Non-traditional student programs for B students [3.3 college GPA, 40 credits, transfer student from community college, philosophy major]

Hello CC! I’m restarting my college search as a non-traditional student. So far I’ve found quite a few non-trad programs at Women’s Colleges and I plan to apply. Unfortunately, I’ve found that many of these programs seem out of reach for B students.

Does anyone have any recommendations for schools to apply to? My gpa is 3.3 and I want to major in Philosophy. I identify as female and would like to stay in the Midwest, the North East, or the South.

Any programs would be appreciated because I’m sure it could help others too.

Thank you!

I assume you have looked at the programs at Smith and Wellesley.

There are many degree completion/adult learner/continuing education degree programs but many of them give a BLA (Bachelor of Liberal Arts) and don’t offer a focused major in a subject like philosophy. BU Metropolitan College and online degree completion, Harvard Extension, Columbia College of General Studies, Lesley adult learner- these are just off the top of my head.

There are also no-traditional programs like Goddard or Union Institute.

However, for philosophy, I think you can apply as a traditional student to almost any college or university where you can envision admittance. Have you considered a state university or college?

3 Likes

Also, St John’s College might suit

2 Likes

Community colleges and state universities often serve significant populations of nontraditional students (over age 24, married, military veteran, etc).

Is 3.3 your high school GPA, and have you taken no college courses after leaving high school?

Thank you for those suggestions! I have looked at Smith and Wellesley. But those schools seem to be heavy reaches for me. While Smith’s transfer acceptance rate was about 41% last year, Wellesley’s was a little over 5%. I’d consider both of these schools out of reach with my stats.

I have considered state schools and other universities but I honestly prefer the environment and built in support systems that come with the non-traditional programs. Any resources are greatly appreciated because I’ve had a lot of difficulty finding them.

Thank you again

Hi! 3.3 is my college gpa and I’ve taken a little over 40 credits.

Thank you!

Can you return to the college you attended before?

State universities may be relatively friendly to transfer students. You may want to consider enrolling in a community college this year to take any needed additional preparation courses for transfer (general education and major preparation). State of residency?

We don’t know your age, whether you work or have a family, and what your budget it. I tried to PM you but here are a few more thoughts:

I think some state universities and colleges are very supportive and friendly to non-traditional students, and in my state U, it is possible to attend part-time and work, or go full-time. Your maturity may get you noticed and you may find unexpected opportunities.

Harvard Extension requires you to take 3 classes and do well for admission, and after that there is financial aid. BU has an interesting online degree completion program (check it out( and Metropolitan College has a lot of non-traditional students with great faculty. Again, these are just in my area and I assume it is relatively easy to find similar programs.

My daughter is just finishing up her adult learner bachelor’s degree at Lesley. Lesley has online, in-person and hybrid classes, but philosophy is not strong there. Psychology, holistic psychology and education are stronger.

Look at the Colleges that Change Lives website for ideas-? I love Clark U., which may be a fit.

For what it’s worth, here is a list that appears a few times online and includes Hampshire and Lewis and Clark.

Best Colleges for Nontraditional Students - 2022 HelpToStudy.com 2023

4 Likes

I attended a community college. I apologize, but I prefer to not post my state of residency for my own safety. Please know that I have visited my state school twice and spoke with admissions counselors. I ultimately feel that smaller LACs would be a better fit for me.

I really appreciate all of your help :blush:

I’m unfamiliar with how CC works. I would love for you to PM me! Is it not working?

To give you a general sense of where I’m at: I am at a stage in my life where I am able to pack up and attend school. My grandparents left me a significant fund for my education. I also have no kids and am not married. Right now is the best time for me to do it as I shouldn’t need to work.

Thank you so much for all of these resources. I am familiar with CTCL and will make sure to give it a more in depth look.

Congratulations to your daughter as well! :tada:

Most adults are not willing to live in dorms with teenagers. I would look for a commuter school in a city with large numbers of nontraditional students if you wish to avoid that. It can be nice to have other adults as classmates since it is likely your interests differ from the 18-22 set. Liberal arts colleges can be isolated, insular, and fairly homogeneous in population, so you should expect to standout.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. This is why I’m looking for non-traditional student programs because they give me the support and community you are describing. Unfortunately, even when I was that age I stood out due to a variety of factors. I’m in therapy working on it but I do prefer LACs. I appreciate your help.

How about someplace like Simmons? Small, all women, I expect it is supportive. Diverse.

6 Likes

Thank you so much! This is exactly the information that I’m looking for. I see they have the Dix Scholars program which is specifically for non-traditional students too. I’ll definitely reach out to them. Thank you :blush:

4 Likes

Minneapolis/St. Paul is a nice metro area, and there are 3 LACs there that have programs for non-traditional students: St. Catherine’s (women’s college), Augsburg and Hamline. All 3 accept B students. Like many colleges, all 3 were church affiliated as part of their founding, but I don’t think Augsburg or Hamline are anymore. St. Kate’s still is, but is liberal --I know LGBT, Jewish and atheist women who say they fit in and felt supported. All 3 belong to a consortium in the Twin Cities which also allows you to take classes as Macalester (liberal) and St. Thomas (mildly conservative.)

2 Likes

Wow! Wow! Thank you so much :relaxed: I’m not familiar with any of these schools, which is great. I never would have found them without your help!

So far I’ve used the Women’s College Coalition website, Niche, College Xpress, and the Common Data Set to start my search. I’m so glad I made this post because I felt like I hit a wall.

I truly appreciate all of these resources :heart:

(I have some cleaning and errands to do so I can’t respond until this afternoon. Thank you everyone!)

5 Likes

I totally get what you are looking for, as do others here. I do wonder if you need a program that is specifically for non-traditional students. Clearly you are after an experience, not just the degree, and I am happy for you that you have this chance to do it.

Is there a geographic area that you prefer?

You could consider a place like Bennington…here is a local resource
AAUW Scholarships for Non-Traditional Women Students | Bennington (VT) Branch

Goddard has residencies for 10 days per semester, during which you live with a diverse group of people with similar interests, workshop and meet with mentors. Then you work independently with a mentor.

Eugene Lang at the New School?

You seem to prefer the residential model…I think dorms could work for you but understand that dorms set aside for non-traditional students appeals.

1 Like

Simmons is a great suggestion! There’s also Agnes Scott in Atlanta, which is a great school - I’m not sure they have as formal a support structure for nontraditional students as Simmons has, though.

Guilford College in NC is a historically Quaker LAC that is very diverse and particularly welcoming to nontraditional students. They have a philosophy minor, but not a major. If one of their other majors (like Peace and Conflict studies, for example… or their self-designed Integrative Studies major) with a philosophy minor would work for you, it could be worth considering.

Bard’s Return To College program could be worth a look: Returning to College Program
Connecticut College is a little reachier than others that have been mentioned, but still less so than Smith and Wellesley. Non-Traditional Applicants · Connecticut College
Trinity College in Hartford might work: Trinity IDP for Adult Learners - Admissions & Aid

4 Likes

Mount Holyoak and Mass College of Liberal Arts. Both are very LGBTQ+ friendly and small supportive LACs. Simmons and Lesley are also good choices but cost of living will be higher in Boston than in Western MA.

2 Likes