No more car. Problem?

<p>So, I’ve run into a pretty significant mechanical problem with my car, thats going to cost more to fix than its worth. There’s a stream of other upcoming high mileage items that will need replaced too. It looks like I’m going to be donating my car. </p>

<p>This means I’ll be going to Alabama without a car. I get out of the military too soon to justify getting a replacement, even a cheap one, especially with other bills I would really like to pay off before becoming unemployed. </p>

<p>So how hard is it going to be going to school without a car? All indications are that I will have to live off campus as a spring semester entrant. </p>

<p>Also, given that I won’t have a car, should I be looking at any specific apartment complexes in particular?</p>

<p>Some of the off campus complexes have bus service and some are close enough to walk. I suggest looking at those. Also, many just ride a bike, but there will be rain on some days. </p>

<p>I suggest looking at complexes that are closer to the bldgs of your intended major.</p>

<p>Engineering Buildings are mainly in the northwest corner of campus right? The only thing I really see there off campus is Preston Place Student Apartments, but they have horrible reviews online.</p>

<p>On the VA website it says they have a living-learning community for Vets, have you checked into that? Also the Campus Veterans Association may have someone looking for a roommate for the spring.</p>

<p>I’m not eligible for the LLC as a spring admit. Its a year long thing. Same for the Vets only seminar. </p>

<p>I’ll look into the campus vets association thing.</p>

<p>I tried sending this via PM but I can’t see that it worked.
Here is the CVA facebook <a href=“http://www%5B/url%5D”>http://www</a>. facebook.com/groups/65624165873/</p>

<p>There are plenty of apartments within walking/bike distance plus many have shuttles. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.</p>

<p>Yes, look into all the apartments that are within easy walking or commuting distance. There is a PUBLIX supermarket right on the edge of campus where you can do your grocery shopping, use coupons and their weekly circular to keep costs down. You can bike to downtown and walk there as well, as long as you like exercise. There is a terrific rec center right on campus. You can use the Crimson Ride bus service to get all around campus and there is an airport shuttle to get to/from campus during the scheduled breaks. There are also buses that go to Midtown Village on Sunday only. There is a hospital with an emergency room right on the other side of campus. Taxis are also pretty inexpensive for short distances. All in all, I think it is very doable without a car. Many students get along fine without a car, of course you do give up some flexibility. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Don’t forget that you can rent the Zip cars for off campus needs also.</p>