No Extracurricular Activities = Automatic Rejection? CAN I APPEAL THIS?

<p>Well my friend has awesome stats, and a pretty good courseload. However, he didn’t put any extracurricular activities/community service/awards at all on the application, even though he HAS them. </p>

<p>And because of this, he got rejected from a lot of UC’s he deserved to get into, but did not get into any of them (besides merced).</p>

<p>could he use this information in his appeal? what’s the best way to phrase “i forgot to fill in my extracurricular activities” in his appeal without sounding irresponsible?</p>

<p>any help would be great, my friend really deserves to get into at the very least, a mid-tier UC like UCI or UCD. great GPA, great SAT’s, and awesome essays. only thing holding him back is a little mistake.</p>

<p>why didn't he put any of this info on his application? How could he be so careless?</p>

<p>^He"s not too chummy with the application system, but he didnt feel that putting down extracurricular activities was important, so he just skipped over them like it was a questionnaire. =/</p>

<p>Your titled this thread "Can I appeal this?" Why would you appeal on behalf of your friend?</p>

<p>You then said, "...he got rejected from a lot of UC's he deserved to get into..." but filling out the application properly can be construed as a basic measure of deservedness i.e. if he can't fill out the application properly, the admissions committee can't expect him to succeed if admitted.</p>

<p>Items omitted from an application are not grounds for appeal. Only new information that has happened since the applicant sent the application can be used in an appeal. That new information has to be significant i.e. student won a major award last month.</p>

<p>You know there are other factors. Perhaps the person was an immigrant or an ESL person or a first generation college student applying at a less endowed school without any of the push from the teachers (Honestly, at my school, NONE of us knew what the SAT 2's were till junior year). There's always those factors, we can't assume that he was "careless". I'm sure that if your friend REALLY pushes his case and makes a COMPELLING argument on his behalf that he forgot to put the info in, he has a chance of getting into a UC he deserves.</p>

<p>Iirokotree and dntw8up, why would you just assume that he's careless?
Thank you kaii, for the only real help this thread has provided me with.
My friend is a first generation college student, and our school doesn't exactly push their students to apply for these colleges, so he didn't know much about the college application process. I was with him when he filled out his grades and SAT scores, and I assumed he would know what to do because he already had his essays (which were great) finished.</p>

<p>And dntw8up, why are you getting on my case about something like my title? What difference does it make that my title is "CAN I APPEAL THIS" rather than "CAN MY FRIEND APPEAL THIS" when the answer is the same thing? The important thing is that people come into the thread knowing what question the OP needs an answer to.</p>

<p>And btw, if you're assuming I'm using the "my friend" thing to cover up for myself, I'm not. I filled in my extracurricular activities, and have been accepted to UCM, UCR, UCSC, and UCD so far.</p>

<p>aye, if i were your friend, i would seriously appeal. they've got nothing to lose and so much more to gain. make a compelling argument and beg the universities to re-consider their application. the worst they can do is ignore you, so why not try?</p>

<p>I've heard from several people on CC that "new and compelling" is defined as having occurred since the application period to warrant a reevaluation, but I've also heard of cases where appeals were won without something like that.</p>

<p>I sent my appeals to UCLA, UCSD, UCD, and UCSB yesterday. I already had them prepared, and I knew I had to at least try or else I would always wonder "what if...," and as others have said, it can't hurt to try. The worst that will happen is that they'll say no a second time.</p>

<p>Tell your friend to just go for it and send in their appeal(s).</p>

<p>Of course you should appeal. The worse that can happen is that they say no, and that is where you are now. Try to help your friend write a decent write up explaining his careless error is due to his/your school's bad policies in not helping the students with college applications. The UC's will surely understand circumstances like this, as they give many extra points for coming from bad school and students who still succeed there.</p>

<p>From what else I have seen of dntw8up's posts, they all tend to be negative and snotty. He/she does appear to have his/her head up their butt.</p>