because Match schools are reasonable/ballpark schools in terms of chances. A list with all reaches and then two safeties could turn out into attending the safeties (not necesssarily a bad thing) when the student had a decent chance of getting into schools in between. I see lots of students with lists on CC with reaches and then a safety and with nothing in between. That kind of list has an increased chance of ending up at one’s safety.

In my D’s case, she LOVED her match schools. I wrote elsewhere that her list of “most favorites”, “favorites that like a lot” and “least favorites but would be happy to attend” did not correlate with the categories of reach, match, safety. In fact, her three most favorites were Yale, Tufts, and Brown. So, she liked Tufts better than Princeton and Penn. Tufts was a match school. When her acceptances roled in and she had to decide where to attend, she picked out three schools to return to for the accepted student events and was going to decide from these three. They were Tufts, Brown and Smith. She knocked out Penn. She liked both Tufts AND Smith (two matches) more than Penn, a reach.

I’ve seen some students on CC call some elite schools safeties, because they just were not Ivies. I definitely disagree with that. My child’s safeties were very likelies. Nothing is guaranteed unless the school accepts every applicant. But these were quite likely. Her matches had a good chance but not nearly as good a chance as her likelies/safeties. But Smith’s admit rate is not that high and she also had a lot of good contacts there that were very encouraging. As well, while Tufts felt like a “high match”, she had in her “pro” pile of her profile that she was a double legacy. We never ever counted on getting in the matches. But her chances at her matches were better than at her reaches. Her chances at her safeties/likelies were very strong and much better than at her matches. We felt confident that of her 8 schools, she would get at least one acceptance…not because she applied to 8 but because of the continuim of chances she had at this continuim of colleges.

By the way, the 40% reaches, 40% matches, 20% safeties was a very rough example of a balanced list but I do not stick to it in any exacting way. It just demonstrates the general balance that is needed in a list. Some students seem to apply to a LOT of schools and in those cases, one can afford to add more reaches. In the end, I think my D’s list was more like 50% reaches, 25% matches, 25% safeties but it was hard to quantify because some schools border reach/match and one might have bordered more match/safety. It truly was a continuim and hard to categorize each in an exacting way. She also had the acceptance at her state U but as I said, her list was made without that and that school had not been considered when forming the list. If I add that, then her safeties comprised 30% of the list.

While MomWaitingforNew brings up a good point about how the odds also differ when you consider certain factors like geography…applying out of your region…that did not work for my kid as she wanted the east coast (her choice), not south, midwest or west. She also had a criteria that she needed to be within distance of skiing and that the college have a ski team that was either a club team or a varsity team. So, for instance, it knocked out a school like Washington U which may have fit some of her other criteria.

But when weighing someone’s odds at a school, many factors go into it including the stats of admitted students and the acceptance rate but also other less tangible things such as where a student comes from. At Lehigh, I have a feeling that there are very few Vermont students. Our assessment of Lehigh as my D’s most likely of her safeties was accurate, I believe and once accepted, they made the package pretty sweet to attract her.

By the way, my D was a financial aid applicant and all her schools had need based aid. We didn’t think that any of them had merit aid but learned that two of them did have merit aid, when she opened the acceptances and had won it! Those were Smith and Lehigh, which again demonstrates our estimation of where she stood in terms of odds at those schools. It seemed as though she was likely to be admitted and it turns out that she stood out in their applicant pools. If one ONLY goes by acceptance rate, then it is not accurate to access chances because for some kids, these schools are reaches. For her, Lehigh was a likely admit and Smith, while a match, had a very good chance. Girls from our high school have gone to Smith and my D’s profile was beyond the ones who had been admitted in the past and we had that indicator as well. Smith was the ONLY school on my D’s list who sent an adcom to visit the HS. My D met with her one on one because nobody else signed up to attend the session. Her GC even talked to the adcom about her. When my D went for the campus visit, it turned out that there were only two students in the info. session and the adcom remembered my D from seeing her at the HS. My D also had a campus interview with her. She also had an alum interview back home. She met with a professor in her intended major. She initiated meeting with all three coaches of her three varsity sports and while she was NOT recruited, she then maintained ongoing email contacts with these folks who were encouraging to her. One had my D meet the other girls on the team. Then she got in and got the Stride Scholar designation. After she got in, one team had every girl sign a card telling my D they hoped she’d come. Smith is one class act. My D was so drawn by them and it was a school that got onto her list later than any other school because she had not initially wanted all girls. Even NOW that my D doesn’t even go to Smith, she races in one sport against them and sees that one coach every weekend and he still is encouraging to my D! So, even though nobody recruited her, she had positive vibes from many at the school. While Smith was a match school, we felt she stood a better than 50-50 chance. Again, someone’s stats must be weighed in relation to the school, too, and even if the school accepts 53% of applicants as Smith did at the time, they accept at a higher rate for someone with her stats. I think this is clear by the outcome of being one of 50 Stride Scholars.

Also, when someone says Conn College may not be a safety as it accepts less than 50%, it must be put in context. My D also had Lehigh which accepts 48% and Smith which accepts 53% and so it is not like Conn College was tacked onto a list of all reaches. That would be an UNWISE list. Her list was a continuim of chances and when in total, seemed to indicate that she would not be shut out of going to college. As well, while Conn College accepts 32% of applicants, my D’s chances were greater than 32% given her profile and stats in comparison to admitted students at that school. Students with her profile are admitted at a higher rate there than some other students. Again, this estimation was accurate. The girl ranked sixth in her class did not get into Conn College. In fact, she did not get into any of her colleges BUT UVM (had schools like Vassar, Williams, Amherst, Conn College on her list). My D’s profile across the board was higher than this other girl who is strong but her list was unwise…I’d say her schools were all reaches and then one safety, UVM, where she ended up. Had she had some matches mixed in, she very well may have ended up at one.

I am noticing that students from competitive high school environments where a majority of students are applying to elite schools, tend to call some very selective schools safeties. I guess in their world, those schools sound “safe” because they expect to attend an elite school. When I hear people call Tufts, Georgetown or Rice a safety, I don’t agree even without knowing their stats because I can’t see any of these schools being a likely admit. For top students, they are probably a match. When one applies to Ivies and schools of that sort and then tack on Tufts or Georgetown, that is a recipe for trouble.

Momwaitingfornew…I agree, one can’t assess their chances by acceptance rate alone.

Did Skidmore accept your D? The way you are writing the post, I’m thinking maybe not. If not, it is interesting, given she got into Smith. Ya just never know.

I don’t think anyone from our school has gone to Yale or Princeton. Yale and Princeton do not even send a rep to the big college fair in our state! My D did not get into Yale and she was waitlisted at Princeton, as was the sal the year before her. The two reaches she got into, Brown and Penn, had taken someone from our school before. Smith had also taken kids from our school before.

“My D also had Lehigh which accepts 48% and Smith which accepts 53%”

I believe that rates to the above schools were much lower this year. With 11,000 applicants for only about 1000 spots, Lehigh may have gone down just below 30% since they have been getting high yields in the past few years. (It will be even worse next year as the yield was higher than expected again.)

Smith is probably in the 45% range now, maybe lower. Based on results at my d’s school, Bryn Mawr, Mount Holyoke, and even Wellesley were easier to get into this year. Of course, that’s purely anecdotal. But if Bryn Mawr has a stated 51% acceptance rate and 100% of the applicants (6!) from my d’s hs school were accepted and yet only 50% were accepted at Smith, I would have to say that Smith was more stringent than a 51% acceptance rate.

(The reason I say that Wellesley was easier to get into is that it also accepted 100%, 3 students, but it’s difficult to compare to Smith since there were no cross-applications; the students liked either Wellesley OR Smith.)

“Did Skidmore accept your D? The way you are writing the post, I’m thinking maybe not. If not, it is interesting, given she got into Smith. Ya just never know.”

My d. was waitlisted at Skidmore AND Haverford. She got into all her match schools and one of her safeties (Dickinson). Rejected by her three Ivies. Based on the (somewhat unreliable) news that Haverford is taking 40% of its waitlist, she probably would have gotten in there if she had taken the waitlist spot, but, by then, she had already fallen in love with Smith. For her, I think she couldn’t have chosen a better school.

Interestingly, her gc considered Haverford a match while we considered it a reach, so it really is difficult to pigeon-hole a continuum. Besides, the continuum changes during senior year. Given what my d. accomplished her senior fall, many of her “match” schools became safeties (Lehigh, Mount Holyoke, Bryn Mawr), but by then it was too late to visit more schools, especially since she was on the varsity tennis team and could not miss practices/matches. Her list needed to be solidified by the end of August since we all agreed that she would not apply to a college that she had not visited and liked.

Hi, Yes, I understand how it turned out at your school though it is hard to say overall beyond the results at your school.

Let me qualify what I had written. My D that I was referring to (my oldest child), graduated high school in 2004. I am going by the acceptance rates she had to go by when making her applications in the fall of 2003 and I used the college guidebooks/directories that were 2003 editions. I know the rates change and would differ today.

MomWaitingForNew, my D loved Smith and I think your D is going to be very happy there. I did not know your D plays tennis. So does mine. My D met with the tennis coach and team at Smith (she did two visits there) and they were all very nice! She had hoped to play on that team if she attended and I believe she would be able to. I hope your D will get to play there.

Lots of really really good students go to Smith. Several have gone from our area. While in the end, my D chose Brown, she liked lots about Smith. She did prefer coed, however.

Brown was my d’s first choice. :slight_smile: Smith and Brown have a lot of applicants in common.

My d. won’t be playing tennis at Smith - unless she changes her mind - because there are too many other activities she’d like to explore. The only ECs she’ll probably carry over from hs will be orchestra and lit mag.

The definition of a safety is very fluid, and highly dependent on the … applicant. For that reason, one cannot rely on simplistic attributes such as percentage of admissions. In fact, if the thresshold were to be a 50% admission rate, most our 4000+ colleges would be safeties instead of being the matches they truly are.

Further, when discussing safeties -or highly likely, as I prefer to call them, one should look at the early admission statistics and rolling admissions. While Smith’s admission at close to 60% should not be a safety for anyone, for students who can afford to participate in the Early Decision process, an admission rate of more than 80% becomes as high a likely as feasible, and becomes very similar to the less selective Connecticut College.

I cannot stress enough the importance for alleviate one’s nervousness and boost the self-esteem that a letter of admission from a school brings. Behind the cliche, “love thy safety” there is a more compelling truism: the need to build an application list from the bottom-up as opposed from the top-down. It is undeniable that the reaches and hard matches carry more appeal, but it’s a mistake to get … carried away by the Siren’s songs and become fixated on landing one of the elusive tickets to Shangri-La.

If students were to spend as much time in defining highly likely schools as in chasing the high reaches, the need for multiple safeties would be reduced to a minimum. In fact, most students should not have problems finding a “safety” that is still a dream school. :slight_smile:

“Smith and Brown have a lot of applicants in common.”

MWFN, would you mind sharing a source for your statement, or is it commonly accepted knowledge in applicants who pick both Brown and Smith? Are there lots of common applicants at Smith and the Ivies?

Also, any idea about the commonality in accepted students at Brown and Smith?

Xiggi, lots of good points in your post #171.

I don’t have any stats on this but when we went to the accepted student open house at Smith, it did seem that there were many we ran into who applied to both Brown and Smith.

One thing both schools have in common is the open curricululm.

I also have met in real life and on CC those who applied to Smith and to Ivies.

The Fiske Guide, under Smith, lists Brown as an “overlap” of where students who apply to Smith, also commonly apply.

I have the same sources as soosievt. The Princeton Review Best 357 Colleges lists Brown as a school Smith applicants often prefer. On Brown’s page, Smith is listed as a “sometimes prefer” school. The two girls who are going to Smith from my d’s school both applied to Brown. At Smith’s open campus, I met a lot of young women who applied to both Brown and Smith, and who had either not gotten into Brown or were deciding between the two.

The two share more than the open curriculum. Both places are known for political activism and for being less preppy and more artsy than schools with comparable academics. Both have compact campuses and are located in small New England cities. (Northampton is smaller than Providence, of course, but the East Side of Providence, where Brown is located, has a feel similar, though not identical, to Northampton.)

Xiggi, how did you arrive at a 80% acceptance rate for Smith?

xiggi, that is so true. I’ve spoken with so many parents of seniors this year whose children did not get into any of their reach schools. Many didn’t get into any but what they called safeties, and were disappointed. I don’t see the point in creating a list of likelies (I like that term!) that one doesn’t like. It seems careless to throw together a list of schools that may end up being one’s primary options.

Mathmom, In this case Andison’s stats put him in the upper ranks by GPA and SAT score AND the acceptance rate was over 50%, which covered the bases of a kid like Andison on all three counts.

As to the question of which of the two scenarios is safer - it’s the school that accepts 75% where you’re right in the middle over the 35% school where you’re in the top 5%. That’s because at the more selective school you could easily be rejected as being overqualified, unlikely to attend, or any number of things. Again, to me a low acceptance rate is the clear sign that enrollment management of some type is a reality. These schools are looking for something, whether it’s geographical diversity, fit, or the proverbial tuba player or athlete to enhance their community. Momwaitingfornew’s experience with Skidmore is a good example of this, as is a kid I know who was rejected from Emory and got into Yale! The higher the acceptance rate of the school, the more unlikely that is to be the case.

How do you choose schools?

How do you define best fit college? I am still confused as I can only think generous need based or merit based aid Plus admission. Maybe if a kid wants to go to particular school that does not have strong departments but then kids change all the time. Mine got chaned from a math/scince person to a humanities person.

Please enlighten me.

You should have applied to easier colleges to get into just as safetys

collegein07, we spend a lot of time on this topic here in the Parent Forum. A lot. I gather from your post that finances are a key component for your family. So questions that will help you identify a good “fit” include: does the school meet 100% of need? does the school offer merit aid at all and, if so, what is the profile of typical recipients? what is the process for applying? does it offer small amounts to a lot of kids or huge grants to only a handful? You can find whole threads on this topic here on the Parent Forum.

Other components of fit: [ul][<em>]it can be strength in particular fields, but as you say kids do change their minds. As an example, our S planned an Engineering major, but we wanted to allow for a possible change of mind, so schools which “fit” him also offered the full gamut of Arts and Sciences and Business programs.[</em>]size of school[<em>]location: climate, urban/rural, proximity to home… [</em>]atmosphere of school: liberal/conservative, religious affiliation or not, big sports rah-rah or not, lots of intramural and club sports (perhaps a particular sport) or not, frat/sorority heavy or not, “preppy”/artsy/whatever[/ul] Sometimes it is all about how the kid feels when visiting the campus. Of course, sometimes they appear to make ridiculous snap judgments after nano-seconds on the campus. This might be foolish or it might be a well-honed gut instinct worth trusting.

The above is just the beginning of “fit.” But I hope it helps answer your question.

Susan, In my mind your daughter’s list WAS a safe one in that in that you had U Vt in the bag. That’s the kind of safety I would like everyone to have on their list, not necessarily their state school, but one you know is as sure a thing as you can get.

Again, don’t get me wrong. I think in reality schools like Smith or U Rochester or Lehigh are likely (in the conversational sense) for <em>some</em> students. I would call them “safe matches” but I’m still uncomfortable calling them my insurance policy in these days of crazy admission results ! Enuf said. Roshke :slight_smile: